X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• s14brent
    replied
    Originally posted by jeenyus View Post
    is it worth getting your injectors tested or would it be easier to just get different injectors? I'm curious cause i've never done it and I have no idea of any of the advantages.
    I have no idea what your end goal is. can you afford the downtime? I purchased these 24lb injectors but wanted to make sure they were working and I needed new seals anyways.

look up MEPEH here on r3v and let him know what you need. He offers a discount for members here for servicing your injectors. If not you can just buy a full set of replacements from him I'm sure.

edit* just click the link below

Leave a comment:

• jeenyus
    replied
    is it worth getting your injectors tested or would it be easier to just get different injectors? I'm curious cause i've never done it and I have no idea of any of the advantages.

Leave a comment:

• s14brent
    replied
    went a bit overboard on the gold foil

I have a friend who's doing an obd1 m52 into his early e36. I ordered a set of detent pins and we had a "tranny gangbang" lol

replaced the throw out bearing, added an e39 steel pivot pin and changed out the cracked guibo

started to prep the hood hinge assembly, but turns out I'll need a new rod assembly because the bushings are cracked on both ends =\

Sent my 24lb tms injectors to MEPEH to be tested/cleaned. I also got a a new FPR for the fuel rail. (before pic)

then I got busy with work; NYE then CES back to back, and then I got distracted at refurbishing a blast box. Got it delivered, previous owner had replaced the window with glass, and welded all the seams of the box. (they were left exposed and needed to be wire wheeled, threw some self etching primer and some paint i had laying around to prevent future rust issues. took out the rubber hose/air attachments (worm clamped) and replaced it with all threaded brass fittings. Added a psi gauge and a ball valve later so i could close it off without blow back.

After initial use, I decided to take apart the gun and step up the bore for a bit better flow. My shop vac didn't like being hooked directly up to the box, so I added a diy water trap so I won't kill the vac's motor collecting all that abrasive material. I have been wanting to do this for such a long time. Now prepping parts for paint or powdercoat will be much easier, and it still cost me less than a brand new harbor frieght unit altogether since I had most of the parts/shop vac at home.

Next I have to do a trans tunnel card board trace before i lay some actual heat shielding material to be layed down.. pretty excited, next step I guess is mating the engine/trans and doing all the things between the two (pilot bearing, rear main seal, clutch/flywheel, etc.

I might be able to put the motor in the engine bay soon which is beyond exciting since it's taken this long to get here. more updates soon!!
    Last edited by s14brent; 08-27-2020, 06:32 AM.

Leave a comment:

• s14brent
    replied
    Originally posted by CubbyChowder View Post
    Nice work on everything! I can tell you take pride in your cars and the work you do on them, that was nice of you to get the Cosmos m3 all tidied up before you let a family member use it. Subscribed!
    thanks! I just checked out your roundie! That's actually what I've been looking for - for a while now. Also......wish you still made those roof racks! But I probably couldn't afford it right now with christmas gifts for the fam.

Here's a few images of the engine bay update.

took all the masking off here:

and started applying this dei heat reflective gold tape.

will take more pics when firewall is completed. I'm super excited with progress but time is limited!
    Last edited by s14brent; 08-26-2020, 03:05 AM.

Leave a comment:

• CubbyChowder
    replied
    Nice work on everything! I can tell you take pride in your cars and the work you do on them, that was nice of you to get the Cosmos m3 all tidied up before you let a family member use it. Subscribed!

Leave a comment:

• s14brent
    replied
    Originally posted by jeenyus View Post
    A+ work mate.
    Originally posted by Kershaw View Post
    You work hard and it shows, great work. Bringing the e36 m3 back instead of parting it out was awesome.
    Originally posted by Frank88ix View Post
    Loving this thread! keep it up, its very motovating.
    Thanks guys'!! I'm trying to do the most I can with what little time I have to work on these cars without it affecting the quality and effort. I can hopefully put all my focus on the e30 now that the other cars are road-worthy! I'm still wondering if I need a working handbrake vs hydraulic, I can always keep the car in gear and keep a wheel chock in the trunk LOL

Leave a comment:

• Frank88ix
    replied
    Loving this thread! keep it up, its very motovating.

Leave a comment:

• Kershaw
    replied
    You work hard and it shows, great work. Bringing the e36 m3 back instead of parting it out was awesome.

Leave a comment:

• jeenyus
    replied
    A+ work mate.

Leave a comment:

• s14brent
    replied
    Been a long time since I've updated. I finally got some progress done on the e30. The cosmos e36 m3 is out of my hands and with a family member now. It's been hard being able to work on the cars with it this summer being 100 degrees during the evening and lately in the 30's at night. I'll catch you guys' up on the cosmos real quick.

