Mike's Alpine White 1991 318is

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AlpinStar View Post
    Car's looking great, Mike! When you did your flywheel and clutch recently did you look into lightweight flywheel options? I'm having basically the same job done right now (clutch, flywheel, RMS, etc), on a car with the same mileage as yours, and have been tempted by lightweight flywheel options, but I also feel like a lot of the forum posts on single-mass flywheels for the M42 are by people who don't much care about the downsides (like gear chatter and idle issues when A/C kicks in). Looks like you stuck with the stock dual-mass and decided to trust the BMW engineers, which is the route I'll probably end up going as well :).
    Thanks! I did look into lightweight flywheel options and was ready to go that route. After speaking with the folks at RRT, I was convinced to go with an OE setup. They even use dual-mass flywheels on their racecars. From what I recall, the lightweight options have more cons than pros. And the dual-mass setup was only a couple hundred more dollars than the single-mass setup, so it wasn't outrageous.

At the end of the day I just wanted something that was easy to live with for another 150K miles - hopefully I make it that far. The new dual-mass setup feels MUCH better than the worn and tired original components.

Comment

AlpinStar I have an m42 and did go with the m20 single mass flywheel. I also lighten it to something like 13-15lbs, so didnt go sub-10. Car revs more freely and goes with the MarkD chip great. If you stand out of the car and really pay attention at idle, you can sometimes hear chatter but it is nothing noticeable. I have heard enough light weight version where it is very loud. I still have factory AC and no issues with revs or idling. Purrs nice at idle. I did upgrade from stock clutch to Clutch Masters stage 1 for my car.

Refreshing anything that is 30 years old will seem nice for sure as Mike stated.
      Alex 88 m5 | 91 318is | 19 Subaru Ascent
      BMW Tool Rentals & Fender Roller

Comment

Thanks so much for the replies, Mike and Alex. Appreciate the thoughts! Glad to hear even a refreshed dual-mass setup makes a noticeable improvement over a worn one.

Comment

Just some recent photos... Reichart12 started a trend with E30 selfies.

DSC_0368-3 by mike.bevels, on Flickr

DSC_0342-2 by mike.bevels, on Flickr

DSC_0296-2 by mike.bevels, on Flickr

DSC_0265-3 by mike.bevels, on Flickr

DSC_0303-2 by mike.bevels, on Flickr

DSC_0286-2 by mike.bevels, on Flickr

DSC_0357 by mike.bevels, on Flickr

DSC_0274 by mike.bevels, on Flickr

Comment

Those are some great photos. I especially like the first one with the twisty road sign.

Instagram: Reichart12

Comment

Please let me know when you go to sell your BBS RS001's!!! Beautiful E30.

Comment

Do you use a tripod on a timer for SelfE30's?

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
                @Zakspeed_US

Comment

looking spiffy af with that ride. brilliant execution and shots

Comment

Originally posted by moatilliatta View Post
                    Do you use a tripod on a timer for SelfE30's?
                    Yep, exactly!

Originally posted by s-thetikz View Post
                    looking spiffy af with that ride. brilliant execution and shots
                    Thank you!

Comment

Since I'll be driving 8 hours and 500 miles to The Vintage with my daughter this year, I figured it was time to give her more leg room. My previous fire extinguisher bracket wouldn't let the seat slide forward very much, so I ordered the garagistic mount. I had to drill an extra hole for my current extinguisher mount to work.

Old mount:
                      PXL_20220315_220715858 by mike.bevels, on Flickr

Old vs new (see how much longer the new mount is (and I can also mount it under the sliders):
                      PXL_20220315_221100865 by mike.bevels, on Flickr

PXL_20220315_221356793 by mike.bevels, on Flickr

Bracket bolted to mount:
                      PXL_20220316_011637702 by mike.bevels, on Flickr

Seat moved all the way forward with old mount:
                      PXL_20220315_220700067 by mike.bevels, on Flickr

Seat moved all the way forward with the new mount:
                      PXL_20220316_021240246 by mike.bevels, on Flickr

I also picked up some nylock nuts and grade 8.8 hardware:
                      PXL_20220316_011646419 by mike.bevels, on Flickr

Comment

Hopefully in two days I'll be posting about what a huge success the 2022 Cherry Blossom Run was. In the meantime - shots from today's dry run.

DSC_0351-2 by mike.bevels, on Flickr

DSC_0307 by mike.bevels, on Flickr

DSC_0390 by mike.bevels, on Flickr

DSC_0295-Edit by mike.bevels, on Flickr

DSC_0399 by mike.bevels, on Flickr

DSC_0281 by mike.bevels, on Flickr

Comment

Well, the 2022 Cherry Blossom Run was a success. Another E30 owner, Jorge, and I planned the event in less than a couple of weeks. We had 30 E30s, a bunch of other classic BMWs, and over 60 BMWs in total. Quite a step up from only nine cars the first year (2021). My article in Roundel magazine really piqued some interest for another event in 2022.

E30Mob (look them up on IG and FB) came from North Jersey, which was awesome. Others came from out of state and stayed in hotels. It was great meeting so many new people and catching up with friends.

We started before sunrise in Tysons Corner, VA. We cruised into Washington DC by sunrise. We drove around the Tidal Basin, lined with cherry blossom trees, which were in peak bloom. After staging the cars for photos, we headed to Urbano restaurant at Mosaic District in Fairfax, VA. Urbano opened just for us and even had a special menu. Mosaic District closed the main street just for us to have a car show. It was an incredible morning! Thanks so much to everyone that attended.

I've posted a bunch of photos on Instagram, but here are a few that summarize the event well. Stay tuned for a full article coming out later this year. Already looking forward to the 2023 Cherry Blossom Run!

DSC_0281 by mike.bevels, on Flickr

DSC_0306 by mike.bevels, on Flickr

DSC_0312 by mike.bevels, on Flickr

DSC_0415 by mike.bevels, on Flickr

DSC_0423 by mike.bevels, on Flickr

DSC_0469 by mike.bevels, on Flickr

DSC_0562 by mike.bevels, on Flickr

DSC_0566 by mike.bevels, on Flickr

DSC_0734 by mike.bevels, on Flickr

DSC_0767 by mike.bevels, on Flickr

DSC_0695 by mike.bevels, on Flickr

DSC_0644 by mike.bevels, on Flickr

DSC_0715 by mike.bevels, on Flickr

Comment

I saw some of these photos earlier and they are fantastic! Wish I’d known about this; I’m down in Richmond and would have loved to join. Next year!

Comment

Man, that looked like a great event with great scenery! Id rock the event if wasn't in pieces.

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
                              @Zakspeed_US

Comment

Originally posted by blalor View Post
                                I saw some of these photos earlier and they are fantastic! Wish I’d known about this; I’m down in Richmond and would have loved to join. Next year!
                                Keep an eye out for next year! It'll be end of May or early April depending on when the trees bloom. We'll have a formal registration process/website next year as well.

Originally posted by moatilliatta View Post
                                Man, that looked like a great event with great scenery! Id rock the event if wasn't in pieces.
                                It was a lot of fun! Thanks! 17 days until I travel to Asheville for the Vintage!

Comment

Working...
                                X