No announcement yet.

A well travelled e30 - Cali to London. 84 coupe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you, i cant believe that the car is actually here. it almost seems unreal.

i spent saturday cleaning the car and tidying bits up and making a list, a very long list of whats needed.

also took the window tint off, i really dislike tint on older cars and much prefer the fish bowl look. this was such a pain in the arse!!!

Untitled by Ben Walsh, on Flickr

and there she sits, the black trim around the door really really bugs me. will need to get that addressed.

parked up where it is going to sit for a while whilst i work on it and also wait for it to get registered so i can actually drive it on the UK roads.

I have had so many people stop and talk to me about this car when i was out front working on it, its such a conversation starter and everyone is so so interested in our story of our adventure. i love how something like a car can get so many conversations started with complete strangers. i also keep seeing people stop and look at it.

perfect view from the living room

I drove my e30 from California to London!

Comment

hi, yeah alpine 1 is the colour code,, yes being a early one ! , that door trim would have been chrome,

good luck with it, looks a nice one,

Comment

not really too much to report with this one, i still have the car and its still sitting in the same place.

Me and my wife are currently looking to purchase our own home so all of our money is going on that currently (its much harder over here than it is there)

I need to fit UK lights onto the car to make it compliant for me to register the car here so i have sourced a set of euro smileys but i am going to split them down and order all new plastics and hardware to make them new again and also look into my options for updating the bulbs/lighting.

and whilst i am there i may as well fit euro grills.

and it has basically just sat under its cover whilst i am doing my research on what parts to get next to start he big refresh once we are settled into our house and i have somewhere to work on it.

got these though for my little e30 fix.

My odo gears are not working due to the usual problem so i took my speedo out to start getting it to the correct millage and also see what gears i needed, left it on the side and came back in to it fallen on the floor and snapped.

so looks like i will be needing to buy another one of them too.

I recently went to Texas for a few weeks as a little vacation and got some snaps from a little cars and coffee i went to with my friend.

Comment

I have been searching for a specific steering wheel for quite a while, i am a person who takes a long time obsessing over the details.

i found a few of these wheels and came close to purchasing but they just didn't quite cut it for me. and i am glad i waited it out.

I also recently went to switzerland, and whilst in europe i was doing some hunting around, and in a neighbouring country i found it.

New Old Stock Italvolanti wheel, build date of 83 and never been fitted, still has the original box. 2 button model, not to be confused with the 3 button.

steering wheel as seen in the M3 DTM cars.

Comment

Very nice!! Im a HUGE Italvolanti fan, and it has joined the SSR wheels as the items that travel with the cars. I had one from that era also, but it needed a 3 hole hub that took me forever to find. The one I currently have has the same pattern as a Momo but was made in '88 I think. Cant tell from the pic if its 3 or 6... LMK I can help get the 3-bolt hub if thats the one you need

only pic i can find with mine... cruising down PCH

Simon
            Current Cars:
            -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Awesome wheel.

Car looks great with the tint removed.

My car had ugly black trim as well and I took it off pretty easily iirc. Tape over the area, lightly sand the paint (not into the aluminum) with 600, spray with your choice of adhesive remover, then scrub it by hand (should come off pretty easily) then sand to 2000 grit and polish with a polishing compound. Due the same wet-sanding/polishing to all your aluminum trim and it'll look a lot better. I would use the gentlest adhesive remover you can (maybe just grease/wax remover?) to avoid any damage to the paint from leaking through the tape.

Comment

its an awesome wheel, maybe at some point in the next few years i will actually use it!

thank you, i have found an early model white door with the correct trim local so i am just going to go and grab that as the white is slightly different.

Comment

as i am about to leave the office for the holiday i just wanted to wish you all a great christmas and a happy new year

here is a festive throw back photo.

Hopefully we can get some progress on this car in 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by benwalsh91 View Post

Hopefully we can get some progress on this car in 2020.
                    2020 is the year!
                    Simon
                    Current Cars:

Comment

small progress, but progress is progress.

just been collecting parts, misc bits such as wheel bearings, dust shields and some materials such as undercoating for the car and some other paint and bits.

as previously mentioned my speedo has had issues, i found another one for sale online so i purchased it, when it turned up it was in horrific condition and i wanted to keep my 325e rev counter with the lower RPM so tried to make 2 into 1 decent working cluster.

Also fitted my Italvolanti wheel, as mentioned by Mr. 2mAn the wheel wouldnt line up with the momo hub so i just machined an adaptor plate to go between the wheel and the hub as thin as safely possible.

Also, big big update but me and Nicholl got ourselves our first house, and it has a double garage with a big big drive which is actually really hard to get here in UK this close to London

I have the car booked in for an MOT next month with the plan to drive the car from my parents to the MOT centre and then drive it to the new house if all goes well!! will be the first proper UK drive and i cant wait. will try and get photos and/or maybe some film clips of the drive to the new house.

Comment

Congrats on the house! The steering wheel looks great. And that rose really ties everything together. ;)

Comment

Originally posted by mike.bmw View Post
                          Congrats on the house! The steering wheel looks great. And that rose really ties everything together. ;)
                          haha thank you! There is another fake rose in there somewhere, it was the roses that i had in my shirt on a post in the first page from Halloween 2018

Comment

Do you plan to keep just the single red needle, paint them all or swap to a matching set?
                            How to remove, install or convert to pop out windows
                            http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=297611

Could be better, could be worse.

Comment

wonderful update! Congrats on the house and the big garage.
                              Simon
                              Current Cars:

Comment

Originally posted by rzerob View Post
                                Do you plan to keep just the single red needle, paint them all or swap to a matching set?
                                I quite like the single red needle to be honest, but in the future the entire interior will get a full overhaul so this is just to get it working and through an MOT but i do have a plan in mind for the cluster but i think i will end up selling it to BavRest for them to do it.

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                                wonderful update! Congrats on the house and the big garage.
                                Thank you, i am super looking forward to getting into that garage and making some serious progress on this little car.

Comment

Working...
                                X