A well travelled e30 - Cali to London. 84 coupe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mike.bmw View Post
    AWESOME updates! I was just wondering about this car a few weeks ago and BAM - thread updated! :-)
    Haha madness to think that people think about this. But thank you, it’s still here and it will never leave my side. It’s just taking a little bit longer than I would have hoped to get this ball moving but I am happy to take my time and get it to where I want it to be. Also happy that I have managed to get this thread up to date.

I drove my e30 from California to London!

Comment

Originally posted by QuiqueUy View Post
      what wheels are those? really like them !
      The wheels are Weds Bavaria and rather hard to get hold of. Wouldn’t mind a set in 16s. These are 15s but only 7j iirc

Comment

Originally posted by benwalsh91 View Post

The wheels are Weds Bavaria and rather hard to get hold of. Wouldn’t mind a set in 16s. These are 15s but only 7j iirc
        ohh noice ! i was confused by the polished lip it might be some image wheels or something like that ! they look sweet on pre facelift for sure !

Comment

So good to have an update, thank you! Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

yeah, this thread keeps giving lots of heartwarming things; the whole roadtrip story, new house, how it was saved from sale during a pandemic--now a cute puppy & attention from bmw itself AND actual project progress...unheard of...

Comment

I would highly highly recommend not stripping the whole underside if you can avoid it, on my S2 it took me 140 hours of wire wheeling, and that's not 140h of general time, I started the stop watch when I picked up the grinder.
              Neighbours were not happy.
              sigpic

(clicky on piccy to get to thread)

Comment

Originally posted by econti View Post
                I would highly highly recommend not stripping the whole underside if you can avoid it, on my S2 it took me 140 hours of wire wheeling, and that's not 140h of general time, I started the stop watch when I picked up the grinder.
                Neighbours were not happy.
                thanks for the heads up, do you think its worth coating over what's already there then? i guess it comes down to how bad it is under the car when i flip it over, i know for a fact there is no rust so its not like i will be coating over any rust. but it NEEDS to be coated to continue its life now in the UK, i want to drive this car and not have to worry it turning into swiss cheese in the future.

Comment

It depends what condition it's in, and if you plan on driving it on salted roads.
                  Down here in Aus I wouldn't bother. I also have a series 2 and the coating on them is better.
                  if I were you, I would be inspecting the underside with semi regularity (every few months maybe?) and if you see any stone chips, rust converting them then resealing that small section if need be. If you drive it often.
                  sigpic

(clicky on piccy to get to thread)

Comment

If you decide to not strip it, inspect it very carefully. It is possible for rust to form underneath the factory undercoating.

You can usually find the rust because the undercoating will start to peal or bubble up. If you see those signs, scrap or peal off what's there. The rust shows after removing the undercoating.

Comment

Working...
                    X