December 2016 Car of the Month: Sh3rpak!ng

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

December 2016 Car of the Month: Sh3rpak!ng

***Editors Note: Ive gotten to know Charlie quite well since he moved to SoCal and Ive watched his car go through its phases and its exactly what draws us to the cars and the community. He hasnt followed any trend and has built and will always continue to build the car to suit his taste. I also want to start spicing up the COTM and got another member to photograph his car. I hope you will enjoy this and hopefully the cars for the year to come. Congrats Charlie, you get to close out the 2016 Cars of the Month, bring on 2017!***

Color:

Bronzit beige metallic

Interior color:

Tan

Engine modifications:

OBD2 S52B32 rebuilt from the block, copper O-rings, stewart water pump, M50 IM, clutchmasters FX725 twin disc street/race clutch (one ceramic disc and one fiber disc), fully balanced rotating assembly, mishimoto x-line radiator 56mm core, 16” spal fan, revshift poly 24v swap mounts

Exhaust:

OBD2 headers, homemade Y merge, 2.5” magnaflow center muffler, 2.5” vibrant streetpower muffler, v-bands

Transmission:

ZF320, all new pins bushings and detents, all new seals, new selector rod and joint, IE short shifter, early model shift carrier bolted to trans tunnel (homemade DTM/AKG style shifter), no more than 1cm of play in any gear

Differential:

3.25 LSD created from an open e30 diff and an e36 LSD pumpkin, poly bushing

Suspension:

megan coilovers, swift springs (8k front, 10k rear), GC RSMs, IE swaybars (25mm front, 19mm rear), rear camber and toe adjusters, poly trans mounts, poly TABs, poly subframe bushings, front subframe reinforcements and clearance for exhaust, e46 330 steering rack

Wheels:

klutch sl1 black/bronze 8x16 et18, dunlop dz2 225/45, wheel studs

Exterior modifications:

zender evo style rear spoiler, is lip, depo smoked smileys, morimoto mini 7.0 retrofit, euro front/rear trim, euro headlight shrouds, black kidney grills, modified lower valence

Interior modifications:
    corbeau gt2 seats black microsuede, reupholstered black leather rear seats, momo mod 07 leather steering wheel, custom shift boot and knob, water temp, oil temp, oil pressure, afr, voltage gauges, kenwood stereo, planet audio amp, lukebox and sub, all new speakers, e36 window switches with one touch, stealth ashtray usb charger, refurbished cluster

Story behind the car:

After I moved to LA three years ago I realized I needed a daily to avoid putting miles on my e36. I was looking for an e30 with reasonable exterior condition but very good mechanical condition. Manual transmission was a must and I was leaning towards red exterior black interior. Saw a few overpriced abused cars and then came across this 89 bronzit 325i. Went to look at it a day after it was listed, mechanically and electronically everything worked (and exterior was good enough) so a price was negotiated and I bought it on the spot. After doing some basic maintenance, some interior/exterior mods and coilovers/wheels I decided it needed to be a bit faster to keep up with my e36. I also told myself this was for “reliability sake” and “for better gas mileage” even though the original 240k motor was running strong as ever and I was getting 22-23 mpg. So what started as a simple motor swap turned into a full blown engine build which resulted in quite a bit of “while you’re in there”s and massive scope creep. Wound up finding an correcting a few weak points after the swap was finished (like the necessity of an LSD, broken g260 trans, broken clutches etc.) which also resulted in more “while you’re in there’s and more scope creep.

