Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Summer weekend warrior: New 91k mile '92 vert (now with 5spd)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quick update. Went in on a Sunday and go the guibo fixed so that I could at least drive the car. It had gotten pretty bad apparently.

Had to do some work last weekend on the drivers side inner fender lip. The inner lip on that side had an extra layer of metal as if it had been repaired, so I took some time to grind it down and smooth it better than whoever did it.

Took a break to make a Sonic run and take pics of course

The current plan is to get it over to a buddy to start its 5spd swap process in the coming weeks, should be all buttoned before the end of April. While its gone, I plan on getting the my hella euro smileys cleaned up and put together so that they are ready for install. I usually never make good on plans for this car so we'll see
    '84 Alpine 325e (Gone)
    '91 Alpine 318i (Gone) Click Here
    '92 Alpine 325i Cabrio (Gone) Click Here
    '91 Alpine 318is

Comment

Had a pretty gnarly grinding noise on the drivers side rear for a little while. The front hubs both have new bearings since I did those when all the struts were on my sedan, so I decided to replace both of the rear bearings. Woke up early Easter Sunday to get them done with a friend in his driveway. Started the passenger side and after too much time and food runs got that side wrapped up and the drivers side apart. The rotor on that side was pretty well stuck to the hub even after massaging it with a torch. Didn't want to risk damaging the rotor by pounding it off nor did we have good leverage on it so buttoned everything up for another day.

Brought it with me to work two weeks later to take care of it after thinking of some "while I'm in there" parts. Ordered new rotors, wear sensor and pads. Of course I forgot to order a new e-brake shoe...With the new rotors, gave the the rotors a couple good wacks with a solid hammer and it popped off.

The bearing was replaced but everything else was left off until the next weekend. All better now.

Tomorrow is the big day. Ordered some nice shiny new things over the last few weeks for the swap. New slave, master, manifold gaskets and studs, carrier bushing, various seals, etc. Fun stuff. Made sure to top it off with a Z3 lever and weighted zhp knob. Car is going to the shop tomorrow to begin the process.
      '84 Alpine 325e (Gone)
      '91 Alpine 318is

Comment

Great looking vert there!

Comment

Looks insane! Those shiny style 5s were looking fresh, can't believe you switchecthem out. You alpine vert is making me doubt my black one. The white just looks so good with the trim contrasts. Upset that mine is all black so you don't get the same feel. Keep it up! I've come to realize it truest is a never ending list

Also. Your progression of e30s is quite nice. I myself started about with an auto 325 (eta) coupe and went directly to the 5 speed 325i vert >:] haven't looked back!

Comment

Very nice!

[IMG]https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/my350z.com-vbulletin/550x225/80-parkerbsig_5096690e71d912ec1addc4a84e99c374685fc03 8.jpg[/IMG

Comment

Super clean vert, love the splitter! Does it simply screw into your IS lip?

Comment

Originally posted by Olie92 View Post
                Great looking vert there!
                Thanks! I got lucky it started so nice
                Originally posted by BaltimoreBimmer View Post
                Looks insane! Those shiny style 5s were looking fresh, can't believe you switchecthem out. You alpine vert is making me doubt my black one. The white just looks so good with the trim contrasts. Upset that mine is all black so you don't get the same feel. Keep it up! I've come to realize it truest is a never ending list

Also. Your progression of e30s is quite nice. I myself started about with an auto 325 (eta) coupe and went directly to the 5 speed 325i vert >:] haven't looked back!
                I had weaves on the previous two cars, just ready for something new, and both of the previous cars were white too.

A 5 speed makes all the difference. My previous two were both manual and I bought this one with the intention of swapping it from the beginning. Just took some time to get there. The auto is just extremely lackluster in these.

Originally posted by parkerbink View Post
                Very nice!
                Much appreciated!

Originally posted by Rusty.Piranha View Post
                Super clean vert, love the splitter! Does it simply screw into your IS lip?
                Thanks, it's a Ryan G splitter. Yes, it just screws into the bottom of the lip. I added a couple extra screws so it was more flush with the lip. Wasn't sure I wanted to use it on this car since I pulled it off the last one, but it protects the lip from being scratched up on the bottom.
                '84 Alpine 325e (Gone)
                '91 Alpine 318is

Comment

The vert has been hanging out at a shop the last two weeks and I finally picked it up last night. If you've read my first post the vert was an autotragic purchased with the intention of swapping it from day one. Except it took me almost a year to make it happen. Life has a way of doing that.

Spent the weeks leading up getting everything I could new. I work at a dealership so I was able to get everything at cost which is awesome. After loading up with grommets, bushings, seals, a new slave and master, clutch kit, csb, etc. etc. Completed it with a new Z3 1.9 arm and ZHP weighted knob. Wanted to make sure if I was doing this, I was going to do it right. The guts came out of a well cared for '88 325is that met its end.

Handed the keys off to e30austin to take it to the shop

Here is some random pics from along the way. There is more but these are all I have.

He gave it a nice wipe down for me when I picked it up

The final product. DSLR ftw. It shifts smooth, the throw is short and the car feels amazingly better. It finally drives like an e30 should. Just have to make one final tweak this weekend, so I cant wait to get out and drive it this Memorial Day weekend! Thank you Matt-B for the shift boot.
                  Last edited by shameson; 05-27-2017, 09:17 PM.
                  '84 Alpine 325e (Gone)
                  '91 Alpine 318is

Comment

Congrats!

[IMG]https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/my350z.com-vbulletin/550x225/80-parkerbsig_5096690e71d912ec1addc4a84e99c374685fc03 8.jpg[/IMG

Comment

Originally posted by parkerbink View Post
                      Congrats!
                      Thank you! Big relief to have it done. The manual paired with a 4.10 LSD reminds me of being in my 318i again.
                      '84 Alpine 325e (Gone)
                      '91 Alpine 318is

Comment

My '92 came with a manual, I have a 4.10 LSD waiting to go in.

Enjoy!

Comment

Car

Just one word.............Beautiful !!!

Comment

boots looking good man, nice ride

Please leave feedback below, thanks

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=358170

Comment

Originally posted by 325isman View Post
                              Just one word.............Beautiful !!!
                              Thank you!

Originally posted by Matt-B View Post
                              boots looking good man, nice ride
                              Thanks! The boot is a nice touch, I really like the suede
                              '84 Alpine 325e (Gone)
                              '91 Alpine 318is

Comment

Originally posted by shameson View Post
                                Took a few photos last week while we had a nice sunny evening. Also found a place with new staggered schmidts modern-lines which will be my next purchase hopefully within a month or two, and I can swap the yoko s-drives off my current wheels.

clean clean clean!!

Comment

Working...
                                X