No announcement yet.

A well travelled e30 - Cali to London. 84 coupe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are those the front subframe bolt locations? So when you removed the front subframe, the passenger side front bolt was not present (or just fell out)?

I think you are looking at a reasonably easy repair on the drivers side, hammering the metal back into place and welding the cracks. The passenger side will be more interesting. I think you are stuck cutting out the area and then welding a nut to a plate and welding that plate to the chassis (or buying a section of good frame rail). That will require some careful measuring to ensure the subframe still bolts up square - the subframe itself should have two alignment dowels on the topside of the rear-most mounting holes that align the subframe to the chassis rails.

Good news is that your rotisserie allows for easy access to mock up the repair, bolt up the subframe to measure/check fit, etc.

So I lean towards its condition B) rather than A)

Comment

You're only fucked if you cant fix it and nobody else will.

Its metal though and you should be able to make new plates with nuts and graft them in.

Usually if you dive in the deep end first, the rest of the water will be ok.

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
      @Zakspeed_US

Comment

Definitely fixable! Just take your time with it and move forward in small bits.... you'll get there. Regarding the front framerail, moatilliatta is spot on. Some new plates with nuts attached will go a long way to fixing it, a donor framerail section also isn't a bad idea.
        IMG_0145 by Jonathan Martin, on Flickr

Comment

Well shall we update this then?

its been a while and i sort of forgot about this. don't get too excited, not a lot has happened. Mainly just a lot of faffing about. but lets update

I drove my e30 from California to London!

Comment

So i have been slowly chipping away at little bits as and when i can.

I have ordered the sheet metal to do the patches that have rusted which has now arrived so i can start on that soon.

once those patches are done i can undercoat/paint the bottom of the car. and then from there on out its all positive progress.

I have also made a start on the subframe and items that i plan to use the POR15 on

so degreased and metal prepped

Untitled by ben walsh, on Flickr

and then started painting.

One coat, Two coats, sanded down some imperfections and i still need to do a final coat.

My dog is putting a lot of trust in that rotisserie sitting there. i was also really nervous about her choosing that spot to lay.

I have a big pile of items that need to be painted so its going to take some time.

not everything is going silver, i have black too.​
            Last edited by benwalsh91; 12-01-2023, 05:20 AM.

Comment

Yep, its still there. i hadn't taken that many photos of which i apologies for, i just wanted to get started. so this is how the old girl currently sits.

still got a couple of areas to paint but i am over the moon with how this has come out.

do i keep it black? or do i paint white over the schultz?

Comment

Managed to find some garage time over the weekend before i got hit by an illness bug which took me off my feet for almost 3 days!!

Please remember i am no professional, had no training so please don't be too mean on me about the work that you are about to whitness.

remember this rusty gash​

turned it into a nice hole

Then i stuck a new piece of metal in with the adult glue gun.

still need to go back, grind them down flat, primer, seam seal and undercoat. will also primer and seal the inside too.

Also attacked these areas:​

obviously not finished i need to trim some metal back, grind it back flat, seal, prime and undercoat.

BUT WE ARE MOVING IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION.

once ive finalised what ive shown above i am going to move onto the last rusty area which is the battery box, its really not bad and wont take too much to sort out.​

thats all for now folks.

Comment

ive been having too much fun in the new beater to be in the garage, plus no cooling in the garage so its just so disgusting to work in there at the moment in this heat. But i will try and get some more progress done soon!!

wanting to get this welding / underside restoration completely tied up now as i want to move onto the more fun stuff of bringing my vision of this car to the real world rather than just in my head.

Pictures of the car that's been taking up all my garage time lately without any regrets,

Can also confirm, very practical and child friendly, not sure if i mentioned but we have a child now, little boy called Loxley, he is 2 in a couple weeks and is already calling the e30 "bubbas car". probably wont even be finished by the time he is old enough to drive.

Untitled by ben walsh, on Flickr​

Comment

Cool that you're still going on the car. Don't give up!
                    Byron
                    Leichtbau

Comment

Originally posted by E30SPDFRK View Post
                      Cool that you're still going on the car. Don't give up!
                      Thanks man. Still got about a years worth of updating to do.

much time spent. Not a lot to show for it.

Comment

Although the Alfa was a fantastic car i felt it just lacked something, it was almost a bit bland and idk was too easy, didn't tick all the boxes i thought it would.

So i have since sold the car and bought a car i had lusted over for many years.

I've wanted an e92 m3 for a very long time and i needed to experience that V8 M power before prices of them got too ridiculous.

I had a short want list

White, black or grey
                        LCI
                        DCT
                        Comp Pack
                        Rod bearings and throttle actuators done

So i managed to grab this e92 m3 factory competition pack.
                        Has all the work done you would want including stage 2 remap to 450bhp with the rev limit increased to 8.6 and GTS flash on the DCT box.​

After the Alfa making me feel a little disappointed i was unsure if i wanted to meet one of my car heroes. and all i have to say is, this is the best car I've ever driven. The noise, the way it feels just everything about it (other than the average MPG of 18).

This car truly is fantastic and here to stay for the long haul. However, i may need to rethink about the plan of daily driving it!​

Comment

i actually done some work to the e30, i am unsure if i mentioned it previously but i will hold my hands up, i messed up. i didn't do a good enough job when i prepped the car before i put the new undercoat on.

the undercoat was not sticking almost like it was oily, the undercoat was 2 years out of date so i think it was a mixture of bad paint and bad prep on my behalf.

either way i have started to strip the bottom of the car back down to bare metal, i am trying to do a little bit of time after work atleast once or twice a week just to get a little bit done now and then.

i will update with some photos later on with a bit more progress, most the time this week was made up of clearing space in the garage to work on the old girl.

So first thing first is to get it looking presentable and a workable space

The M3 needed a bit of love so the entire front end the panels needing re-aligned and a new carbon splitter and a good clean up.

And then i went on a trip with the boys and took the M3 out to the Nürburgring. what an experience!!!

Now, lets get back in the garage and attack the e30.

First point of call, lets get it back on the rotisserie.​

Comment

The main task was to get the e30 on the rotisserie but i wanted it to be in just the one bay rather than before where it was diagonal across the entire garage. So i had to move a ton of stuff about to make it fit as it was important i could have the e30 on the rotisserie and still be able to fit the m3 in the garage next to it.

success, now lets see if it will roll over and not fall on its roof.

Perfect. and finally lets get the m3 in the garage with it.

i absolutely love this view, i keep going out and seeing them next to one another in the garage, my dream 2 car garage, just need to get the e30 to resemble a car again.

Now, the painful task, just been grinding away with a wire wheel on an angle grinder.

its slow, its painful, you get covered in everything. but its getting there and i feel the best way now is to take it all the way back and start from scratch,​

Sit down, try not to cry.

I wanted to try another method so i got some paint stripper, to see if that helped.

Nah, doesnt really work as well so back to the angry spinny wheel

Need to figure out a solution to pull all these out of the side skirt of the car, clearly someone in the past doesn't understand what a jacking point is.

Found some big dents and some holes that need to be addressed.

Stand back and see how over your head and out of your depths you have gotten yourself into.

Comment

Which pretty much brings me up to date!!

as previously mentioned, lots of hours spent but not a lot to show for it.

pull the m3 out and grind away some more.

I have not been able to touch the car for about 6 weeks now but when i get some free time i want to get the last of it off so i am over this chapter!! then we can start straightening out the dents, welding up the holes and get some paint on the car!

Comment

Working...
                              X