I did daily the car with the s52 for about a year after completing the swap but as time passed and the modifications started adding up (and I started sweating without AC through the summer) the car was becoming less and less suitable for daily duty even though I continued to convince myself it was. Then almost exactly a year ago, the “inevitable” happened which I think was only a matter of time given that I commute ~110 miles a day through some of LA’s worst highways. Someone cut me off in stop-and-go traffic and immediately slammed their brakes leaving me time only to swerve and try to stop. I didn’t make it and smashed the left front corner of the car into their right rear bumper. To throw salt in the wound I had pretty much just decided that the car was “done” for the time being and I was on my way to pick up my girlfriend for our anniversary dinner. Luckily I escaped frame damage and what was damaged was mostly cosmetic minus a bent control arm. That said, it was a lot of damage. Not to be robbed of my pride and joy by some fools on a highway, I made plans to fix the damage and take things a step higher (aka more scope creep and “while you’re in there”s). At this point I was still telling myself that the car would continue to be my daily and I planned to install AC. LOL. About halfway through the repair work as I was welding plates into the engine bay prepping for a shave and tuck I came to my senses (***Editors Note: Pretty sure this was MY idea! ;) ***). I was going to stop pretending like this was a reasonable car to daily drive and embrace what it had become; a weekend toy to carve canyons and autox/track and safely enjoy away from highway warzones. So I ditched the AC idea and felt much better with the plan to detune the e36 making it my daily (it is quite a bit more comfortable and a convertible ) and then not having to feel guilty about slowly transforming the e30 into a racecar.

This more or less brings things up to date. I have mostly finished the repairs and additional upgrades/mods with a few details remaining to be completed. I will be attending my first track day with the s52 the first weekend of December at willow springs on the streets of willow course. Immediate future plans will probably bring fixed back seats, a roll bar, harnesses and no more rear seat. Long term plans will see the supercharger that was on my e36 installed on the e30. And probably more scope creep in the form of fender flares and bigger wheels.

and now the dope pics. thanks J.Rizo!

6_zpsmh6sh1s4 by 2mAn

7_zpsbzmumkdk by 2mAn

12_zps6pwyn5qh by 2mAn

26_zpszokkyp6v by 2mAn

27_zpsg4ofpcbq by 2mAn

29_zps4swc3d7r by 2mAn

32_zpsnke1hynq by 2mAn

39_zpskiqewmho by 2mAn

42_zpskft9htzl by 2mAn

16_zpsplorbkl6 by 2mAn

Cruising the PCH

44_zpsgxioz50k by 2mAn

45_zpsglqnnkvt by 2mAn

link to the build thread here
    Last edited by 2mAn; 07-22-2017, 02:38 PM. Reason: fuck photobucket
    Simon
    Current Cars:
    -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Very nice!

Comment

Love the rear spoiler... I'm surprised more people don't like them on normal E30s. How do you like the Recaro LS clones? I've heard they are wider than the real thing.

You sure you want to modify it beyond a capable street machine like it is now? E36s make better track cars IMO. E30 will never overcome its wheel fitment and rear suspension limitations. The truth is that E30s are a jack of all trades car. There is nothing - not driving involvement, not track capability, not straight line speed, not comfort - that they are the best at. They are still a great car, but one that is best enjoyed as an E30, not turned into something that it's not.
      1991 318is Brillantrot daily driver (slow restoration)

Comment

I should've came by to see this in the daylight instead of night, looks great!

Comment

Rad build all around, I've enjoyed reading through his thread and will admit this car is making me like Bronzit more and more :)

--Roundie Revival 2.0 - 1973 BMW 2002 Build Thread--
          --Golden Boy E30 Build Thread-- (sold)

Comment

Interior looks mean. Love the seats!

Comment

Thanks Simon for the article! Very humbled to be chosen for this :) it wasn't too long ago that I was only lurking around here studying all the awesome build threads, knowledge and COTM articles absorbing inspiration for my own.

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
              (***Editors Note: Pretty sure this was MY idea! ***)
              You are right! I almost forgot that conversation. The most logical plan was literally right in front of me but I couldn't see it :P Thanks for that wisdom ya e30 sage.

I also want to start spicing up the COTM and got another member to photograph his car.
              Josh/J.rizo definitely deserves a huge shout out for those photos. He spent nearly the whole day with me driving around LA, not to mention all the time choosing and editing the photos. Thanks again Josh!!

