Mike's Alpine White 1991 318is

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by econti View Post
    Why a small case, out of interest? Be warned that friends have had them blow up behind a M10 on a track
    Wondering the same, I would only assume for weight savings?

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
      Keep it coming!
      Thanks, Simon!

Originally posted by econti View Post
      Why a small case, out of interest? Be warned that friends have had them blow up behind a M10 on a track
      Originally posted by Jokester View Post
      Wondering the same, I would only assume for weight savings?
      The 318is came with a small case 4.10 open diff from the factory. A small case 4.10 LSD was optional. As my car has the open diff, I've been wanting to replace it with the correct small case S4.10.

Yes, the E30 medium case diffs will bolt right up and are more plentiful (not to mention more gear ratios to choose from). Call me crazy, but I just wanted to find a diff the car would've been optioned with. Plus the weight savings is always nice as the M42 can use all the help it can get. ;)
      Last edited by mike.bmw; 02-06-2019, 09:47 AM.

Comment

Interesting! I always thought the 318is came with LSD standard but I guess I was wrong. Good to know that the original buyer of mine spec'd it with the LSD from new.
        Steve • Toronto
        1991 318is • Brillantrot
        Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by Powling View Post
          Interesting! I always thought the 318is came with LSD standard but I guess I was wrong. Good to know that the original buyer of mine spec'd it with the LSD from new.

Ya I though the same as well, learn something new every day. Looking good on the Ronals!

1992 M tech 2 Convertible - S50 Swap
          1992 e34 Touring- S50 Swap
          1992 325i-S50 Swap (SOLD)

1995 e36 M3 Mugello Red - S50 (SOLD)
          1991 325i Convertible Laguna Green (SOLD)
          1987 325i (SOLD);1992 M tech 2 Convertible (SOLD)
          1988 325i Convertible Alpine White (SOLD)
          Brilliantrot Convertible 80k Miles (SOLD)
          1992 325i Convertible Schwarz (SOLD)
          1992 318i Convertible Project-Finished (SOLD)

Comment

That's so cool you took your daughter with you dude. She'll remember that for the rest of her life. You're a good dad.

Comment

been a year or so since I've had the thought of purchasing an E30 and this thread is the exact replica of what I have envisioned in my head. I've read through the whole thread and wished it didn't end! I haven't pulled the trigger or made up my mind on the 318 or 325. Your build has changed my perception and has made me feel that either choice is a win/win in my book because these machines are beautiful either way! great build!

Comment

Originally posted by Danny View Post
                That's so cool you took your daughter with you dude. She'll remember that for the rest of her life. You're a good dad.
                #1 key to success, good and loving parents that can show you the ropes in life. Nothing will set you up better!

Comment

Originally posted by Powling View Post
                  Originally posted by KIRIEIW View Post
                  Ya I though the same as well, learn something new every day. Looking good on the Ronals!
                  Thanks! Yep, LSD was an option on the 318is. If you have one consider yourself lucky as it took me a while to find one!

Originally posted by Danny View Post
                  I'm hoping she doesn't lose interest in "car stuff". Don't get me wrong, we have plenty of kid specific activities, but it's nice that we can have fun with one of my hobbies.

Originally posted by rjsimeon View Post
                  been a year or so since I've had the thought of purchasing an E30 and this thread is the exact replica of what I have envisioned in my head. I've read through the whole thread and wished it didn't end! I haven't pulled the trigger or made up my mind on the 318 or 325. Your build has changed my perception and has made me feel that either choice is a win/win in my book because these machines are beautiful either way! great build!
                  Good luck with your search and thanks!

Originally posted by Jokester View Post
                  #1 key to success, good and loving parents that can show you the ropes in life. Nothing will set you up better!
                  Hope so!

Comment

Some updates...

Coil Packs
                    I've been hearing a tick from my engine bay for the last 6 weeks. At first it was intermittent. Then it was consistent and correlated to the RPM. It wasn't easy to pinpoint with the hood popped, but was very audible inside the cabin. I spent nearly an hour with a screw driver (cheap stethoscope) trying to find out where it was coming from under the hood. I was about 10 minutes from pulling the oil pan when I realized it was the coil packs. One of the "new" Bremi coil pack bases had come apart. I believe the tick was the coil pack arcing. I wish I had taken of a photo of this as it's quite unbelievable.

If we're keeping score that's 3 of 4 coil Bremi pack failures. I sent them all back for a refund and I'm running the stock coil packs (again) and the engine is tick free. At some point I'll just order the Bosch coil packs.

Sunroof Spare Parts
                    As I've said in the past, the dealer installed a Webasto Starlite 4 sunroof in my car back in '91 to sell it. These aren't made anymore. Parts are hard to find as I've been casually searching for years.

The last few weeks I've stepped up my search for spare sunroof parts. Nothing is broken at the moment, but I'd like to have spares on hand to include the motor, seals, glass, frame, etc. After a few days of calling wrecking yards I stumbled across The Sunroof Doctor. I chatted with Rick, presumably the owner, on the phone about the Webasto Starlite 4. The Sunroof Doctor stocks seals for these, purchased from Webasto many years ago. Excellent.