Iggee seat covers came in. made a huge difference. I found a comfort seat fs locally in not much better condition, but at least no tears. what a nightmare that was. also changed out the recline gear on the passenger side.

never again.

looks way better now despite my normal distaste for covers.
    OEM hood/L fender and nose panel were all prepped and painted like this

new rear rotors/parking brake hardware to fix the lack of hand-brake

swapped the bumper trim from my daily e36 m3 and resprayed all trim with SEM bumper trim paint

I had to burn those ricer headlights, I couldn't find a late model nose panel so went with a 95 panel/hood from a friend who was parting one out. I picked up a square set of oem bmw polished ltw's with tires cheap-locally.

missing LF wheel well plastics and brake ducts were replaced.

samco hoses before the plastic duct was put back on - engine bay looks so clean

Unfortunately weather was super fucked and unpredictable during painting process. the hood ended up getting rained on, so will be needed to be redone sometime. fitment was bang on with the oem stuff which was nice. Cracked windshield was replaced and then I had to drive the car approx 100 miles to pass the damn drive cycle since the battery had died during repair process. In hindsight, smog first people!

Got an old school alignment from a friends' dad, then delivered it to said family member to drive.

Meanwhile my daily has had quite some bad luck. Clutch master went out, ended up replacing clutch pedal bushings for akg brass units, and changing out the uuc ss line with a newer (older had a tear).

then I hit a pothole and cracked one of my fiske fm5's. The rim had some curb damage, so I've been waiting on dropping it off for repair when I have time.

Now back to what this damn threads about!!

I had the engine bay all prepped and primed since early June. (right before I acquired the cosmos)

I ended up buying the steering wheel I wanted initially for the car. 350mm wood/polished nardi deep corn.

also acquired an afe intake tube locally. mocked up the mishimoto intake boot, 540i maf and got all couplers and a new filter for it.

fast forward to black friday...let's not bring up the number of nights I stayed up thinking of what engine paint color to go with...(ended up going alipne white II which was a solid choice). I ordered a mishimoto radiator from catuned and decided it was time to paint the engine bay since I had a week off. I was very fortunate to have help from a buddy to mask everything off, as I would have not done as good of a job.

It actually took most of the day to prep the surface and mask everything. We shot a base coat down, and pushed it in since we lost day light.

base coat drying overnight.

That night I purchased some heat-barrier gold tape for the fire wall and some other dei products for the trans tunnel.
    and here's the before & after photo of the engine bay.

anyways, just excited to get moving on the car....so many things are undecided....such as e46 lca's and e36 tie rods, (the lca's on the car are 2 years old, and it's been sitting for a year, and I replaced the tie rods when i did the m3 rack upgrade) and I'm not 100% sure I want to do the dual caliper conversion/hydraulic hand brake setup, as I'm thinking I should make this more of a track-ready street car vs a dedicated hpde/drift car. My main goal is to get the motor in and running asap. I'm about to do all the detent pins on the zf trans this week, and hopefully start with the heat shielding. The rear subframe drop is bothering me too, since I'd have to reinforce the subframe and diff mounts, weld in the camber adjustment, replace all the bushings with poly...and possibly plumb the hydraulic hand brake at the same time....baby steps though
    Last edited by s14brent; 08-26-2020, 03:11 AM.

Leave a comment:

• s14brent
    replied
    lol, i can't comment on it....all i know is it was imported from canada :dunno:

Leave a comment:

• 2mAn
    replied
    Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
    PICS OF THE PORSCHE NOW! Is it a real RUF?
    dont ignore me :blowup:

Leave a comment:

• GDA
    replied
    Nice resurrection. That E36 M3 looks to be making a solid comeback.

Leave a comment:

• s14brent
    replied
    Unfortunately I haven't had much progress with the e30, been having some respiratory flare-ups and staying away from any paint projects for the time being.

this is as far as I got on the engine bay. -cleaned up and primered.I found a few areas that needed pulling out from the accident, welded up all the holes I made to pull it out so you'd never know.

spent way too much time trying to clean up these fc calipers. Next time I'll be powdercoating for sure. (this was taken when still wet...looks flatter assembled)

*no longer e30 content*

Meanwhile I picked up some fortune auto coilovers for my e36 m3. my old coils were fine, I just wanted front camber adjustment and the swift springs to be honest.

installed the fronts almost immediatly after receiving the coils, got to the rears to mount the struts and immediately went had "WTF" moment

the previous owner must have stripped the rear trailing arm shock mount and welded in this stud...the angle looks really "off" but it's actually pretty close to the way it's supposed to be. however the shitty welds and the grinding of the actual stud did not stomach well. I found a passenger rear trailing arm from a part out on bimmerforums. it came with the hub and parking brake cable attached. (good thing too!) I ordered oem bushings, and wheel bearing and pressed them in.

