E30 2.9L Stroker ITBs etc build...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by digger View Post
    much better result, heaps more torque. it would drive a whole lot better than the peak hp difference suggests

the dip at 3700rpm will be in part due to X-pipe location IMO
    The dip is because the base timing map I use on strokers pulls timing at ~60-100kpa/3500+RPM, just like the stock ECU. I then use the dyno to increase it until we find MBT. I wouldn't be surprised if there's another 15-20wtq still left on the table. We made 202wtq with a 2.8, 272 cam and lesser 9.4:1 comp. It's always safer IMO to be conservative on the street tunes, then ramp it up - specially when remote tuning.
    john@m20guru.com
    Links:
    Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

well from the engine specs i'd be expecting bigger numbers. id still expect to be pretty cammy kind of delivery almost a dip in the 3000rpm rnage with the exhaust setup. the Uk 3L with 288 had that with RHD itbs and its pretty common
      89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

You don't think there's enough compression for the cam to pull in lower RPM?
        john@m20guru.com
        Links:

Comment

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
          You don't think there's enough compression for the cam to pull in lower RPM?
          no compression is fine, the exhaust setup is prone to reversion sub 3500/4000rpm
          89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

Comment

Well, let's see what the optimized tune will bring.

Also, on the list of things down the road is to rebuild the section between headers and the diff. You can see on page 2 there are v-clamps, so I can pull that section and put another one in.

Any guidance on that reconfigure would be appreciated. The goal is to keep the cat, try to get the drone / noise down, and optimize x-pipe location. May be tough to achieve that but will try at some point.

Digger, how would you configure that section? I can push the rear v-clamps back to get more room, maybe squeeze resonators in there for example.

Comment

Actually you have plenty of room reading back. Cut the pipes at the cat, and v-band, and that section can be easily reworked.

Digger has done more analysis on the x-pipes, but I have had luck with them at the CSB with the eBay headers. Basically right up against your cat.
              john@m20guru.com
              Links:

Comment

Originally posted by mrlucretius View Post
                Well, let's see what the optimized tune will bring.

Also, on the list of things down the road is to rebuild the section between headers and the diff. You can see on page 2 there are v-clamps, so I can pull that section and put another one in.

Any guidance on that reconfigure would be appreciated. The goal is to keep the cat, try to get the drone / noise down, and optimize x-pipe location. May be tough to achieve that but will try at some point.

Digger, how would you configure that section? I can push the rear v-clamps back to get more room, maybe squeeze resonators in there for example.
                wait until the final tune is done and see how you like it. essentially it is moving the X-pipe further back to help bottom end. if you are happy with it after the final tune then just leave it. the spanner in the works is your headers as they have much longer primaries than most

Comment

Hi People, attempted a remote tune session, only got one iteration down until we realized my TPS signal was all screwed up. Some wiring issue it appears.

However, it is winter in Colorado, first tune is a baseline tune, second tune had some timing pushed up in the 3700 rpm region.

Report 215 peak hp at the wheels, 195 peak wheel torque... With more to come.

Sorry for the crappy image...

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_147586.png
Views:	544
Size:	162.4 KB
ID:	9898262
                  Last edited by mrlucretius; 01-12-2020, 02:58 PM.

Comment

good results, must perform alot better that the previously?

Comment

It feels pretty beastly. With the RHD ITBs and ForcedFirebird's base tune, the torque increased immensely. I will sort out the TPS issues then hopefully remote tune again in two weeks or so. Stay tuned!

Comment

Ok survived winter and TPS is sorted, drives much nicer with proper AE, need to get ForcedFirebird lined up for a final remote tune session!

Comment

Currently live tuning from Fort Lauderdale to Denver! This is such a cool jobber. :)

john@m20guru.com
                          Links:

Comment

Looking forward to seeing what she makes :)

Comment

Subbed.

I'm a year behind you with almost the same specs. Mine's a 10:1 compression 2.9L with a Schrick 272 and HD rockers and IE headers with custom exhaust. I currently have it running on a tuned Motronic 1.3 and stock intake well enough to drive it but's clearly not living up to it's potential. I bought the MSPNP for it and I'm hoping to figure out how to get it swapped out by the end of the summer, assuming the COVID doesn't cause the world to collapse. Scheduled for a baseline dyno run next week.

Comment

Hey @Delanoso,

I know we have been messaging regarding your 2.9L build, but I forgot to add: wideband O2 sensor is mandatory. Also a variable TPS should be mandatory.

Right now I am running a MAP only tune but will go to Alpha-N or blended at some point (ie, needing variable TPS); Rama @ RHD says this is very important to improve load resolution, which I believe as MAP signal goes from full vacuum (throttles closed) to atmosphere (throttles partially open) in maybe 1/3 of full throttle travel...

-Alex
                                Last edited by mrlucretius; 07-02-2020, 06:22 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X