Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E30 Vert Build

Hey everyone!

New guy here who has just purchased his first E30, yet alone his first BMW.

I know what you are all thinking and let me tell you right off the bat that I know how to use the search button. I'm not new to cars or car forums. I used to wrench on Audi's, Subaru's, Jeeps, and now BMW's.

I picked this 1988 Alpine vert from a really cool dude in CT few days ago. I did a lot of research ahead of time and asked the right questions to avoid any major headaches. It came with 127k on the clock. It had most of the major maintenance work done to it and has lived most of its life in the south hence no rust.

The goal is simple.
    1. Complete maintenance first
    2. Update the looks with facelift parts,
    3. Do a minor drop and wheels
    4. Update the damaged interior
    5. Drive and enjoy!

I hope to contribute to the forum by sharing any insights that I gain from this build. Cheers! 🍻

I will also be documenting the build on Instagram. Feel free to follow @e30vt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@e30vt

yeeee another vert gets saved. stay with the diving boards! just get front and rear valences. polish them up they'll look great with the alpine. I feel like a lot of people goplastics out of obligation, enjoy the early model awesomeness!
    sigpic
    @joshua.j.rizo

Originally posted by SpasticDwarf
    Just remember next time you hear "late night when you need my love" I'm gonna be sitting somewhere way more bitchin' than you, driving or not.

BUY MY BUGATTI WHEELS:
    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=377693

WRITEUP TO MY RHD SWAP:

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=371904

Comment

E30 Vert Build

There is definitely nothing wrong with staying with the diving boards. The reason why I went plastic is because a friend of mine was selling the valance, front bumper, rear bumper, fogs, trim pieces, etc....all for $300. Couldn't resist.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@e30vt

Comment

Did a diagnosis and found the following:
        1. Bad valve cover gasket
        2. Bad window switch
        3. Gas gauge not working
        3. Half of cluster does not light up
        4. Blown head gasket
        5. Possible broken rocker arm
        6. Bad coolant sensor
        7. Bad control arms
        8. Needs rotors and pads
        9. Needs engine and trans mounts (I think)
        10. One fog light is bad

I am sure that I missed something. There are some cosmetic issues too.

I am going to perform maintenance in three phases. First phase will include engine components. Second phase will be the drivetrain and brakes. Third phase will include cosmetics.

I decided to take some photos while I wait for parts to arrive.

@e30vt

Comment

Neat pics , excited to see what your doing with it .
          1990 Alpine 325is
          1992 Schwarz 325ic (sold)

Comment

Nice, looks like a project for sure. I think I have an extra bottlecap center cap if you need it.

Comment

Welcome! Stoked to see your plastic bumper conversion. My car was a huge project as well. In many ways I'd been better off keeping my last car. But then I wouldn't be where I am now... anyway good luck!

it's a Kenny Powers quote on wheels

Comment

Originally posted by Das Delfin View Post
                Welcome! Stoked to see your plastic bumper conversion. My car was a huge project as well. In many ways I'd been better off keeping my last car. But then I wouldn't be where I am now... anyway good luck!

I guess, the long hours you put into these things makes it so much more enjoyable when you see the finished product. I have never worked on BMW's prior to this vert so I hope to learn some new things. I'm pumped about the bumper too. In addition to the bumper I picked up an IS lip and a splitter from Ryan (R3V member) to complete the look. I just need to figure out what to do with the rear bumper. I have a late model plastic bumper but it needs a rear valance of some sort. Any suggestions?

Originally posted by WestCoastEta View Post
                Nice, looks like a project for sure. I think I have an extra bottlecap center cap if you need it.

Thank you for the offer! I am picking up some two piece style 5's tomorrow so I probably will be selling the bottle caps shortly afterwards.

@e30vt

Comment

They need some loving but for $500 I couldn't resist. 17x8

@e30vt

Comment

I prefer the look without a rear valence so don't ask me! But a nice m3 style rear zender spoiler is always a good decision :up:

it's a Kenny Powers quote on wheels

Comment

seems like its time to lower your e30. Otherwise it will look like a 4x4 with 17s.

Esquire E30 Build (87 325i Vert)
                      Ultimate Tanning Machine

Comment

Originally posted by Das Delfin View Post
                        I prefer the look without a rear valence so don't ask me! But a nice m3 style rear zender spoiler is always a good decision :up:

Thanks for the suggestion!

Originally posted by aegul44 View Post
                        seems like its time to lower your e30. Otherwise it will look like a 4x4 with 17s.

Absolutely! I am picking up some ground control coilovers soon. They wheels will need to be rebuilt as well before they go on.

Look what came in!

@e30vt

Comment

Originally posted by e30_vt View Post
                          Look what came in!
                          Hoo boy! Getting work done. I like it.
                          "Leafeon" '92 Lagunengrun 325i Vert (Daily Driver/Project)
                          http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=366044
                          The stickers make it go faster. :nice:

Comment

Working...
                          X