No announcement yet.

92 318i Cabrio vs 05 Dodge Ram.. I lost

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You can clearly see in the video that the ram started entering your side, at one point it appears he's going to stop and looks like he sees you and then just says screw it can just creeps through the lanes really slowly. Hopefully you get everything out of insurance.

And a suggestion.. You should have your car appraised when starting with an insurance company. I think in Canada our prices usually go off what we claimed we paid for it at the dmv but it can be changed with insurance if you have an appraisal

Comment

So the $9500 I have in receipts may only be worth $1000 in their eyes. My $2k paint job is seen as $200 instead... They don't count labor into the price of anything. So to paint a car, they say it takes $200 in supplies. Don't care about the 3 months of labor it took at the body shop. My mind is blown with how ignorant their arguments are.

Their argument is "someone can pay a million dollars for a paint job, doesn't mean that's what the value is." I told her I can get a list of labor rates from ALLDATA and show her exactly how long each job takes and an average of shop rates in my area. Completely dismissed it. I'm so fucking disappointed. I told her that was one of the most ridiculous things I've heard in my life and she basically hung up on me as if I started cursing.

RIP 02/25/15
      http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...16#post4356816

Comment

Hire an independent appraiser, thats what I did. It went from a $2000 dollar check to $5000. Plus kept the car + all the parts.

Comment

$200 in materials is a fucking joke. A good paint job is $1000 in materials!

Comment

I'll look for another appraiser. Emailed one and he blew me off.

Yeah my uncle's friend said the same thing. The place I got it painted at owed my uncle money (accountant) so he barely made a profit off my paint job.

Edit: Found an appraiser, sounds like a nice guy and has quoted e30's before. Will make an appt with him once I have the appraisal/settlement from AAA.
            Last edited by THEhomelessONE; 03-10-2015, 08:50 PM.

RIP 02/25/15

Comment

Well AAA cut me a check for $5k and I keep the car. If any local peeps want anything PM me an offer, thanks for all the help everyone.

RIP 02/25/15

Comment

Did you end up getting the car appraised? I feel like I need to do it just in case. I doubt I could get much from an insurance company being my car is titled as a M10 318 :rofl: its so much more though
                Simon
                Current Cars:
                -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by THEhomelessONE View Post
                  Well AAA cut me a check for $5k and I keep the car. If any local peeps want anything PM me an offer, thanks for all the help everyone.

Count your blessings! Regular insurance sucks for older/classic cars.

I got Hagerty for my old car after the paint job (it was over $1k in materials BTW). Made sure it was parked in a garage and only driven leisurely as per my policy. Sure enough less than 6mos later got in an accident and they covered for the full $10k stated value. Only regret was not stating a higher value. I figured $10k would have been enough coverage, but the accident showed $14k in damages, so it was a total loss unless I was insured for $20-ish (anything over 80% damage is a total).

They promptly paid out and I bought my car back for $1700.

I know it's easier for me to say, being 35 at the time, it wasn't too difficult for me to get collector's insurance - I hear they are a bit tough on younger policy holders as of late.
                  john@m20guru.com
                  Links:
                  Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

I didn't have to actually, but had someone lined up who had appraised e30's before and got them around 5k versus the 2k insurance offered. Couple hundred bucks for some peace of mind is well worth it IMO. I'm 23, learning as I go. If I knew about these things I'd always try to play it safe.

I am! Very relieved I didn't have to keep fighting. Figured I'd be fine with regular insurance since I wasn't driving something like a '59 190sl. Scared to even check what they'd charge me since I was using the e30 as my DD. Thank you for the advice, I'm glad they helped you out without much trouble, sorry about the car though. I'll make sure to recommend Hagerty to others in my family too!

I'm pretty sad overall, I can't bring myself to get another e30. Won't be the same, don't have it in me to put all that effort in again. I've found a clean w210 E55 I plan on picking up later this week. They're reliable, decent fuel economy, comfortable, and as fast as my old XJR. Should hold me off until I can properly afford to maintain an s600. I need a break from wrenching.

I put the e30 up on CL, nothing picked off it, as is for $1500 if I can get rid of it this week. Been hard seeing it everyday I come home.

RIP 02/25/15

Comment

I've been keeping up with your post, crazy stuff man. I'm glad to hear you're okay. Saw the post on CL while I was cruising through the listings and It took me a second to realize it was your car. If you decide to part of out, I have my eye on a few parts. Let me know once you make the decision! Sorry again for your loss. :(

Check out my Alpine's DEAD build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=348571

E36 M3 Build thread http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=597637

Comment

Originally posted by THEhomelessONE View Post
                        I put the e30 up on CL, nothing picked off it, as is for $1500 if I can get rid of it this week. Been hard seeing it everyday I come home.
                        Do you still have the stock wheels, or something to throw on there? I bet you could get at least that much if not more if you sell the wheels seperate, then the shell with the 24v in it
                        Simon
                        Current Cars:
                        -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

That's good news about the AAA check.

If I was you, I wouldn't give up now though.
                          Gotta keep that mentality that the next will always be better.

1991 BMW 318i (Old Shell RIP, Now Being Re-shelled & Reborn)
                          1983 Peugeot 505 STI
                          1992 Volvo 240 Wagon
                          2009 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Sport 4WD

Comment

And she's gone. New owner plans on restoring her :)

RIP 02/25/15

Comment

Working...
                            X