Originally posted by squidmaster View Post
              Very nice!
              Thanks!
              Originally posted by c0rbin9 View Post
              Love the rear spoiler... I'm surprised more people don't like them on normal E30s. How do you like the Recaro LS clones? I've heard they are wider than the real thing.

You sure you want to modify it beyond a capable street machine like it is now? E36s make better track cars IMO. E30 will never overcome its wheel fitment and rear suspension limitations. The truth is that E30s are a jack of all trades car. There is nothing - not driving involvement, not track capability, not straight line speed, not comfort - that they are the best at. They are still a great car, but one that is best enjoyed as an E30, not turned into something that it's not.
              Thanks! I wouldn't say that people don't like them as much as they're just quite rare. The seats are fantastic. I don't think they're wider, I'm not a big guy (140lbs 30/32 waist) and they are very snug on me.

Regarding your second question, sounds pretty close minded to me. Read:
              He hasnt followed any trend and has built and will always continue to build the car to suit his taste.
              The point of the car is to put a smile on my face (or anyone else's for that matter) and it is the best at that. I have never sat, rode in or driven any other car that makes me smile more than my e30 :) Besides, it's a lot more than just the car's performance that I enjoy. I love the community, planning new designs/parts/mods for it, learning new skills to apply on it, working on it, detailing it, showing it, cruising in it with music, racing it etc. If I decide I want to become competitive with the racing maybe I'll build a different chassis with that in mind from the beginning, or maybe I'll find a way to graft better suspension geometry into the e30 ;) but I am enjoying it for what it is right now.

Originally posted by whitebulat22 View Post
              I should've came by to see this in the daylight instead of night, looks great!
              You just have to make it out to an autox or track day sometime soon!
              Originally posted by CubbyChowder View Post
              Rad build all around, I've enjoyed reading through his thread and will admit this car is making me like Bronzit more and more :)
              Thanks man! That's my life's purpose now. To reverse the e30 bronzit stigma :D
              Originally posted by MouseRat View Post
              Interior looks mean. Love the seats!
              Thanks!!
              '89 325i OBD2 S52 BUILD THREAD
              Shadetree30

Comment

The only thing this car needs is a rieger front lip with a splitter. Beautiful car and a well deserved COTM
                My Garage
                2001 Z3 2.5i Steel Gray/Black (Lexi)
                1988 325ix Diamond Schwartz/Black (Izzy)
                1989 325i Cirrus Blue/Houndstooth (Stitch)
                Feedback

Instagram: Stone.Hopkins

Comment

Looks sharp.

A bronizt for COTM. :-)
                  ACS S3 Build / Dinan 5 E34

Comment

Originally posted by TimeMachinE30 View Post
                    A bronzit for COTM. :-)
                    I approve.

Great car and great pics!
                    Originally posted by kronus
                    would be in depending on tip slant and tube size

Comment

Originally posted by stonea View Post
                      The only thing this car needs is a rieger front lip with a splitter. Beautiful car and a well deserved COTM
                      Thanks man. I've been tossing around ideas for a different front lip/splitter combo but nothing I've seen has really caught my eye so far. I was considering alpina for a little while but I like the look of my valence now as is.
                      Originally posted by TimeMachinE30 View Post
                      Looks sharp.

A bronizt for COTM. :-)
                      #bronzit4life
                      Originally posted by agent View Post
                      I approve.

Great car and great pics!
                      Thanks man!
                      '89 325i OBD2 S52 BUILD THREAD
                      Shadetree30

Comment

nice choice for car of the month.
                        i like how the cooling system is routed to be cleaner
                        Much wow
                        I hate 4 doors

Comment

<3

Comment

Worthy of the title COTM!
                            http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=316212

BMWCCA #398608
                            IG @yagayo38

"The Best E30's were built with two camshafts four cylinders and sixteen valves!".

Comment

I love this build! The engine bay looks so good.
                              '90 325i - 5 speed coupe
                              '05 330ci 6MT ZHP

Comment

Working...
                              X