• Show
Clear All

• dadsbmw
    replied
    So I did a thing...

Leave a comment:

• dadsbmw
    replied
    Thanks Mike! After lookin at my old setup and thinking it stuck out a bit too far, I feel like this one doesn't stick out far enough. When I get new welding wire I'm going to probably pull the tips out another 0.5 to 1 inch/

Completed another little project today. My drivers side tweeter pod was already broken and basically falling off, and when I went to put the drivers side back on after the side mirror painting, that one broke too! Remembered seeing a while back that someone was selling 3D printed parts to fix it, so I decided to just make my own. Took a couple design edits, but wasn't particularly tough. I've definitely got some calibration to do for prints this small, but it gets the job done.

Stuck it in the mount

Threw a little glue on that sucker, and stuck the pod in place

Unfortunately don't have any clamps or anything to hold it tight while it dries. I'm sure this isn't the type of thing that will hold up to removal and reinstall, but I have no issue redoing it every time I take out the tweeter pods, which is basically never.

Leave a comment:

• mike.bmw
    replied
    Tips look great. Exhaust sounds amazing!

Leave a comment:

• dadsbmw
    replied
    As promised:

Honestly the original exhaust (stock headers, stock midpipe, 2.5" Varex muffler) had a bit more throat and rumble to it, which I think I like better. This new setup has MUCH better flow however, and surprisingly a deeper and more mellow tone, despite being straight through from header to tip. And frankly, none of them hold a candle to my old M20 setup (stock headers, stock piping, CA legal replacement cat, 2.5" Varex muffler). That thing rumbled like a beast! Was listening to some videos my GF shot of me driving and man was that thing gnarly!

Leave a comment:

• dadsbmw
    replied
    As promised, got the exhaust finished up today. There were 13" between the back of the muffler and the end the rear valence, while the y-pipe and tips added up to 22" in length, so some cutting would certainly be required. Cut a couple inches off the inlet of the y-pipe, about an inch off the inlet of the exhaust tips, and then sectioned another few inches from the middle of each exhaust tip

Then welded the exhaust tip upper and lower sections together and went for a test fit. After much laborious lining up I got them pretty much where I wanted them.

Then tacked them into place. Unfortunately the left tip moved during the tacking process and I ran out of welding wire, so I had to stop, but this is how she sits for now. Will order some more wire and go take a video of the new exhaust later today.

Leave a comment:

• dadsbmw
    replied
    Ended up removing the driveshaft to get balanced at a local shop. Guy looked at the adapter and basically refused to work on it. Oh well! However, upon reinstalling, the vibration is gone! Score 1 for me!

Paint finally came in this week and I got the side mirrors and rear bumper painted to my satisfaction, however the rear trunk lid came out very uneven. I'd ordered from a different supplier this time, so with a heavy heart I ordered from ScratchWizard again. Let me give a little review...

ScratchWizard.net:
    • Price per can- $30 plus $12 shipping- $42 for 1 can!
    • Need to order clear coat separately (not 2k uv resistant clear coat)
    • Shipping times- we shall see!
    • Pros:
      • Color match
      • Full coverage in 2-3 coats
      • Lots of flake in the Sterling Silver Metallic
    • Cons:
      • Last can ran out of propellant with half a can of paint left in it! WTF!
      • Poor/narrow spray pattern
    Paintscratch.com:
    • Price per can $27- Free shipping over $100
    • Can buy clear coat from them- they have 2k uv resistant clear coat
    • Shipped in a few days- Potential Covid delays
    • Pros:
      • Color match
      • Great/wide/consistent spray pattern
      • Sprays the entire can!
    • Cons:
      • Full coverage in 5+ coats
      • Not much metal flake
    Automotivetouchup.com
    • Price per can- $20 plus $9 shipping- $29 shipped, not bad!
    • Can buy clear coat form them- they have 2k uv resistant clear coat
    • Shipping times- Waited over a week and a half and still hadn't shipped- when I spoke with support they could give me no timeframe for when it would. Cancelled my order.
    • Pros and cons- not yet known.
    Anyways, here are the results from the side mirrors and rear bumper

And the trunk lid that didn't turn out quite right...

So now I'm waiting on another can of paint to come in to get the lid finished. But in the mean time, I had a coupe more exhaust pieces come in. I had a hell of a time finding a 3" inlet dual outlet tip that would do a good job of mimicking the stock exhaust, so I ended up just ordering separate parts to make my own. The space will be a little tight and I'll have to cut all these pieces down, but think it'll look pretty buff when it's done! 3" inlet and dual 2.25" outlet y-pipe and two 2.75" inlet 3.5" outlet exhaust tips.

Plan to get this welded in tomorrow am and then some new exhaust videos for you guys that afternoon!
    Last edited by dadsbmw; 05-15-2020, 10:30 AM.

