No announcement yet.

New owner, BMW 325iX Touring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's been a pretty uneventfull couple of weeks on the Touring *knocks on wood*. My uncles very happy with the work done on his Touring and is loving the short shifter.

I have a full set of 5 iX wheels but only have 4 normal besketweaves.
    This week I had a day off of work, I decided to go the The Netherlands and pick up a spare regular 15inch basketweave (ET24). Mainly so I have a correct spare for when we do our roadtrip to the Alps :)
    The seller had a nice selection of a couple cabrio and Baur E30s, a design edition E30 Touring, a E34 Touring and an E21.

I also found a company who were able to repair my original Bavaria C Business radio, It's very common that the display fails on these. Turned out it's actually not the display but the ribbon cable.
    After disassembling the radio and making sure the cable looked the same as the one listed, I contacted the shop. Turned out they didn't have a manual for this repair. I decided to send my radio over to them so I didn't f*ck it up :p
    This week they got it repaired and shipped out. Today it already arrived.

While it was gone, I also ordered a new power/volume knob.

Very pleased with the result and finally figured out how to manually tune in to radio stations as I couldn't see anything before :p

1990 325iX Touring - November 2018 R3V Car Of The Month

1980 Volkswagen Golf mk1 1.1
    1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

Still the nicest topic for iX owners - a lot of good information from your side.
      What I recently found out was that it’’s quite easy to add bluetooth connection to old BMW radios. I think this would be a great upgrade.

Comment

That would be such a good car for an Alps ski trip
        sigpic

(clicky on piccy to get to thread)

Comment

Originally posted by Aigar View Post
          Still the nicest topic for iX owners - a lot of good information from your side.
          What I recently found out was that it’’s quite easy to add bluetooth connection to old BMW radios. I think this would be a great upgrade.
          Thanks man! I'm try my best to give correct information however there are far more iX enthusiasts that know a ton more than I do on this forum :)
          Yeah, I've had a second look on Google and found some sort of adapter that might work on my radio as well. I've contacted the company to ask if they can confirm that this adapter also works on my radio.

That would definitly be a nice upgrade; although I don't really listen to any music when driving my iX. I prefer the sound of the straight six

Originally posted by econti View Post
          That would be such a good car for an Alps ski trip
          Thank you! We're planning on doing an Alps trip in September.
          (Furkapass, Bernina, Silveretta, Stelvio... just a couple from the list ;) )

1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

In preparation of our Alps roadtrip, I decided to re-tension my handbrake as it got a little bit looser.
            When removing the rear wheels and rotors, I also noticed some black CV grease leaked out of the right joint. When I refurbished them, I also removed the crimped metal cup, there is an O-ring that seals the grease but I think I might have damaged it when installing. I decided it was best to remove the CV shaft and reseal the metal cup with some sealant.
            Should hold up just fine

A while back I got a new center console piece; however with shipping one of the plastic ribs had broken. I was able to epoxy it back together, it's barely visible.
            The old one that was currently fitted was broken on several places.. When swapping the consoles out, I noticed my original one was made by SIEMENS and on the new one there's a brand name (Helpos?) but I can't seem to find it on Google..
            There are a couple of small differences between both of them.

1) I'm not sure for what this little grill is used but on one of them the hole is off center + the grill openings are smaller and some of them are closed.

2) Top section at the OBC is on one of them smaller

And fitted, I also received a replacement oil temperature sensor. The original one I bought suddenly had a bad connection. I contacted the seller and he send me a new one.
            If there are people interested in one of these, this is his instagram account. He uses original buttons, it's possible to turn of the display as well. Very nice guy. https://www.instagram.com/bad_e30/

1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

So next week we'll start our roadtrip to/through the Alps.

The week we come back, my uncles is participating in a timed rally that weekend with his 325iX Touring. In preparation for the rally he wanted a light bar as there are some sections where there will be no lights. (There's a drive when it's evening/night and one the next day)
              I had already ordered some Hella 5000 lights, today I got some steel to make the bracket and some wiring loom tape + some small hardware.

The Hella kit comes with pretty much everything you need. Pretty nice wiring loom as well which made this a lot easier.

Bracket made and fitted, we made sure that he can still use the front tow hook

Should be plenty strong :D

With the lights fitted.

We took power from the right side of the engine bay, routed the power wires against the firewall and decided to make a bracket that mounts onto thestruts to hold the relais.
              Also split the wires that go to the lights with a connector so it's easy to remove just the light bar without having to remove the wiring harness in the engine bay.

First time switching the lights on, it works!

And some black paint. Pretty happy with the end result.

1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

It looks good. Nice job. If you put a lip on the backside of the long bar and drilled holes in it, you could route the wire there with zip ties and it would not be as noticeable. Just a suggestion for version 2.
                How to remove, install or convert to pop out windows
                http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=297611

Could be better, could be worse.

Comment

Originally posted by rzerob View Post
                  It looks good. Nice job. If you put a lip on the backside of the long bar and drilled holes in it, you could route the wire there with zip ties and it would not be as noticeable. Just a suggestion for version 2.
                  Thanks man. I first wanted to rout the wires through the upper tube but frankly that was too much hassle for me. He'll only use it a couple of times through out the year.

1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

Again with an update, Just got back yesterday evening from our roadtrip to the Alps. Overall a great trip, only ended badly.. :(

First day, headed to Germany via Luxembourg. First fill up at the gas station :)

Drove a bit further towards France and had a little picnic at the side of the road. Living that Touring live

And driving through Germany towards the Schwarze Wald.

