X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2mAn
    replied
    Originally posted by betz View Post
    Dyno day is scheduled for Thursday the 15th.

I marked my calendar

I will share the news with my cousin though I doubt he will give a sh!t

Leave a comment:

• wworm
    replied
    Stoked.

Leave a comment:

• betz
    replied
    Dyno day is scheduled for Thursday the 15th.

Leave a comment:

• 2mAn
    replied
    issue is fixed! Looks like it was the exhaust vibrating a heat shield at higher rpms. Was kind of a useless heat shield so... Bye!

Oh man it's actually like, way noticeably different. Not afraid to rev the engine at all now. I feel like takumi after he installs the new tach for his engine lmao.

I'm gonna skip on down to the dyno now. Will update with appointment. :)
    yes!!!

Leave a comment:

• CharlieVu
    replied
    Wow! Read the first 5 pages and can’t wait to finish the other 19 tomo on my lunch. Most of the language n parts is gibberish to me right now but you’ve got me wanting to learn what all of this does for the block. Sorry about the 323 but know, it all happens for a reason!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• wworm
    replied
    :woowoo: hell yeah dude! sounds great!

Leave a comment:

• betz
    replied
    Originally posted by wworm View Post
    woohoo! take a sound clip on the way there :)
    Just for you :)

Leave a comment:

• wworm
    replied
    woohoo! take a sound clip on the way there :)

Leave a comment:

• betz
    replied
    Issue is fixed! Looks like it was the exhaust vibrating a heat shield at higher RPMs. Was kind of a useless heat shield so... bye!

Oh man it's actually like, way noticeably different. Not afraid to rev the engine at all now. I feel like Takumi after he installs the new tach for his engine lmao.

I'm gonna skip on down to the dyno now. Will update with appointment. :)

Leave a comment:

• betz
    replied
    Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
    updates? Tell me you have a dyno day scheduled
    I'm sorry.... not yet. I have just been driving the car and trying to iron out a few things that have been bothering me before I dyno it. There's this weird rubbing sound I hear that pops up when I give the car a lot of gas and revs. You only hear it when you're accelerating and it will stay there so long as the revs don't die all the way down. It happens more often when it's cold, and it will go away if I let the revs die down and bring them back up. I'm thinking some sort of belt, maybe driveline related, but I haven't been able to see anything visibly.

Since I've personally been afraid to rev it all the way to 6500 because of that, I wouldn't want them to do it on the dyno since my rev limiter is actually 7k. Once I figure it out though, I will be heading to mann engineering and putting it up on the dyno. I'm taking my car to motorspeed west wednesday and we're going to put it up on a lift and look everything over to try and figure it out.

Leave a comment:

• 2mAn
    replied
    updates? Tell me you have a dyno day scheduled

Leave a comment:

• AWDBOB
    replied
    That's the key right there. That's the reason why most WRX's seem like they have been through a couple motor rebuilds haha. If I do any mods it'll probably be suspension related.

To be honest I didn't even know they made an outback XT. I knew about the Forester, mostly because of this badass ad:

Looking more into it, I got my eyes on the Legacy GT wagon, but was really disappointed to find they only made it with a manual for 2005. I liked the Legacy over the Forester because it's actually somewhat of a luxury car. Yes.. Subaru, luxury car. It's actually legitimately nice on the inside. The outback is the same car but lifted, so it makes sense they made the XT version, but I was surprised that they came with a manual until '09 I believe.
    They didn't make too many manuals at all in either Outback or Forester XT, and for the price you paid, you'll be able to drive it for 5yrs and sell it for more than you bought it for when you're ready to move on.

The only mod I'd recommend are rear subframe lockdown bushings. They're only $30 and they really help the rear stay planted- solidifies the driving experience. Make sure to run a tap through the threads first though. Also, I don't know if it's your first Subaru or not but:

1) When you replace the timing belt/tensioner/idlers/water pump ONLY use OEM Subaru parts for the tensioner/water pump/idlers. I just had Gates parts fail on me after 40K and almost caused the timing belt to break.

2) On these motors make sure the filter is removed from the bajno bolts on both the AVCS and turbo feed. These filters clog and cause major issues. See this thread.

I wanted the forester for the utility function since it hauls my mountain bikes and bimmer engines (and pulls an enclosed trailer quite nicely). I don't treat nice interiors very well haha.

Leave a comment:

• betz
    replied
    Originally posted by AWDBOB View Post
    That's a great buy! I drive an '07 5sp Forester Sports XT. They're great cars for a daily as long as you don't start modding them.
    That's the key right there. That's the reason why most WRX's seem like they have been through a couple motor rebuilds haha. If I do any mods it'll probably be suspension related.

To be honest I didn't even know they made an outback XT. I knew about the Forester, mostly because of this badass ad:

Looking more into it, I got my eyes on the Legacy GT wagon, but was really disappointed to find they only made it with a manual for 2005. I liked the Legacy over the Forester because it's actually somewhat of a luxury car. Yes.. Subaru, luxury car. It's actually legitimately nice on the inside. The outback is the same car but lifted, so it makes sense they made the XT version, but I was surprised that they came with a manual until '09 I believe.

The thing hauls ass and makes cool turbo noises so I'll say I'm pretty satisfied. Here it is- the car for the grandma who vapes.

Leave a comment:

• AWDBOB
    replied
    In other news... I know, I know. I got another car. lol. I really wanted a car for Tahoe trips and camping and whatnot and it was just too good of a deal to pass up. 2006 Subaru Outback XT with a manual transmission. Guy was selling it for his friend who moved out the state, I don't think he knew it was the motor from the STi or even that it had a turbo in the first place. Which is why I was able to snag it for only $4700.

The place I took it for a PPI, Mann Engineering, also has a 4 wheel dyno and a very impressive facility. Turns out I can do some dyno pulls for only $120, so it looks like I found the place to dyno my car!

I promise I'm not gonna turn into a Subaru guy though lmao. But I will say that 0-60 in 5.5 seconds in a lifted family car is pretty entertaining.
    That's a great buy! I drive an '07 5sp Forester Sports XT. They're great cars for a daily as long as you don't start modding them.

Leave a comment:

• betz
    replied
    Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
    Updates?
    I swapped the pump and it's exactly the same. I'm feeling now that it has something to do with my bigger injectors / more fuel demand etc. I got the bavauto adjustable fuel pressure regulator just to be able to play with it. Hasn't arrived yet. I also got a WB O2 sensor but I haven't found the time to install it yet.

Really though, the car is running better than ever now. I got a new tune for my injectors / M30 AFM and it made a pretty big difference. The pinging issue is now much more sparse. Almost gone completely.

I'm planning on driving it to work most the time this week just to finally enjoy it a bit. Also to find any potential issues, haha.

In other news... I know, I know. I got another car. lol. I really wanted a car for Tahoe trips and camping and whatnot and it was just too good of a deal to pass up. 2006 Subaru Outback XT with a manual transmission. Guy was selling it for his friend who moved out the state, I don't think he knew it was the motor from the STi or even that it had a turbo in the first place. Which is why I was able to snag it for only $4700.

The place I took it for a PPI, Mann Engineering, also has a 4 wheel dyno and a very impressive facility. Turns out I can do some dyno pulls for only $120, so it looks like I found the place to dyno my car!

I promise I'm not gonna turn into a Subaru guy though lmao. But I will say that 0-60 in 5.5 seconds in a lifted family car is pretty entertaining.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X