No announcement yet.

New Here: 1989 325i

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oops, you've installed the offset bushings wrong in the lollipops. The hole in the bushing should be right next to the bolted tab.
    Haha thanks I realized it before I installed them on the car and flipped them around.

Comment

This is great!!!

"You gotta fix the nut behind the wheel before you change the bolts on the car"
      The Red Dragon V.5 1991 318iS / 2013 F800GT

"You gotta fix the nut behind the wheel before you fix the bolts on the car"

Comment

This is great!!!
        Thanks!

Still moving along, but progress has slowed lately as my focus has been on the stage rally Subaru...too many projects!

I got all of the shifter bushings replaced as well as an OE BMW short shifter (Z3 1.9) installed. I topped it off with a Condor Speed Shop weighted shorty shifter. It looks and feels like new, I am ecstatic! The shifter felt like garbage when I bought the car.

I also got the wheels coated and they are getting mounted, I'll be able to pick them up tomorrow.

Once I receive the front struts back, I should be able to just throw them in with some fresh wheel bearings and brakes! From there I'll get going on the back of the car.

Comment

Originally posted by SEA382 View Post
          Thanks!

Still moving along, but progress has slowed lately as my focus has been on the stage rally Subaru...too many projects!

I got all of the shifter bushings replaced as well as an OE BMW short shifter (Z3 1.9) installed. I topped it off with a Condor Speed Shop weighted shorty shifter. It looks and feels like new, I am ecstatic! The shifter felt like garbage when I bought the car.

I also got the wheels coated and they are getting mounted, I'll be able to pick them up tomorrow.

Once I receive the front struts back, I should be able to just throw them in with some fresh wheel bearings and brakes! From there I'll get going on the back of the car.
          Yes!! Loving the updates on this project! Where did you get your z3 shifter setup from?
          The Red Dragon V.5 1991 318iS / 2013 F800GT

"You gotta fix the nut behind the wheel before you fix the bolts on the car"

Comment

great work man!!! when is your estimated time of completion??? :)

Comment

Originally posted by Spiff325iS View Post
              Yes!! Loving the updates on this project! Where did you get your z3 shifter setup from?
              I'll try to keep them coming!

I bought the Z3 shifter in a kit from Condor Speed Shop.

The kit isnt cheap but it literally has everything that you need and I can't stand a sloppy shifter!

1 Weighted "Shorty" Condor knob
              1 Mtech Shifter Cap
              1 Z3 1.9 lever
              1 B*tch clip
              2 Solid Condor shift carrier bushings
              2 nylon spec washers
              1 Solid Condor rear shift carrier bushing
              2 securing circlips
              1 pivot cup
              1 shift lever rear support arm
              I am very pleased with the quality of the OE shifter (to be expected) as well as the delrin bushings and the shift knob itself!

Discover the ultimate performance upgrades for your BMW Track car. Parts for the E30, E36, E46, E9x & more. Condor has the best quality American-made engine mounts, suspension bushings, brake lines & more!

Comment

Originally posted by CENTURION View Post
                great work man!!! when is your estimated time of completion??? :)
                Thanks!

Not sure really. The immediate goal is a tight suspension that feels and drives like new! I imagine I'll have the suspension refresh done in the next couple of months. Almost done with the front...and the rear will begin soon.

The end goal is to be thorough and do everything right the first time! That being said I'll take the extra time and spend the extra money which means things may take a while depending on what I can afford and whatever extra steps need to be taken.

Big picture I'd love to convert the interior to black, see a nice fresh coat of paint on the body and build a reliable turbo m20! One can dream! Haha.

Comment

Amen to that brotha'
                  that's the same logic I am trying to use for my build as well. reason I asked is simply because I'm close to you in the IE and I'm trying to restore mine a bit. so I'm thinking, what a cool coincidence haha.
                  can't wait to see more!

Comment

Originally posted by CENTURION View Post
                    Amen to that brotha'
                    that's the same logic I am trying to use for my build as well. reason I asked is simply because I'm close to you in the IE and I'm trying to restore mine a bit. so I'm thinking, what a cool coincidence haha.
                    can't wait to see more!
                    Nice! Yeah it pays off in the long run to do it right and be patient. Haha.

Sweet! Maybe I'll see ya around when our cars are both done!

Comment

Still not much progress but I replaced the motor mounts and installed an Eibach front Anti-Roll Bar.

Comment

Got the front struts back from GC today. Stoked! They look incredible!

Claybarred (sp?) the hood a few days ago as she needed some love.

Here's the install in progress:

Got new hubs/wheel bearings as one should in addition to new rotors and brake pads. Brake lines are next as they have been hanging and need to be swapped to braided SS anyways.

Don't mind the excessive anti squeal, things got a bit messy, haha.

Front looks good! A little lower than expected, I'll likely swap out the springs I chose. I went with a little softer rate to keep the ride freq. down as I'll mostly be dailying it with a few track days here and there. Looks like the lesser rate dropped it more than expected. I'll see if I can use a longer spring without blocking it out. We will have to see.

It's very low, haha.

I'm excited to adjust the front and get going on the rear of the car!
                        Last edited by SEA382; 07-01-2015, 10:10 PM.

Comment

Nice!

Comment

Nice work! Def saving the car in all the right ways!

If you need a steering wheel...
                            91 DS S52 Slicktop, 91 Calypso M42, 89 Royalblau M20, 84 Bahama Beige 323i, M535, Euro e24, ap1

www.RenownUSA.com
                            ig @RenownUSA / @rude.scott

Comment

Originally posted by GAbOS View Post
                              Nice!
                              Thanks!

Originally posted by animal View Post
                              Nice work! Def saving the car in all the right ways!

If you need a steering wheel...
                              Thank you! I figure why not do it right the first time?! :up:

It's on the list.... you'll certainly be seeing my name on an order in the future. Just picked up some M stitched shift/brake boots so I'll definitely need a wheel to match!

Trying to get all of the functional (suspension, engine) piece up to date and in a refreshed condition and then I'll move on to the interior.

Comment

Swapped the springs to the recommended rate and the front is a reasonable height with plenty of room for adjustment. I'll get it adjusted to a final height once i finish up the rear of the car.

Tried to go for a quick drive around the block but realized that the short shifter hits the harmonic balancer. I'll have to yank that off. I think for now I'll flip the car around and drop the rear sub frame, trailing arms etc and get going on stripping and coating.

Comment

Working...
                                X