No announcement yet.

New owner, BMW 325iX Touring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not a lot has happened over the last couple of months on the E30.
    It's been sitting in the workshop awaiting registration on classic plates. Still haven't had an update regarding the transport damage as well...

In the meantime I sourced some more parts :D
    I found some very nice iX front struts, pretty much in brand new condition. included brake shields and hubs. I just couldn't let them go, had to have them!
    Knowing mine are still pretty good and got sandblasted/painted recently, I'll just keep these as spares for now.

None, or at least very little rust between the tube and spring perch!

As well as the holder for the removable tow hook. This mounts on to the existing plastic battery cover in the boot. number 9 on the diagram. This way, I have the tow hook always with me in the car, currently it's just sitting on the shelf :p

And last but not least, I sourced a full SWRA or intensive headlight washer kit. However, I'm still searching for the iX specific small fluid container as this wasn't included.
    If any one has one for sale.. please let me know! :)

Both the SWRA and towhook holder still need to arrive so expect some futher pictures of the installation..

1990 325iX Touring - November 2018 R3V Car Of The Month

1980 Volkswagen Golf mk1 1.1
    1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

This week I received the holder for the removable towhook

And with my towhook fitted, pretty secure fit.

Fitted in the boot, I still need two more clips (the same ones as for the plastic covers for the headlights)

I had also ordered the wiring loom for the maplight mirror a long time ago but never got around fitting it. A guy in the UK makes them just like the originals.
      I had already fitted one before on my uncles Touring.

Plugged in in the corresponding connector at the drivers side speaker hole

And the wiring coming through the mounting hole for the rear view mirror.
      I routed the wiring loom behind the A pillar trim panel, between the headliner and roof frame than through a hole in the frame towards the mounting hole.

Unfortunatly... the previous owner snipped the original connector off from the mirror :(
      However, the same seller as the wiring loom has some extra connectors.

1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

Received and already fitted the new plug for the map light mirror.

As well as the SWRA/intensive cleaning kit. Unfortunatly, the box got damaged while shipping and one little wiper blade seems to have fallen out.. :(
        I do have the washer bottle too, just not the iX one.

I also got some replacement rubber blades for the headlight cleaning kit, I stumbled upon an old Ebay listing and decided to contact the seller.
        Luckily he still had some extra wiper blades. I also got a set for a friend of mine.

And finally, I've been considering replacing the fabric of the headliner but have been having a pretty hard time finding a good source for the fabric. If anyone has some tips.. feel free to share!
        The lower sample is pretty close regarding color but the patern is unfortunatly not the same..

1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

Nice updates! I'm not sure how I missed the last few.

Those strut tubes look excellent.

I'm very interested to see how the headlight wipers install and function.

Keep up the great work!

Comment

you wouldn't want to do a dark headliner? why the decision to go tan?

Comment

Originally posted by mike.bmw View Post
              Nice updates! I'm not sure how I missed the last few.

Those strut tubes look excellent.

I'm very interested to see how the headlight wipers install and function.

Keep up the great work!
              Thanks Mike!
              've found an other guy in France with an iX that installed the cleaning system without the smaller extra iX fluid container.
              Or I might modify the washer bottle I got with the kit.

Originally posted by jeenyus View Post
              you wouldn't want to do a dark headliner? why the decision to go tan?
              I don't know, I think it might make the inside of the car look smaller when it's black? I kinda like the tan color too actually..

1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by D.Martijn View Post
                I don't know, I think it might make the inside of the car look smaller when it's black? I kinda like the tan color too actually..
                that makes sense. I would disagree about it feeling smaller. I think it would actually be the opposite. I only ask because I'm sure it's an easier material to source/match.

Comment

that makes sense. I would disagree about it feeling smaller. I think it would actually be the opposite. I only ask because I'm sure it's an easier material to source/match.
                  Yeah, black headliner material is definitly easier to source.
                  Guess I'll search some more :)

1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by D.Martijn View Post
                    Yeah, black headliner material is definitly easier to source. Guess I'll search some more :)
                    I think whatever you decide on will look great. You seem to have that part figured out Martijn.

Comment

Before fitting the headlight cleaning system, I wanted to freshen up some of the parts.
                      I was able to remove most of the screws for the plastic nubs on the headlight rings, however 3 little screws gave me a pretty hard time.
                      After working them lose, only one screw was still holding very tight, I first though I could try and put the ring in some boiling water to soften everyhting up but decided to just use the torch on the side of the screw.
                      quickly heating up the screw without ruining the little plastic nub, well it worked!

First 9 pieces removed, I'm going to source some new screws at the local hardware shop, might have to let them order some though as I doubt they will have such little ones in stock.
                      I'll paint the plastic pieces with some SEM black trim paint as well.

And removed!

Already sandblasted and first layer of anti rust primer applied, before stripping them, I went to the store and tried to match them with some paint.

Being 30 years old, the original black electrical tape BMW used for the wiring loom was very hard and had a couple of tears too, so I removed the old tape and rewrapped the loom.

Also cleaned up the plastic wiring tube and connectors. I plan on ordering some new housings for the connectors for the pumps too.

1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

nice work man!

Comment

In the evenings after work I've been busy with painting the headlight rings, I've put on 2 coats of anti rust primer, a first coat of primer, wetsanded with 600 grit and another coat of primer.
                          Very happy with the result so far, today I put on the first coat of color. I decided to go with a silver/metallic heat resistant paint as it matched the original color the best.
                          I also tried a regular wheelspray but the shade was a bit too light.

Today I also got a email from my BMW dealer that the parts had arrived, so after work I went and got those.
                          Already clipped on the connector housings on the SWRA wiring loom. Looks a lot better!

I also got some wiring clips for the wiper motor connectors

As well as the plastic pieces of the headlight rings got some SEM paint

Finally I also got some new stainless steel screws for those plastic nubs (or whatever they are callad)
                          However, the head of the screw is a bit too big. I've tried searching for some with a smaller head but can't seem to find any yet.
                          I might just grind the head down a little if nothing turns up.

1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

nice work man!
                            Thanks man! It takes a while to clean/paint everthing but it'll be worth it.
                            Pretty exited to install these

1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

So as some of you might know, BavAllrad (Kent Zimmerman) figured out a way to have a quick ratio steering rack for the iX.
                              Since shipping is pretty expensive, I thought I might give it a shot myself since I have acces to plenty of machinery at my work.

I already ordered the rack, should arrive any time now.
                              So the only left, was a front subframe, after searching a couple second hand websites, I found a guy in Germany selling one together with a couple of other iX parts.

Today I mad the 990km drive to get the parts
                              Luckily I was able to use a couple of parts of the Autobahn and got to test the GTI..

Full frnt subframe with steering rack, tie rod assembly and front swaybar, 2 rear swaybars, 2 iX oilpans with oil level sensors, front T-case-diff axle and rear H&R iX springs.
                              I'm definitely will be keeping most of these parts, however probably will try to sell the swaybars, 1 oilpan and the rear springs.

As for the SWRA, I'm still waiting for some small parts to arrive, but got started on reassembling the headlight rings.
                              I used the new screws I got but had to shave the head down a little using the drill to hold and spin the screw against the angle grinder with a grinding wheel.

Still plenty of head left to use a screwdriver

Happy with the finish of the rings as well!

1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

Road trips for parts are the best. Especially when they are accurately described and you don't go home empty handed. The rings turned out great!

Comment

Working...
                                X