No announcement yet.

Ruby's Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bummer about the wheels, but at least you got your door cards!

Comment

I don't know how it happened, but the inside of my rear passenger side tire is fuuuuuuucked up. I haven't driven the car since last wednesday because of it, but new tires came in today! They're BFGoodrich G-Force Comp 2 tires. I'll be taking Ruby to my most trusted mechanic on Wednesday morning to have them installed. Should be fun!

Comment

Originally posted by kid8 View Post
        Bummer about the wheels, but at least you got your door cards!
        I actually went back and nabbed all 4 door cards as well as the tail lights (to sell). I got the driver door card all cleaned up, and it looks great!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Comment

I took my tires to get installed, and now I can drive my Ruby again!

Comment

Oil change day! Last change was at 217k, and I hit 220k the other day. Drain it, let new oil go through until it comes out the same color it went in, soak the filter, and fill 'er up!

Also, I washed her today. All clean! [emoji369][emoji108]

Comment

That oil weight seems very light to me Levy, especially for the Texas heat. I would consider running a heavier weight, it seems like 10w40 would be a more reasonable option at least from what I see on this thread:

Maybe others can chime in, I'm not as familiar with the M42.

Comment

Originally posted by zwill23 View Post
                That oil weight seems very light to me Levy, especially for the Texas heat. I would consider running a heavier weight, it seems like 10w40 would be a more reasonable option at least from what I see on this thread:

Maybe others can chime in, I'm not as familiar with the M42.
                You think it's worth switching out soon? The previous owner told me he always ran 5w20, so I thought it'd be good to stick with that since that's what the engine is used to. I see your point though, seeing as how the temperature outside isn't even worth checking.

Comment

Nice car man! I love the story about Dave finding you on the side of the road. It's crazy how things in life work out sometimes.

I would agree about the oil. Definitely run something thicker. There are a lot of different opinions on oil. I don't even know what BMW recommended back in the day...15w40 or 20w50? Not sure. Lately I've been running Rotella T6 5w40 or Castrol GTX High Mileage 10w40. Both are really cheap at Walmart.
                  '90 325i - 5 speed coupe
                  '05 330ci 6MT ZHP

Comment

Originally posted by Codym42 View Post
                    Nice car man! I love the story about Dave finding you on the side of the road. It's crazy how things in life work out sometimes.

I would agree about the oil. Definitely run something thicker. There are a lot of different opinions on oil. I don't even know what BMW recommended back in the day...15w40 or 20w50? Not sure. Lately I've been running Rotella T6 5w40 or Castrol GTX High Mileage 10w40. Both are really cheap at Walmart.
                    That's another reason I went with the 5w20 Dave recommended, there's so many conflicting opinions on oil that no matter what you choose, you're a dumbass to somebody lol. I'm glad you like the thread :) here's a sticker i just adorned her with, and based on your name, I think you'll appreciate it.

Comment

What are your rear alignment specs for toe and camber? I have a feeling it's going to eat your fresh tires pretty quick. If that wheel has tow-in (tire turned in towards centerline of vehicle), you are literally dragging the inside of your tire a certain percentage more per degree of toe per mile.
                      1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
                      1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by AWDBOB View Post
                        What are your rear alignment specs for toe and camber? I have a feeling it's going to eat your fresh tires pretty quick. If that wheel has tow-in (tire turned in towards centerline of vehicle), you are literally dragging the inside of your tire a certain percentage more per degree of toe per mile.
                        I need to get camber correction because the lower your suspension, the more negative camber with these cars, but the stock rear end can't be aligned. Is there a way to roughly check your rear end alignment?

Comment

Haha, cool sticker!
                          '90 325i - 5 speed coupe
                          '05 330ci 6MT ZHP

Comment

I got my intake manifold back from powder coating today, and put it on with the help of a few beers.

I had to take a hose with a jet spray attachment and blast the hell out of the inside with water to remove all the sand from sand blasting, but I got it squeaky clean inside that manifold!

Here's the new vs. old. Never mind the fact that the new is actually my old manifold from the blown engine, that's what we call "overthinking"

I had to label all the hoses as well as take pictures because I always get confused on where stuff goes and how it was originally attached. My lables were good enough that I didn't even need to look at the pics I took though [emoji106]

Got the upper intake manifold off thanks to the help of Mr. Guinness.

I didn't know it, but these are the fuel lines that go to the injectors....which have a pissload of fuel up there. After I took the hoses off, fuel started leaking out, and I realized I should have pulled the fuel pump fuse with the engine running in order to starve the engine of fuel and avoid this problem.

I took a peek at my valves, and they appear to be pretty clean for a 160k mile engine!

Aaaand here's it all back together (minus the throttle body and air intake stuff because I ran out of daylight for pics). I think it looks pretty darn good!

Comment

Manifold looks great levy! but i would definitely have to agree texas heat + old M42 = thicker oil. I would at least do 5W40 if not 10 or 15w40. way to thin for that busy little m42 head.but to each his own i agree every time oil is brought up opinions come from everywhere. Just my $0.02. different motor but i ran 20w50 in my m20 and never had problems. Cars looking beautiful though, glad to see it.
                              i love bmws

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

Originally posted by sonomabimmers View Post
                                Manifold looks great levy! but i would definitely have to agree texas heat + old M42 = thicker oil. I would at least do 5W40 if not 10 or 15w40. way to thin for that busy little m42 head.but to each his own i agree every time oil is brought up opinions come from everywhere. Just my $0.02. different motor but i ran 20w50 in my m20 and never had problems. Cars looking beautiful though, glad to see it.
                                I'll probably do another oil change to something thicker when I can afford it because I agree with you. I didn't even think about how it's about 20 degrees hotter than when I got Dave's engine.

I'm glad you like the manifold! I think it turned out great. Next up is to get the new door cards I got at the junk yard all cleaned up and installed [emoji108][emoji106]Particularly the driver's door card haha

Comment

Working...
                                X