Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2mAn
    replied
    I went to the Dockweiler gtg... almost forgot to take a pic of my own car.

Leave a comment:

• 2mAn
    replied
    Originally posted by s14brent View Post

I miss having this problem LOL
    haha I really need to get to work installing some of those parts... The 2.8L M20 engine build is the one that will take a while, but I have some smaller items that I will try to get cracking on.

Leave a comment:

• s14brent
    replied
    Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
    Ive collected enough parts lately and need to start installing some parts.
    I miss having this problem LOL

Leave a comment:

• Mike36
    replied

Hopefully I will have a prepped subframe soon. Ive collected enough parts lately and need to start installing some parts.
    Let me know when you do your subframe so I can go help and learn how to do my own. I'm slowly collecting rear subframe parts too.

Leave a comment:

• 2mAn
    replied
    While perusing Jordan's amazing 318 resto thread I noticed he mentioned that he had some 3M Window Weld leftover and it reminded me of when I made my own "solid rubber" rear subframe mounts. Reached out to him and he got me some brand new OEM BMW Subframe Mounts and he filled them for me. Probably could've gotten cheaper subframe mounts, but the feeling on my old Zinno ES was truly amazing, so I cant wait to install these.

Hopefully I will have a prepped subframe soon. Ive collected enough parts lately and need to start installing some parts.

Leave a comment:

• 2mAn
    replied
    Some more maintenance... the fan clutch was a bit suspect since I got the car and recently it was pretty obvious it was time ... sooo....

Old on out, new one ready to swap out.

Cleaned up the fan, installed the new fan clutch. Ready to go back in.

And the squeeze to get it back in...

Good to go for another 30+ years...

Leave a comment:

• glnr13
    replied
    sounds like fun times!

Leave a comment:

• 2mAn
    replied
    Just a record for my notes. Oil change done today with 110,xxx miles.

I also rotated the tires.

other than that, I drove a small part of Mulholland bumping Too $hort with 2 friends in the car. It was shockingly fun haha

I cant wait until I have 1 more gear, 1 more pedal and 0.1L more displacement

Leave a comment:

• betz
    replied
    I hear what you're saying, but my main issue will be the tuning. and someone who tried a lot of different combinations found that to be the best result AND passed smog makes me think the $20 for the M30 AFM is worth it, just to have.

I want something that will pass smog, and the off-the-shelf tunes were a nightmare on the M52 and the suggestion of my local shop was to use the WAR chip combined with them dyno tune it, of course all of R3V suggested otherwise against the Miller stuff. At the end of the day smog is the ruler here and Im thinking I might need it.
    To be clear, at the point I got the M30 AFM, it was mostly because it was a bavrest refurbished AFM and I really just wanted something that worked. The fact that the injectors, AFM, FPR, and the motor worked pretty well together... sheer luck. First time around when I passed, I was on a different tune than stock. Second time I wasn't, but I also had my wideband installed.

If you can get a hold of a cheap one, sure, but I agree that just decreasing fuel pressure would be a more direct way to lean out. Or just don't use quite as large as injectors as I did.

I think the biggest help I had with the stock ECU, was the wideband O2 sensor. Absolutely worth it. I don't think I would have passed smog without it the second time around. I was rolling the dice trying it for the first time. For purposes of smog, it will trim your AFRs to be nearly perfect even with the stock ECU. Of course, ideally it would be perfect without needing the O2 trim. To do that you need a megasquirt, lol.

With my 2.8 build, if I were to do it again, I would..
    -First just get the motor started! Try to use components that are known and working.
    -Wideband O2. Innovate LC-2. I had mine set up so analog out 1 was sending narrowband signals to the ECU and analog out 2 was sending signals to a gauge I kept in the glovebox. I would recommend both. PM me if you need help setting that up. It was sweet using the stock plug for the wiring. Makes it easy if you ever need to go back.
    -Then, you can play with injectors, FPRs, AFMs or whatever. Once you find whatever works for you, and sure you can use my build as a guide, but really just, whatever gets you a good AFR. Also find out if your county requires NOx. Cus I would have passed right away if it weren't for that. Sort of glad I didn't though, so I could get my motor right, but it definitely made things difficult.
    -Then save your quarters for a megasquirt lol

Leave a comment:

• luckybk
    replied

close... It IS an M10 motor and there are Alpina parts on there

BTW Hows your search coming? Throwing in the towel or no?
    My search has been limited by my the means of my lifestyle but I am meeting to speak today about a potential new work situation, so knock wood!

Leave a comment:

• 2mAn
    replied
    Originally posted by luckybk View Post
    m15 with alpina side draft carbs?
    close... It IS an M10 motor and there are Alpina parts on there

BTW Hows your search coming? Throwing in the towel or no?

Leave a comment:

• luckybk
    replied
    m15 with alpina side draft carbs?

Leave a comment:

• 2mAn
    replied
    Originally posted by Reichart12 View Post
    Do you expect a 2.8 to be a problem with smog? It should look identical and even if you go with Megasquirt its only a couple extra sensor wires.
    If it runs properly the car should pass just fine.

Leave a comment:

• Reichart12
    replied
    Do you expect a 2.8 to be a problem with smog? It should look identical and even if you go with Megasquirt its only a couple extra sensor wires.

Leave a comment:

• 2mAn
    replied
    Mini update from the last week. SoCal vintage happened, and it was awesome (as usual) I made sure to take a pic of my own car, and as usual it’s a bad pic

Fast forward to this weekend and took a mini staycation trip to Ventura and we took PCH.. such a nice drive. The ETA struggled a little up the steeper inclines which combined with the sexy BMWs at the SoCal Vintage show has me motivated to get building.

Basically have the whole 5-speed swap ready. Picked up my lightened flywheel last week too. I was planning on doing a before and after weight like before but it already has 14# after written on it. I think it’s just about time to start building the 2.8 M20. And I’ll leave you with one engine pic from the show. Internet hugs, likes and freedom bucks to those who can name all the badass stuff on it

Last edited by 2mAn; 11-20-2019, 02:24 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X