Leave a comment:

• dadsbmw
    replied
    Driveshaft has been taken off a couple times since the initial install and vibrates every time, so I don't think it's the bolts. Pretty sure I either have it slightly misaligned from when I swapped out the center bearing, or the adapter which allows the stock 325i shaft to mate to the e36 M3 guibo is causing an imbalance.

In terms of it being louder, this muffler can get loud or quiet at the push of a button. It's currently on the "loud" setting, and making the noise you heard above. I think I'd be much happier having that volume on the quiet setting, and something more aggressive on the loud setting.

Leave a comment:

• Nader393
    replied
    Nice project! Your old man would have been proud.

Check your driveline/giubo bolts, the extra power might have snapped one; happened to me (with less power). Car sounds pretty great as is. You sure you want it louder? Probably get there by deleting the mid-muffler. I had a single rear Magnaflow on my last engine (with cat), and it sounded really good. My current setup has two smaller Magnaflows with no cat, has a higher pitch snarl, and if I had a longer commute, might be annoyingly loud.

Leave a comment:

• dadsbmw
    replied
    Pretty much finished her up this afternoon. Ran out of welding gas last night but luckily found a shop that was open today. Took a little trip to pick that up and also dropped off my wheels to get a free balancing at Americas Tire.

Came home and finished up the last of the welding and reinstalled everything to give it a listen. As suspected, it's too quiet. The Varex has 2 modes as previously pointed out, open (straight through) and closed (think turbo muffler). In the open position, it sounds how I'd like it to in the closed position. Right now the closed position is basically useless, as there's no reason to ever close it!

Rear half mocked up

Everything fully welded

And installed

Still waiting to do the rear tip... want to finalize everything before committing.

Took her for a quick drive to see how it sounds. Have also confirmed, by getting the tires balanced, that there's definitely a vibration in the driveshaft. Oh, and it now pops out of 3rd pretty much every time I go WOT, so that's fun. But man, she's a quick one! Not only is 1st useless, but 2nd is as well! It will seriously break the tires loose and spin at WOT past 4.5k in 2nd. Not dropping the clutch, just rolling into power. DEFINITELY need some wider/better tires!

Quick video of everything in the open position. For some reason the muffler won't close, gonna have to look into that... opened last night without issue. Will soon have a driving video similar to my last, but need to get the trunk lid, bumper, and side mirrors on first. This idiot company that I ordered paint from has taken over a week to even ship it. So frustrating.

Camera is a bit too close which has a bad outcome with the sound, but gives you an idea. Should have good speakers/headphones (aka not your laptop/phone speakers) to listen, as it's very deep and requires good bass to hear correctly!
    Last edited by dadsbmw; 05-04-2020, 08:47 AM.

Leave a comment:

• dadsbmw
    replied
    I'll be doing a similar tip to what it had before, which you can see in previous pictures. Trying to keep it looking close to to the stock exhaust. Just waiting till the end to do it, as I want to make sure the exhaust is fully in place before aligning the tips with the bumper.

Switch has already been placed, as I've had this style setup for a while now... just moving up to larger piping and from a 2.5" muffler to a 3.0". Used a stock window switch in one of the blanks in the center console above the radio, to open and close the bypass

Leave a comment:

• mike.bmw
    replied
    I'm loving the progress on this. The exhaust look good. Any plans for a different tip or something that extends slightly past the valence? Any interesting ideas for placement of the muffler's switch?

Leave a comment:

• dadsbmw
    replied
    Took a quick video of the exhaust as it sits. Sure it's loud, but it'll be way quieter with the new muffler.

Also mounted the rear muffler today. Hope to have it all buttoned up tomorrow!

Leave a comment:

• LowR3V'in
    replied
    Originally posted by dadsbmw View Post
    Definitely do not do the x3.

Mine was black because I painted it, twas silver when it first arrived. This thing had issues all over the place... the only thing that was actually correct about it was the location of the brake line ports on the master cylinder. The mounting bolts were too narrow and required slotting, the shaft for the clevis wasn't long enough (true for the e90/e92 as well) and required a bolt to be welded on, the diameter was too big (not everywhere, just towards the firewall, but still interfered) for the IM to fit at all. The e90 just fit and worked so much better. Bending and flaring the custom lines really wasn't that difficult, only cost about $125 extra, and will put an extra tool in your belt.
    how much smaller is the e90 one?
    i have the x3 one waiting on putting it in but i don't want to slot the mounting holes and then if its too big
    like what you experienced i have to put in the e90 one.

weird that it clears with some and doesn't with others.

Leave a comment:

• dadsbmw
    replied
    Me too! I finished welding the front half of the exhaust and reinstalled to get a listen of it with just the Magnaflow and honestly, I'm concerned it'll be too quiet! Don't get me wrong, it's loud, but only kinda loud. It'll be way quieter when I get the Varex on, even with the bypass open. I guess we'll see!
    Last edited by dadsbmw; 04-29-2020, 08:48 PM.

Leave a comment:

• 2mAn
    replied
    Awesome! Cant wait for sound clips

Leave a comment:

Working...
X