Euro 316i and unknown BMW history!

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 2mAn
    replied
    Originally posted by pipeuy
    Haha I might, I really want to buy an entire euro cluster though.

    Still coming to Montevideo?

    Thanks! Going to look better once the Recaros are installed.
    Yup, be there from 2/27 - 3/1 ... another R3V member will also be there with me.

    Leave a comment:


  • pipeuy
    replied
    Originally posted by 2mAn
    Buy a tach, have it shipped to me and I will deliver it for you haha
    Haha I might, I really want to buy an entire euro cluster though.

    Still coming to Montevideo?

    Originally posted by Andrew325is
    Those wheels look great.
    Thanks, they turned out really good. When I bought them they were in similar shape as yours.

    Originally posted by 2mAn
    also true
    Thanks! Going to look better once the Recaros are installed.

    Leave a comment:


  • 2mAn
    replied
    Originally posted by Andrew325is
    That steering wheel look great.
    also true

    Leave a comment:


  • Andrew325is
    replied
    Those wheels look great.

    Leave a comment:


  • 2mAn
    replied
    Buy a tach, have it shipped to me and I will deliver it for you haha

    Leave a comment:


  • pipeuy
    replied
    Finally some good progress.

    Got the wheels back from the body shop. They were painted in Bmw 144 (Felgensilber).





    Then they were mounted with Toyo Tm1 (there weren’t too many options in 205/55/15)



    Swapped steering wheels with the Italvolanti, driving position was much improved with the steering wheel being closer to the seat.



    A friend, Gonza, helped me adjust both doors and bumpers.



    And finally Gonza polished the entire car and we applied AMMO Reflex to give it some protection and improve the overall finish.







    Leave a comment:


  • notanawdix80
    replied
    Muy buen proyecto Pipe!

    Leave a comment:


  • pipeuy
    replied
    Finally the headliner is complete and the OEM carpet was cleaned as thoroughly as possible. Should be able to reassemble it in a couple of weeks since I'm in a little vacation.







    Leave a comment:


  • parkerbink
    replied
    Great work & story. Thanks.

    Leave a comment:


  • pipeuy
    replied
    Following the complete paint job I had to restore some of the black plastics. Once I found a DIY here on R3V so I used that method.



    Before.













    And after. (Side moldings also were restored, which turned out really nice, but not pictured)














    Next something had to be done with the fog lights, they are OEM so I tried to keep them instead of buying new ones.
    A few months ago I bought a set of new glasses (not OEM of course) but the had a pretty good fit and finish so I went ahead and swapped them.



    After. (Not quite the same grey paint but it shouldn’t be noticeable once they’re installed in the car)



    And a side to side.




    Finally the car is out of the bodyshop and currently is at the upholstery shop getting a new black headliner.
    Some pictures of the completed sunroof tray swap.









    Lastly, the car, for the first time in 7 months, out the body shop. It needs a final polish and probably re-aligning the doors and trunk but I’m really happy with how it turned out.



    Leave a comment:


  • pipeuy
    replied
    Originally posted by 2mAn
    Very Cool! Never knew about the assembly process either, interesting!..

    Im travelling to Uruguay in February/ March, not sure how much free time I will have but we will be in Montevideo. Doing some Business School trip thing
    Thanks! Let me know when you're coming and we can meet and perhaps have some Uruguayan asado (similar to a barbecue but MUCH BETTER). Hopefully the E30 will be done by that time and we'll be probably working on manual swapping the E34.
    Last edited by pipeuy; 11-17-2018, 05:20 AM. Reason: ASADO

    Leave a comment:


  • 2mAn
    replied
    Very Cool! Never knew about the assembly process either, interesting!..

    Im travelling to Uruguay in February/ March, not sure how much free time I will have but we will be in Montevideo. Doing some Business School trip thing

    Leave a comment:


  • pipeuy
    replied
    A few weeks ago it was time to test the sunroof and to my surprise, after getting a new used sunroof panel, the sunroof panel was rubbing against the roof skin. After assembling it a couple of times it was clear that the sunroof tray or cassette was repaired badly by a previous owner and it was sloping upwards in the final part.




    (A window was made to investigate possible solutions)

    Together with the bodyshop some ideas were tossed around:
    Fixing the original sunroof tray (risk of not working out or having rust issued down the line)
    Swapping the roof skin for a slick top one (couldn’t find one and they’re NLA)
    Swapping in a new sunroof tray (NLA)

    And finally, getting a good used roof and removing the good tray to be swapped to my car.





    The E30 without the sunroof tray.





    Sunroof tray removed from the donor roof.



    Now in the car.



    And finally, testing the sunroof.



    Luckily the bodyshop did a fantastic job and everything lines up and works perfectly. There're still a couple things left to do with the roof but they're mostly cosmetic.

    Next step is getting some of the panels repainted and hopefully done in a couple of weeks.

    Leave a comment:


  • pipeuy
    replied
    Originally posted by rturbo 930
    Looks like a good car to start with. FYI, your English is actually quite good. Wouldn't have guessed you aren't a native speaker.
    Thanks!

    Originally posted by jpod999
    Interesting story, I wouldn't have guessed they were being disassembled prior to delivery anywhere in the world.
    They weren't disassembled prior to delivery, they were assembled here in Uruguay for the first time. Many parts were manufactured here (glass, upholstery, floor carpet, etc). It's quite crazy once you think about it, a big car manufacturer allowing a random guy in Uruguay to build their cars. Bmw used to send their quality control guys regularly to make sure they were up to standards but of course there were key differences.

    Leave a comment:


  • jpod999
    replied
    Interesting story, I wouldn't have guessed they were being disassembled prior to delivery anywhere in the world.

    Leave a comment:

Working...