Project Frankenstein. . My journey with my E30's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CorvallisBMW View Post
    Yes, the x-brace goes from your front subframe to the control arm mounts, and significantly reduces chassis flex, especially in convertibles. It's honestly a must-have, makes a huge difference in driving feel and confidence. Especially since you've already stiffened the "top" of the shock towers with your strut brace. Get one, you'll be glad you did :up:
    I will look for one and see how much it is then mate 8)

Any pics of yours fitted?

"When Passion and Skill work together..the end result is often a masterpiece. ."
    Project Frankenstein :twisted: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=359297

Comment

I might have a few, I'll check.

Comment

I might have a few, I'll check.

Im guessing you had no luck finding pictures? :p

"When Passion and Skill work together..the end result is often a masterpiece. ."
        Project Frankenstein :twisted: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=359297

Comment

THE ULTIMATE X-BRACE FOR THE E30/E36 Currently on Pre-Order! We've redesigned our E30 and E36 cross brace for even more added structural rigidity to make this the best underbody bracing for these chassis. The newest version of our X brace is full billet aluminum and offers significant weight savings over previous desig

Which washer resirvoir is that? Are you running a heater core, if so how did you do the plumbing?
          ACS S3 Build / Dinan 5 E34

Comment

Originally posted by cypriotgeeza View Post
            Im guessing you had no luck finding pictures? :p
            Not on my car, but that really doesn't matter. It's one of these: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=144004

Comment

Not on my car, but that really doesn't matter. It's one of these: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=144004

Very cool! 8) I will look into this! Thanks for the link :up:

In the meantime i replaced my engine mounts..they weren't really doing their job very well any more for some reason.. :shock: :shock:

Comment

I enjoy your detail.

I have been thinking what to use for securing the radiator.. and while the zip ties seemed sporty... I appreciate you documenting the headlight clips which seem to do the trick.

Also, which motor mounts are you going with? I am inclined to keep all my M20 motor and Trans bushings... but want to do it now and right than completing the swap and having to redo the mounts.

Comment

Originally posted by TimeMachinE30 View Post
                  I enjoy your detail.

I have been thinking what to use for securing the radiator.. and while the zip ties seemed sporty... I appreciate you documenting the headlight clips which seem to do the trick.

Also, which motor mounts are you going with? I am inclined to keep all my M20 motor and Trans bushings... but want to do it now and right than completing the swap and having to redo the mounts.
                  Firstly Thanks for reading my thread :)

Yea the headlight clips worked perfectly and the cut outs in the body seemed liked it was made for them clips

Now with the mounts I ended up using a near new second hand set of M20 mounts I had lying around until I can make up my mind with what to go with.

The M20 rubber should be up to the job but may not last very long with the added weight of the M30.

So the choices are OEM / Poly bushes or apparently "Land rover" mounts are solid and are a apparently a good replacement but you will need a spacer as these mounts are slightly shorter and could cause the sump to bottom out on the subframe /steering rack.

Having the metal cups around the mounts are also key as it has stopper which stops the mounts from flexing.

You could also try these bad boys out and let me know if they are worth it? lol ;D

Comment

http://store.garagistic.com/garagist...ce-cross-brace

Which washer resirvoir is that? Are you running a heater core, if so how did you do the plumbing?
                    Also just realised I didn't reply to this :oops:

The washer bottle is from an E34..due to the step down design it sits in there perfectly.

I'm not sure what you mean by a heater core? :oops:

Comment

Originally posted by cypriotgeeza View Post
                      Also just realised I didn't reply to this :oops:

The washer bottle is from an E34..due to the step down design it sits in there perfectly.

I'm not sure what you mean by a heater core? :oops:
                      Heater core... the two tubed at the center of the firewall, for HVAC. Some swaps I see bypass figuring racecar, who needs heat. I certainly will keep my heat and am trying to see how others are doing the plumbing.

Thanks for the replies. Going to relocate the clips from my headlights to the radiator. I will order new ones for the headlights then. Hiw did you secure the bottom end of the radiator?

I'm being told the 333i E30 used E34 M30 mounts. I just wonder if the different engine positions being used will make a bushing better than another.

Comment

Heater core... the two tubed at the center of the firewall, for HVAC. Some swaps I see bypass figuring racecar, who needs heat. I certainly will keep my heat and am trying to see how others are doing the plumbing.

Thanks for the replies. Going to relocate the clips from my headlights to the radiator. I will order new ones for the headlights then. Hiw did you secure the bottom end of the radiator?

I'm being told the 333i E30 used E34 M30 mounts. I just wonder if the different engine positions being used will make a bushing better than another.
                        Ohhh I refer to them as heater matrix pipes lol :oops:

I (for some reason) have the pipe at the back of the cylinder head (which most people say should have a delete plate there) So that goes into 1 and the other comes from the thermostat housing - under the inlet manifold and into the other and my heaters work perfect :up:

The M20 radiator is held with 2 locating mounts on the bottom and to get an E28 Radiator in there you will need to move them out of the way..
                        So I cut the welds and moved them back enough so the rad would fit but would still slightly hold the rad in place. The screws on the top is where most of the securing is done.

I've never come across the 333i bushes so I cant comment on that but if i get some new bushes soon I will report how good/bad they are!

If you beat me too it let me know your findings please :up:

Comment

Alpina wad to have used E34 M30 mounts on the 333i.

Comment

Just sat and read through all of this! It's quite a journey, and you have ended up with a very nice car...the M30 is the engine of the Gods ;)

Where in the UK are you based? I've not seen many people from this side of the pond on R3V!

Comment

Awesome build! Have you fitted the e46 steering rack yet? I'm heavily considering this upgrade for mine.

--Roundie Revival 2.0 - 1973 BMW 2002 Build Thread--
                              --Golden Boy E30 Build Thread-- (sold)

Comment

Perfect for the radiator. #14x1.75" with a fender washer using the speedclip/nut from the headlight. I had cut off the pre-exisiting ones of course to make way for the new radiator. I do not have the welding ability or capability to fashion a support. Maybe a little JB Weld? I will figure a solution to secure the bottom end. Thank you for that. You are right. It is made for the headlight sized speed clip!

Comment

Working...
                                X