Here's the crazy part (to me). While I'm on the phone with Rick, he tells me that Webasto provided OEM sunroofs to Ford/Lincoln in the 80s and 90s. The Webasto Starlite 4 sunroof glass, frame, seals, track, etc are interchangeable with the:
                    - 1987-88 Ford Thunderbird/Mercury Cougar
                    - 1988-1994 Lincoln Continental

Holy smokes! So I've been searching for years for Webasto Starlite spares when I could've been searching for Thunderbird, Cougar, and Continental parts cars. Sure enough, 20 miles form my house a guy was parting a 1988 Thunderbird and had the sunroof assembly. I took the trip and chatted with the guy for 30 minutes about his collection of Thunderbirds/Cougars. Nice fella. The sunroof spares he was selling were rusty so I passed. I was able to inspect them and confirm they are the same parts in my sunroof.

Enter ebay. I found the spare moonroof glass/frame on ebay. $100 shipped to my door. It's nice to have a spare on hand. The seal is even in better shape than mine. The only difference is the chrome trim ring around the glass, which I can remove and/or scuff and shoot black if I ever need it.

Sunroof seal
                    The existing sunroof seal needed to be replaced. I ordered a replacement from The Sunroof Doctor. The seal on the spare glass/frame I ordered was in excellent shape, so instead of installing the new seal I just swapped the glass/frame. I'll keep the extra, new seal as a spare.

Stromung Exhaust Group Buy
                    The Group Buy was a success. I'm not sure on the final numbers because some people placed orders outside the forum, but I believe we were close to 30 commitments for exhausts. We achieved the full discount. I'm excited to get mine installed!

Small Case S4.10
                    I ordered a stud kit from Condor Speed Shop. I'm in the process of researching gear oil. I'll order some new washers for the drain and fill plugs. Hoping to install this in the next month! In the meantime, I installed the stud kit (took less than 2 minutes).

Last edited by mike.bmw; 02-09-2019, 05:01 PM.

Comment

That's really neat about the sunroof!
                      Plug and Play Wiring Harness Adapters for S54, S50, M54 and more.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew325is View Post
                        That's really neat about the sunroof!
                        Yeah, the lack of sunroof parts had been causing me a bit of stress. There is ZERO information on the internet correlating the Webasto unit to the Ford/Lincoln units. Over the past couple years I've even called Webasto a few times to get more information, which resulted in nothing. It's a bit of a relief to know these parts can be found fairly easily. I'll probably pick up a spare motor, sun shade, and track assembly just to have on hand. The glass and seal were the biggest concerns and now i have spares for those.

Comment

Originally posted by mike.bmw View Post
                          Coil Packs
                          I've been hearing a tick from my engine bay for the last 6 weeks. At first it was intermittent. Then it was consistent and correlated to the RPM. It wasn't easy to pinpoint with the hood popped, but was very audible inside the cabin. I spent nearly an hour with a screw driver (cheap stethoscope) trying to find out where it was coming from under the hood. I was about 10 minutes from pulling the oil pan when I realized it was the coil packs. One of the "new" Bremi coil pack bases had come apart. I believe the tick was the coil pack arcing. I wish I had taken of a photo of this as it's quite unbelievable.

If we're keeping score that's 3 of 4 coil Bremi pack failures. I sent them all back for a refund and I'm running the stock coil packs (again) and the engine is tick free. At some point I'll just order the Bosch coil packs.

Interesting, as I've had a ticking sound since I purchased this second 318i. My ticking noise can be continuous/intermittent at times, but it does also correlate with the RPMs. I still have it after overhauling the entire timing system, so could very well be the coil packs (stock / original to my knowledge). Think I'll have a look as I don't think I've ever replaced these.

1991 BMW 318i (Old Shell RIP, Now Being Re-shelled & Reborn)
                          1983 Peugeot 505 STI
                          1992 Volvo 240 Wagon
                          2009 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Sport 4WD

Comment

thats great news on the Sunroof. Always nice to have spares on random, rare parts
                            Simon
                            Current Cars:
                            -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by freeride53 View Post
                              Interesting, as I've had a ticking sound since I purchased this second 318i. My ticking noise can be continuous/intermittent at times, but it does also correlate with the RPMs. I still have it after overhauling the entire timing system, so could very well be the coil packs (stock / original to my knowledge). Think I'll have a look as I don't think I've ever replaced these.
                              It may also be lifter tap. That can sometimes be remedied with a different weight oil. I'm running Mobil 1 15W-50 and after a couple oil changes it happens far less than it used to.

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                              thats great news on the Sunroof. Always nice to have spares on random, rare parts
                              Yep! About to pull the trigger on a NOS sunroof motor. Ebay can be a wonderful thing.

Comment

LSD Progress
                                Not installed yet, but I did change the oil. So easy to change the oil when the diff is out of the car. You can even tilt it forward to make sure most of the old oil drains! I plan to install this thing soon-ish.

I went with Redline 75W90 and new crush washers.

Oil draining:

Old oil was very clean:

Katie's Cars and Coffee
                                Other than that, I drove out to Katie's Cars and Coffee for the first time in a while. Decent turnout for sub freezing temps.

Last edited by mike.bmw; 02-21-2019, 09:12 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X