I also sourced some TMS rtab limiters locally. When it came to finally replacing the arm, the hub and axle was seized in side the trailing arm. I actually broke a slide hammer attachment and a broke a 3lb sledge. I was using a socket on the axle trying to beat it out......I ended up ruining the threads on the axle even though the socket was over it. What a nightmare.....I also had issues trying to source another 38mm axle, esp. on a weekend. I never ran into such a disaster in one area. ended up cutting out the parking cable (since i knew I had a spare), and just removing my stud conversion from the hub. the axle was eventually removed using a 3 jaw puller.... One thing that was kind of a plus in this shitty situation was that the previous owner had poly bushings installed....I installed the limiters....but upon further research I'll be removing them in the future.

this is where the story gets funny....38mm axles are NLA....and could not be found anywhere (napa,carquest, autozone, o'reilly's, dealer, etc) I found a few on bimmerforums but they would need immediate rebuilds and actually to this day have not pm'd me back about shipping costs. I was talking to a local guy about his e36 m3 he had for sale. (97 auto, 160k). He had the car for sale for a long time, the car had some "cooling issues-but never overheated) the car was plasti-dipped blue...and was actually over all the rubber seals, etc. The front bumper was sagging, and it had some pretty ricey additions. (fender grilles, 1pc headlights, m3 colored fender stickers and a magnaflow that was held up on hopes and dreams). car had some slight fender damage as well. After a compression test (174-179), and confirming it had the 38mm axles I needed, I picked it up for a good $1800!! clean title as well!

The car had an aluminum radiator, shroud and electric fan so that was a score, the electric fan didn't even fit and was rubbing against the water pump (smh) so that was the real issue.
    horrible photo from that night after i cleaned it up a bit

well...anyone remember this car? (from earlier in my thread)

I used the spare parts from there to get the car back running right. (radiator, fanshroud, clutch fan, expansion tank mounts, etc.) I also replaced the cracked air box and found a drop-in K&N filter in the old one!
    Curiosity got to me and I decided to see what was underneath the horrible plasti-dip job.

My fingers were sore, and I didn't get all the dip off that night.

the car looked 100x better immediately, even with the primered front end!
    Initially I was going to pull the motor, and sell as a roller, but the car ended up being too nice to do that too. I also have a family member that can use the car right now, so I decided to try and get it close to stock as possible.

Car does not overheat but the clutch fan was hitting the fanshroud. - a problem to fix later. parked the car and soaked the axle bolts with pb blaster overnight. The next day, I pulled the axle and got my daily driver back on the road (monday night) I drove around my car very happily after.
    Skip to Wednesday, still no axle replacement sorted, but I did order a 27x1.5 (thanks realoem for providing info) steel die to try....but when it arrived...I didn't have a wrench that opened larger than 2". Harbor freight had one, and it worked ridiculously well. problem solved.

The next day I went to the junkyard before work at night. I got some headlights and a passenger corner (headlights were yellowed but better than the rice that was on the car), and 1 good hood shock since I was using vice grips to clamp/hold it up. I ended up buffing them and they came out very well.

I also found a local to trade a stock m3 exhaust with. Also found someone selling an x-brace. Since I am going to let a family member drive this, I didn't want the chance for them to crack the pan.

I took out the sound system (sub & amp) and ended up installing some rear-shock reinforcements, and the koni shocks I just took off my daily driver.

I took out the bright blue pioneer head unit (eye sore) and installed a rover cd43 that I used to have in my m3. I also installed the old dice unit I had for aux. Still does not come out clear unfortunately. but it looks much better!!

I then addressed the clutch fan rubbing issue by checking all the mounts. motor mounts are in ok shape, but the trans mounts were DONE. I had a set of uuc blacks that I swapped out for the blue's a while back.

I ordered some iggee seat covers since the front seats are all ripped up. (3-5 week delivery time) and right now am just waiting for a few consecutive days off to prep the bumper, grille panel, and hood for paint. (back to square one!). I was initially looking for a replacement fender, but after I found out the fender grilles were stick-on's, I think this will be fine until I can find a stock cosmos fender I can just bolt right on. I also flushed the brake lines, threw in some ATE gold, and also ran through 2qts of powersteering fluid (semi-flush). I'll be doing the diff, auto trans as well. Oil was done just recently, so I just topped it off - but this is how the car sits as of now.

hopefully I can get this project done/out of the way so I can resume work on the e30!!
    Last edited by s14brent; 08-26-2020, 03:13 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Nai
    replied
    Originally posted by s14brent View Post

Originally posted by s14brent View Post
    here's a photo of it before I pulled the motor to see how the bbs rs' fit.

Damn, a facelift bronzit 4-door sure looks nice! Especially with those wheels! (I wouldn't put a spoiler on the boot, though)

Nice that you are breathing new life in this E30. :)

Leave a comment:

Working...
X