No announcement yet.

New owner, BMW 325iX Touring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Today I got a message from the dealer that the rebuild kit arrived, I went and got it and immediately started on the tear down.
    Pretty straight forward, you just have to be a bit organized when removing the old tumblers and putting them in the right order.

Drivers side lock together, with the regular locking finally working again, I guess I was lucky that the double locking still worked for this long

Both new locks

Since I had the door cards removed to fit the new locks, I decided to fit the new tweater I got in a lot of parts a long time ago. However, I remember switching the drivers side door loom with an other one that had the tweater wires fitted, I got both driver and passenger side looms.
    But it turns out the new passenger wiring loom I had is missing the central locking wiring. So I decided to remove the tweater wires and fit then in the C404 plug at the A pillar. I think it was pin 20 & 21.

And since I was busy with working in/on the interior, I also fitted the new gas pedal bushings, the old ones for the spring were pretty toast.
    Used some silicon grease for fitting them
    1990 325iX Touring - November 2018 R3V Car Of The Month

1980 Volkswagen Golf mk1 1.1
    1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

double post..

1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

As some of you might know, I was missing the iX specific washer bottle for the SWRA system.
        Turns out, I was able to find on in Germany a couple of days ago!

Yesterday it arrived, I am missing the cap and the red label but the container that I received with the wash system has this on fitted. So no need to buy them new.
        In the retrofit manual from BMW, they state if you don't have the stud to secure the container, you need to drill a hole and use a bolt to secure it in place.
        I've found some weld on studs on Ebay, which I might try and weld into place to make it all look even more OEM :)

I also received my once piece hood insulation. Here in Europe, these only came with M3s and diesels. But I've read some models in the US also got them?

On this picture it was still a little wet from cleaning the pad. It's not as black once dry. Not sure if I should try and paint/dye it again?
        I still need to order the clips from my dealer in order to fit it to the hood of the Touring

1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

Nice work, as always. I learned the hard way that the tumblers fall out when the key is removed. First time rebuilding a lock and I wasn't prepared for that. :)

I believe most US models got the single piece hood insulation, with the exception of the 318i/is which received 3 piece hood insulation glued to the hood.

Comment

Originally posted by mike.bmw View Post
            Nice work, as always. I learned the hard way that the tumblers fall out when the key is removed. First time rebuilding a lock and I wasn't prepared for that. :)

I believe most US models got the single piece hood insulation, with the exception of the 318i/is which received 3 piece hood insulation glued to the hood.
            Luckily I've watched a video a while back so I knew to be careful when disassembling the tumblers. There was plenty of grease so keep them seated tho.

I didn't know that, over here only the M3 and diesels got the one piece hood isolation.

1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

I had ordered the correct rivets/clips to install the one piece hood isolation but didn't get a reply from my dealer. I guess the guy ordering parts was on holiday as it took them a bit longer than usual to get the parts.
              Today I removed the old crumbling isolation from the hood. I had a try at removing the old glue, but didn't bother as it'll get covered up with the new isolation pad.. that's lazy, am I right?!

I've tried to check clearance with the throttle body but it's hard to tell. However, with mike.bmw telling me that the US models got this standard, I'm pretty confident that it'll be fine.

Last time I drove the Touring, I noticed a very vague/sloppy feel in the steering wheel. I remember having the same feeling before when I daily drove the iX but maybe with driving the GTI now daily, which is pretty firm overall. I noticed it even more.
              I decided to look into replacing the rubber steering shaft guibo with a poly or even a derlin one. Today I checked where this is located as it's different on airbag cars.

1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by D.Martijn View Post

I've tried to check clearance with the throttle body but it's hard to tell. However, with mike.bmw telling me that the US models got this standard, I'm pretty confident that it'll be fine.
                Oh man! The pressure is on now! :-)

Every 325i/is/e/es I've seen in the U.S. has come with the one-piece hood insulation. I will feel terrible if yours doesn't fit and I've led you down the wrong path.

Comment

Originally posted by mike.bmw View Post

Oh man! The pressure is on now! :-)

Every 325i/is/e/es I've seen in the U.S. has come with the one-piece hood insulation. I will feel terrible if yours doesn't fit and I've led you down the wrong path.
                  Oh no no no! don't worry hahaha
                  I had already purchased it before you told me so it's all on me :p

1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

Today I wanted to wash the E30 again, my brother decided to help me out. Later on he suggested to lightly polish it, to remove some of the swirl marks.
                    While he was polishing, I applied Gyeon Q2 Trim on the black trim pieces. I had everything coated more than a year ago and it still was somewhat coated but definitely got faded again. However they say that it should last 1 year and it did since I still dailyed the E30 back then.

