No announcement yet.

Mike's Alpine White 1991 318is

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mike, does nobody live in your city? Looks like a completely empty city. I mean, I'm assuming this is good photography skills, but part of me also thinks some of those angles in a city would be impossible to get zero cars or people on.

Comment

Originally posted by jeenyus View Post
      Mike, does nobody live in your city? Looks like a completely empty city. I mean, I'm assuming this is good photography skills, but part of me also thinks some of those angles in a city would be impossible to get zero cars or people on.
      There's isn't too much going on up where he lives. I'm not too far from him.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
      '91 318i (Alpine) - daily
      '88 325ix (Zinno) - drive here and there!

Comment

Originally posted by Albie325 View Post
        Jesus that car is friggin' clean, looks brand new.
        Thanks! Your project has certainly been an inspiration for mine!

Originally posted by jeenyus View Post
        Ha, thanks! Aside from changing exposure and/or cropping in Mac Preview, I've never actually edit any of my photos. The last round of photos was taken on Easter Sunday at 6:15AM so most places were empty of cars/people. Most of my "photo shoots" are taken just before sunrise which limits the number of people out and about. I have some other locations I'd like to use, but those spots always have other cars/people around so I'll keep trying. :D

Comment

M Tech 2 Steering Wheel (385mm)

I won an ebay auction for an M Tech 2 Steering Wheel a few weeks ago. It arrived today. It has a nice new wrap on it. If it was accurately described I would say I got it for a good price, though I feel that some things were NOT accurately described in the auction so I have contacted the seller with my concerns. The seller has a ~4500 100% ebay rating, so I'm hoping we can work something out that doesn't involve me shipping it back to Europe. In the meantime I took some photos and fitted it.

The wrap uses tri-color stitching in a non-stock pattern, but I like the placement of the stitching. Additional padding was used under the new wrap. The color of the wrap doesn't match the horn pad 100%, but it's not that noticeable and I knew this prior to bidding (not a concern).

Here are some tips for installation:
          - For airbag equipped cars you will need an additional spacer (part # 32311120260). Installation looks like this -> existing spacer, steering wheel, additional spacer, washer, nut.
          - For airbag equipped cars you will need to pull the white, spring loaded plastic peg out. I used vice grips to clamp down on the white peg and gave it a good pull. Save this if you want to revert back to stock.
          - To pull the existing steering wheel put your key in the ignition in the accessory position. This will allow you to pull the existing wheel.

Photos:

Last edited by mike.bmw; 05-02-2019, 01:53 PM.

Comment

Looks good Mike!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
            '91 318i (Alpine) - daily
            '88 325ix (Zinno) - drive here and there!

Comment

Looks fantastic. I recently picked up an Mtech II steering wheel and I am excited to get it on. Hopefully it looks as good as yours does.

Comment

Looks great! Do you have any problems with hitting the stalks when turning? The Mtech wheel sits lower/further forward on the steering column.

I used non airbag stalks when I replaced mine with an Mtech 2.
                1990 325iX Touring - November 2018 R3V Car Of The Month

1980 Volkswagen Golf mk1 1.1
                1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by D.Martijn View Post
                  Looks great! Do you have any problems with hitting the stalks when turning? The Mtech wheel sits lower/further forward on the steering column.

I used non airbag stalks when I replaced mine with an Mtech 2.
                  So... my concerns have been realized. After sitting in the car last night I realized the right side of the wheel was MUCH closer to the stalks than the left side. In additional to a few other signs, I believe this steering wheel was in a crash and I'm pushing the seller to return the wheel and refund my money. This morning I swapped the stock wheel and airbag back into the car.

Next order of business is figuring out how to reset the SRS faults I caused when turning the car on without an airbag installed...

Bent wheel (see the angle of the hub in relation to the flat, level table):

Damaged splines:

Bent metal around the hub:

Last edited by mike.bmw; 05-02-2019, 04:29 PM.

Comment

When I installed my M Tech 1 wheel in my airbag car I just carefully bent the stalks back towards the dash a bit and now my hands clear them no problem.
                    Steve • Toronto
                    1991 318is • Brillantrot
                    Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by mike.bmw View Post
                      So... my concerns have been realized. After sitting in the car last night I realized the right side of the wheel was MUCH closer to the stalks than the left side. In additional to a few other signs, I believe this steering wheel was in a crash and I'm pushing the seller to return the wheel and refund my money. This morning I swapped the stock wheel and airbag back into the car.

Next order of business is figuring out how to reset the SRS faults I caused when turning the car on without an airbag installed...
                      Here's a thread that explains the reset procedure. I had to try is a couple of time to get the timing just right.

1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by D.Martijn View Post
                        Here's a thread that explains the reset procedure. I had to try is a couple of time to get the timing just right.

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...66#post4841266
                        Just did this and it worked perfectly (first time too!). THANK YOU!

I have read a few other posts that stated using pins #1 and #6, but this is incorrect. The post you provided is correct in that it uses pins #6 (SRS) and #19 (ground).

The seller has agreed to a refund and I the steering wheel is already back in the mail. The search continues.

And to answer your original question: I have no idea about the stalks. The right side of the steering wheels was less than an inch from the stalk and the left side of the wheel was a solid 2" from the stock. Yeah, the wheel was that bent. Once I get a "normal" MT2 wheel I'll let you know. :)

Comment

Your car is looking great! I'm loving the Ronals... I just had my old set powdercoated. They look proper on these cars.

That's a shame about the steering wheel. It looks seriously bent.
                          '90 325i - 5 speed coupe
                          '05 330ci 6MT ZHP

Comment

lol no effing way with that wheel - looks great. Brb going to update my build thread.

1991 BMW 318i (Old Shell RIP, Now Being Re-shelled & Reborn)
                            1983 Peugeot 505 STI
                            1992 Volvo 240 Wagon
                            2009 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Sport 4WD

Comment

Originally posted by mike.bmw View Post
                              Just did this and it worked perfectly (first time too!). THANK YOU!

I have read a few other posts that stated using pins #1 and #6, but this is incorrect. The post you provided is correct in that it uses pins #6 (SRS) and #19 (ground).

The seller has agreed to a refund and I the steering wheel is already back in the mail. The search continues.

And to answer your original question: I have no idea about the stalks. The right side of the steering wheels was less than an inch from the stalk and the left side of the wheel was a solid 2" from the stock. Yeah, the wheel was that bent. Once I get a "normal" MT2 wheel I'll let you know. :)
                              If you're looking for a Mtexh 2 wheel in Europe anyway, check out Ebay kleinanzeigen (Germany) or leboncoin (France)
                              There are a couple for sale on there.

1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

Bummer about the MTech 2, but man it looked so much better than that big ugly airbag. Fingers crossed you find another one soon, about the only thing this car needs at this point
                                '86 325e Zinnoberrot /// '02 325ci Schwarz II /// '18 M4 Azurite Black Metallic ///

Albie325 Build Thread | Albie325 COTM Jan 2021

Comment

Working...
                                X