Awesome roads and even better views!

Arrived at the first hotel of our trip. After a few half liter beers and a great dinner we went to bed.

Second day we dove further down Germany towards, Switzerland. Pretty wunderfull once we were met with this view

After driving for a while through Switzerland, we arrived in Austria. Where we had a picnic at the side of the road.

And second hotel on our trip in Austria. Very friendly owners!

We arrived a bit earlier as we only did 250km that day. We made a small walk towards the lake and had dinner afterwards.

We got up pretty early. The hotel was only 20km from Silvretta

Almost at the top, quick picture :)

And at the top, greeted with yet another great view

Driving down Silvretta we met some locals :p

Then we drove towards Stelvio in Italy

As it was midday we had lunch at a restaurant just at the start of Stelvio pass

After 30min of climbing we were at the top! Can't believe we drove all this way to the top

We then drove from Stelvio to Tirano where we had our next hotel. This is where things take a turn.
                    There was a long stretch of tunnels we went through. In one of the tunnels, it seemed like the engine died and started right back up - there was a sudden drop of rpm.
                    Not sure what caused this but we guessed maybe some oxygen starvation because of the long tunnels.. idk.

We arrived safely in Tirano without any more drops in rpm.

The next day we drove back towards Switzerland to Bernina pass. Got up Bernina just fine, when going through St Moritz I again had a few drops in rpm.
                    We got to Julier pass where we stopped at the top to check a few things out. I checked the rotor and distributor, alternator and battery voltage, earth points.. All looked good.
                    When we decided to get back on track, I started the engine and heard a knocking noise from in the block.... it was running on what seemed 5 cylinders.
                    I shurt the engine off, decided to remove the sparkplugs and found nothing. Reinstalled them, tried turning the engine back on, ran just fine.

Started the descent, when I needed to press the gas pedal again, I felt some vibration in my foot, decided to turn the engine off and coast towards the first driveway.

This is where we decided to call our assistance.

After a couple of hours, the towtruck arrived.

The next day, the car needed to go to an official BMW dealer. Luckily there was a dealer pretty local (30min drive) in Chur. After some more calls and waiting, they diagnosed the car. (They also thought it's probably connecting rod bearings.. just like I expected.)
                    And told the Assistance it's not something you fix in 48h time and thus the car needs to get repatriated bac to Belgium.

To still continue our trip we got a loaner VW Tiguan. The day after we drove back to Belgium.

Currently the E30 is still at the BMW dealer Alpina Chur in Switzerland.
                    I got a call today from the Assistance and they are currently looking into the repatriation of my E30. They told me it will take upto 10 working days..

Can't wait to get it back at home!

Now is the question, Do I rebuild the current engine to original spec of to I stroke it to 2.7 or 2.8l..
                    Suggestions?

1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

That's an amazing trip! That road to Stelvio is pretty iconic and I'm pretty sure has been a wallpaper background on my computer a few times. Just beautiful. I say do what makes most sense. Stroker is cool, m20 turbo is also cool. I think either way, some sort of standalone or diagnostic tool seems like a great investment for these long road trips.

Comment

Seems a little odd that rod bearings would make it drop in RPMs that violently.

Stroker is kind of a waste of time unless you can easily and cheaply get the parts. It doesn't make a huge difference.
                        sigpic

(clicky on piccy to get to thread)

Comment

Fantastic trip! Curious to see what they find when they tear it down. My brother is currently backpacking in that area and I get to hang onto his IX while he is away :)

Comment

Originally posted by jeenyus View Post
                            That's an amazing trip! That road to Stelvio is pretty iconic and I'm pretty sure has been a wallpaper background on my computer a few times. Just beautiful. I say do what makes most sense. Stroker is cool, m20 turbo is also cool. I think either way, some sort of standalone or diagnostic tool seems like a great investment for these long road trips.
                            Thanks man! It was amazing unfortunately couldn't do the whole trip as planned, maybe another time..
                            Yeah it will all depend on how the parts look when I disassemble the current block. Not planning on adding a turbo so if I don't go the original route, stroker it is.

Originally posted by econti View Post
                            Seems a little odd that rod bearings would make it drop in RPMs that violently.

Stroker is kind of a waste of time unless you can easily and cheaply get the parts. It doesn't make a huge difference.
                            Yeah, I'm thinking the rpm dropping is some electrical problem. Just coincidence that the bearings went too..
                            I mean there are plenty of kits for sale for a reasonable price. I'm just looking for a little extra oomph.

Originally posted by ndfspd67 View Post
                            Fantastic trip! Curious to see what they find when they tear it down. My brother is currently backpacking in that area and I get to hang onto his IX while he is away :)
                            Thanks man! The garage in Swiss won't do a rebuild or further diagnose. Once the car is back in Belgium, it'll go into my own workshop where I will take it apart.
                            Awesome but take care of it ;)

1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

This week I finally got a message that my car arrived ot my local BMW dealer. I went right after work together with my brother and uncle to tow the car back to our workshop

Had to get used to not having a brake booster the first couple of meters but the towing went pretty smooth. It wasn't that far either.

And at it's home for the next couple of months..

Unfortunatly the shipping company left some marks... I should be able to polish these out but still.. it sucks

They also managed to fuck up the under tray...

The plan is to now remove the egine, check for wear and then start sourcing parts for the 2.8 stroker if the original pistons/cylinders are still ok.

1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

oh man, those under trays are basically NLA. how did they even manage to scratch the roof like that? I feel like compensation is in order.

Comment

Working...
                                X