First we washed and clay barred it at home, then drove to the workshop

We didn't want to touch the roof too much since I'm still dealing with the transport damage from the Alps. Almost one year ago!!

Coated trim pieces, like new!

A friend of mine also showed up, he needed a new thermostat as the one currently fitted wasn't working properly.
                    He just finished rebuilding his entire engine and cylinder head + suspension and fitted an E46 steering rack. Looks great on the H&R springs!

1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

It's amazing what a good detail can do
                      sigpic

(clicky on piccy to get to thread)

Comment

Very nice project and you have some amazing skills!!
                        BMW E30 M3 - S50B32
                        www.e30.is

Comment

Originally posted by econti View Post
                          It's amazing what a good detail can do
                          Thanks man! There are still some pretty deep scratches on the A pillars. I'm pretty sure the or one of the previous owners only went to the carwash 🙄

Originally posted by Mazi! View Post
                          Very nice project and you have some amazing skills!!
                          Much appreciated, thanks for the nice comment!

1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

So an update about the steering column guibo. After looking online, there are two different types. One regular and one for airbag cars/steering column.
                            Most (delrin) steering couplers I find are for the regular steering column E30's, where the guibo is located inside of the engine bay. (However, with removing my original steering coupler, I think one of these might also fit. as the thickness of the coupler isn't very important which I later found out).

So before I knew about this information, I decided to order a "universal" polyurethane coupler that fit's a number of older BMWs (2002, E9, E28, E30....)
                            This week it arrived in the mail and I fitted it this weekend as next weekend I'll be participating in a drive/meet.

The new poly coupler it quite a bit thicker, I was hoping to be able to reuse the original studs that are pressed in the shaft and aluminium mount but had to press these out with the bench vise

It was a tight fit but I was able to wiggle the lower shaft away from the splines. (You do need to remove the big nut on the end of the shaft before disassembling everything else though!) As far as I understand, this nut just centers/holds the shaft onto the spline..
                            I've read a couple posts about tightening this nut resulting in less play in the steering wheel but according to me that doesn't do much.

And new coupler fitted, I made a short test drive and there is definitely a big difference in the overall feel and input. Feels a lot more direct and am able to make small inputs when cornering as before the steering felt a little vage.
                            I didn't use any grease on the metal inserts (I forgot and was way to eager to test it out). When the car is standing still and I rotate the steering wheel there is some rubbing noise coming from the coupler. I might come back and put some grease on the inserts

A while back I also noticed the Alpina gauge was a little loose, after contacting the seller. He told me that the clips that hold the gauge in place were likely broken off.
                            I asked if it was possible to order a new case, I only had to pay for shipping

And new case fitted with the original electronics, I'm now able to reposition/rotate the screen again :)

While being in the workshop, my uncle stopped by with his iX Touring. Next weekend he is participating in a timed rally and asked if we could fit the custom light bar again that we made for last years rally.

We also decided to install a couple thicker rear spring pads that I ordered a while ago but never had the time to fit them. The front of his iX sit's a little high (I'm pretty sure it's the original iX ride hegiht) compared to the rear.

His iX sits a lot more level now, before it squatted quite a bit in the rear especially when there was some weight in the trunk. Unfortunatly I don't have any before and after pictures..

Loving the SWRA look on mine :D

1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

Thanks for input that poly coupler, that is one thing in my list to do
                              https://www.facebook.com/Cry_77_IX-110483784967661
                              https://www.instagram.com/cry_77_ix/

Comment

Originally posted by litu View Post
                                Thanks for input that poly coupler, that is one thing in my list to do
                                Yeah, no worries! Worthwhile and pretty easy upgrade for sure!
                                I ordered this one.
                                Urethaan stuurstang rubber. Inclusief 8x40mm bouten met zelfborgende moeren. Vervang uw versleten rubberen stuurstang...

But I think it should be possible to also install on of these as well. I was a bit hesitant about the thickness but that shouldn't be a problem since the lower shaft can slide up and down according to the thickness of the coupler.
                                Discover the ultimate performance upgrades for your BMW Track car. Parts for the E30, E36, E46, E9x & more. Condor has the best quality American-made engine mounts, suspension bushings, brake lines & more!

1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

Working...
                                X