Mission to the Cosmos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
    I hear what you're saying, but my main issue will be the tuning. and someone who tried a lot of different combinations found that to be the best result AND passed smog makes me think the $20 for the M30 AFM is worth it, just to have.

I want something that will pass smog, and the off-the-shelf tunes were a nightmare on the M52 and the suggestion of my local shop was to use the WAR chip combined with them dyno tune it, of course all of R3V suggested otherwise against the Miller stuff. At the end of the day smog is the ruler here and Im thinking I might need it.
    To be clear, at the point I got the M30 AFM, it was mostly because it was a bavrest refurbished AFM and I really just wanted something that worked. The fact that the injectors, AFM, FPR, and the motor worked pretty well together... sheer luck. First time around when I passed, I was on a different tune than stock. Second time I wasn't, but I also had my wideband installed.

If you can get a hold of a cheap one, sure, but I agree that just decreasing fuel pressure would be a more direct way to lean out. Or just don't use quite as large as injectors as I did.

I think the biggest help I had with the stock ECU, was the wideband O2 sensor. Absolutely worth it. I don't think I would have passed smog without it the second time around. I was rolling the dice trying it for the first time. For purposes of smog, it will trim your AFRs to be nearly perfect even with the stock ECU. Of course, ideally it would be perfect without needing the O2 trim. To do that you need a megasquirt, lol.

With my 2.8 build, if I were to do it again, I would..
    -First just get the motor started! Try to use components that are known and working.
    -Wideband O2. Innovate LC-2. I had mine set up so analog out 1 was sending narrowband signals to the ECU and analog out 2 was sending signals to a gauge I kept in the glovebox. I would recommend both. PM me if you need help setting that up. It was sweet using the stock plug for the wiring. Makes it easy if you ever need to go back.
    -Then, you can play with injectors, FPRs, AFMs or whatever. Once you find whatever works for you, and sure you can use my build as a guide, but really just, whatever gets you a good AFR. Also find out if your county requires NOx. Cus I would have passed right away if it weren't for that. Sort of glad I didn't though, so I could get my motor right, but it definitely made things difficult.
    -Then save your quarters for a megasquirt lol
    '86 Burgundrot 325 2.8 stroker.

Build thread

Other cars:
    2000 Porsche Boxster
    2006 Subaru Outback XT 5MT
    1972 Porsche 914

Comment

Just a record for my notes. Oil change done today with 110,xxx miles.

I also rotated the tires.

other than that, I drove a small part of Mulholland bumping Too $hort with 2 friends in the car. It was shockingly fun haha

I cant wait until I have 1 more gear, 1 more pedal and 0.1L more displacement
      Simon
      Current Cars:
      -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

sounds like fun times!
        sigpic

Comment

Some more maintenance... the fan clutch was a bit suspect since I got the car and recently it was pretty obvious it was time ... sooo....

Old on out, new one ready to swap out.

Cleaned up the fan, installed the new fan clutch. Ready to go back in.

And the squeeze to get it back in...

Good to go for another 30+ years...
          Simon
          Current Cars:

Comment

While perusing Jordan's amazing 318 resto thread I noticed he mentioned that he had some 3M Window Weld leftover and it reminded me of when I made my own "solid rubber" rear subframe mounts. Reached out to him and he got me some brand new OEM BMW Subframe Mounts and he filled them for me. Probably could've gotten cheaper subframe mounts, but the feeling on my old Zinno ES was truly amazing, so I cant wait to install these.

Hopefully I will have a prepped subframe soon. Ive collected enough parts lately and need to start installing some parts.
            Simon
            Current Cars:

Comment

Hopefully I will have a prepped subframe soon. Ive collected enough parts lately and need to start installing some parts.
              Let me know when you do your subframe so I can go help and learn how to do my own. I'm slowly collecting rear subframe parts too.

sigpic

Comment

Ive collected enough parts lately and need to start installing some parts.
                I miss having this problem LOL
                89 325i 4dr s52
                02 BMW 525iT m54b30/manual swapped (daily) *sold*
                21' Toyota Tacoma TRD OR 4x4 6 speed Manual

Comment

Originally posted by s14brent View Post

I miss having this problem LOL
                  haha I really need to get to work installing some of those parts... The 2.8L M20 engine build is the one that will take a while, but I have some smaller items that I will try to get cracking on.
                  Simon
                  Current Cars:

Comment

I went to the Dockweiler gtg... almost forgot to take a pic of my own car.

Simon
                    Current Cars:

Comment

Finally going to tackle one more piece that I knew needed love, but I cant do things the easy way...

easy as 1...1...2...2...3...3...

Basically, I knew the rear subframe bushings were toast. I previously showed you the solid rubber subframe bushings that were ready to go. Not being content with JUST doing that, I got my hands on a set of camber correcting trailing arm mounts, and got my hands on a spare subframe courtesy of Max. Delivered all the parts to Byron who will weld in the goodies, but not before I add one more piece to puzzle in the form of the reinforcements for the diff mount. Should be a nice and solid rear subframe when Im all done. The adjusters will allow me to go just a little bit lower, because you can never have enough low...

Hopefully in the next month-ish I can have this ready to go along with another fun update in the form of a +1 pedal, +1 liters of displacement and a +1 gear.

Theres one other little surprise that hopefully will also be ready in March.
                      Simon
                      Current Cars:

Comment

what style of camber adjustment are you going for?

Comment

Well... this happened last night. Cars gone, along with the SSRs, the 5-speed swap, the engine build, etc Im excited for young Jake who gets an automatic ETA for his first car and is excited to build up the motor and finish up the project. The car isnt too far away from me in San Clemente and the family looks to be very excited and happy with their purchase. So Im happy

Simon
                          Current Cars:

Comment

Well... this happened last night. Cars gone
                            So who won "how fast will he sell this one?" pool?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mike36 View Post

So who won "how fast will he sell this one?" pool?
                              Mine go annually, not monthly! hahah
                              Simon
                              Current Cars:

Comment

Congrats on the sale! What's next? :)

Comment

Working...
                                X