No announcement yet.

Dmanb2b's Alpine 318is - S52 is ALIVE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks like the e38 wheels are going to work...little camber and slight roll of fenders
    1991 318is
    2004 330ci
    2011 335d

Comment

Radiator test fit and motor wiring coming together nicely.

1991 318is
      2004 330ci
      2011 335d

Comment

Dirty 30...waiting on some parts. Detailing her is going to be fun!!!
        1991 318is
        2004 330ci
        2011 335d

Comment

Can some one say 1st start?...Many thanks to the crew at Highline Motorsports in Burnt Hills, NY. Still have to finish cooling system plumbing, catch can, custom mount for overflow reservoir, custom exhaust, seats, steering wheel and a few other personal touches...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzFW...ature=youtu.be
          1991 318is
          2004 330ci
          2011 335d

Comment

Originally posted by dmanb2b View Post
            Can some one say 1st start?...
            Thats such a great feeling. The 1st start usually takes half a dozen attempts haha

Im not sure if its a myth or not, but Id rotate the MAF so that the connector is at the 2o'clock position VS high noon...

This is the fun part where its so close, but still so many little things to do. You're going to LOVE the S52
            Simon
            Current Cars:
            -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
              Im not sure if its a myth or not, but Id rotate the MAF so that the connector is at the 2o'clock position VS high noon...

This is the fun part where its so close, but still so many little things to do. You're going to LOVE the S52
              Thanks sir, especially the advice around MAF orientation. Wasn't aware of that one....the intake set-up is temporary so duly noted!

I thought long and hard about keeping the m42, but I LOVE power and the m42 drivetrain was going to need a full refresh, so here we are. We have a few bugs to work out, but super pumped. Should be a clean, yet gritty driver when done.
              1991 318is
              2004 330ci
              2011 335d

Comment

Cooling system plumbing is complete including custom mount for 325i overflow reservoir....also routed line for catch can...exhaust next

Bake the enamel in shop toaster

url=https://imgur.com/cpYKUgY][/url]

Catch can

Trying to decide how far tip will stick out
                1991 318is
                2004 330ci
                2011 335d

Comment

Nice work! I like that you're using the coil pack bracket for the catch can.

Comment

• dmanb2b
                    dmanb2b commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thanks Mike! Trying to re-use as much of the original set-up as possible as this was never planned to be a shaved bay type build.

Well, sometimes you take a few steps back to take a few steps forward. While the first start was a success...we noticed despite the S52 seller telling me the engine ran fine...clearly she must have been smoking and was abused. We replaced the valve stem seals, which were crusty and while that helped, she still smoked...grr...lesson learned...if the motor is apart, replace everything. We had opted to re-use the old rings on original re-build as the cylinder walls had shown no scoring or abnormal wear...big mistake.

We made the difficult decision to pull the motor again and re-build for the 2nd time. Checked cylinders again and re-ringed her.

Last edited by dmanb2b; 10-18-2019, 07:40 AM.
                  1991 318is
                  2004 330ci
                  2011 335d

Comment

are you concerned about the coolant reservoir giving you inaccurate "low coolant" warning with it tilted like that?

Comment

• dmanb2b
                      dmanb2b commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I'm not following...maybe angle of picture? Antifreeze is fairly level, but if it's something I should address, lmk. We still have a bunch of things to fine tune

Motor is back in the car, cooling system, brakes and clutch bled and best part, no smoke...nothing. The engine is buttery smooth with new rings in place. Harness cleaned up and time to start working on the custom exhaust. I originally planned to have custom flanges made for the raceland headers (odd 2.375" size), but gave up and opted to go vband route. I think it's going to turn out nice and clean. Still have to get shift linkage, dssr and seats installed...then onto alignment and road testing.....

1991 318is
                    2004 330ci
                    2011 335d

Comment

very nice! Are you using MIG to weld or TIG?
                      1990 325is
                      m52b28
                      3.73lsd
                      g260 (1987 325is 5spd tranny)

Comment

Originally posted by TeXJ View Post
                        very nice! Are you using MIG to weld or TIG?
                        Thank you! Tig
                        1991 318is
                        2004 330ci
                        2011 335d

Comment

Making progress on the exhaust....

1991 318is
                          2004 330ci
                          2011 335d

Comment

Nice job on the exhaust. Looks like it's put together well with all the right components (to include flex pipes) and has a sectioned design for easier servicing. What's left after this? When's the burnout video coming? :)
                            Last edited by mike.bmw; 10-21-2019, 08:24 AM.

Comment

Working...
                            X