Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Homestead-Miami Speedway Drift Event

More pictures from Day 2!

To say the least, this weekend was something out of a movie. Those who have seen the Top Gear episode of their 24hr race, it followed the exact same mood. For the stupidest of reasons, I rear ended a truck on Saturday at 10am, pulling out of the track to fill up the tank before doing a practice session. The truck ahead of me came to a full stop to ask a walking spectator something while I looked back to reach for my harness.

I got a huge trailer hitch through my intercooler, oil cooler and radiator, bending my core support.

At 10am, people were asking me how I was going to make it back home. With the perseverance of 3-4 people working on my car nonstop since the accident.... by 4pm, my car goes through tech and joins the practice session, and although with minor issues, the car leaked nothing and I was able to get a few runs in.

Here's a pic of putting the car back together, mid-afternoon on Saturday:

Here's a pic of how the car looked on a practice run Saturday afternoon:

By Sunday at 2pm, (where pictured), I was able to put on what I felt was an awsome show to the crowd spectating, with a mangled up car.

With all said and done, it's frustrating that since June (when my car left the bodyshop), all of the damage you see to the car is hardly related to drifting, aside from a tail light and a rear bumper and door trim. I've had the worst of luck outside of the track, but it's amazing at how this car keeps persisting and again and again proving itself to be one hell of a car.

Even so, I still cannot complain that I got an awsome Christmas present. The last time Homestead-Miami Speedway held a drift event was in 2004 where D1 hosted their driver's search. This is when I first started learning about drifting and it had been one of my dreams to slide that track ever since I started.

I'm definetly beyond thrilled. Now I gotta find some stuff in the storage to sell and raise money. I just figured a two month downtime on the car will be required... I will just have to get the money to do the cage, send it to the body shop, finish my new turbo setup and install any other goodies that are left.

I'd like to thank my sponsors for helping me get out there:

- SMDG Shop: For working on my car overnight, replacing my rear hubs, bearings, brakes, etc basically overnight to get the car ready for the event

- Ireland Engineering: For the urethane bushings on my car, which accomplished one hell of a difference, providing a lot more grip in the rear, which helps a LOT with predictability and control of the drift.

- KO Performance: For helping me get all the parts I needed from a miserable drift event the past weekend (where a wheel hub went bad and almost shot the wheel out mid-drift).

- R3vlimited: You guys still rock on with the support to keep this going. :)

Not forgotten as well is TJ from Stasis, who I'm hoping for the best and that his recent health issues were just a minor scare.

Anywho, I know there are more pictures and videos out there, and I will make sure to share with all of you. :D

Thanks again,
    Erick
    Last edited by Erick; 12-27-2007, 07:53 PM.
    Erick Mahle | FullOpp Drift | YouTube
    EurostopUSA | Dunlop Tires | Ireland Engineering | EnthusiastApparel | Ground Control

..::Support FullOpp::..
    FullOpp Stickers for sale!
    NEW | Enthusiast Apparel T-Shirts! | NEW
    Feedback Thread

Originally posted by Mr. Anderson
    ...one of the most hardcore E30's around. :D

Bring home the gold for r3v!

Comment

man. fuckin pickups and their damn hitches. time to sell more wheels?? i was hoping to see the new Work wheels in action...
      IG: @Baye30

FRONT VALENCE IS ZENDER!!! STOP FILLING MY PM BOX PPL!!!

Comment

makes me proud to be a r3vlimiteder.

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
        @Zakspeed_US

Comment

As Mr. Anderson said, "One of the most hardcore e30's around". Keep doing the damn thing man.
          Originally posted by csermonet47
          Vlad, you are handling this quite unprofessionally.

Also, you are a cock with tacky taste.

That is all.

Comment

Originally posted by golde30 View Post
            man. fuckin pickups and their damn hitches. time to sell more wheels?? i was hoping to see the new Work wheels in action...
            But they are my good friend. Look in the back ;)

The euroweaves are sold. I might manage, but selling these Ewings would be a solid bonus to reconstruct the car. Thankfully, the cage is paid for.

- Erick
            EurostopUSA | Dunlop Tires | Ireland Engineering | EnthusiastApparel | Ground Control

Feedback Thread

Comment

i thought i saw them in the back, wasnt sure. lets seem some all around installed pics!!
              IG: @Baye30

FRONT VALENCE IS ZENDER!!! STOP FILLING MY PM BOX PPL!!!

Comment

sweet pictures!

I'm on the slow boat...but what rims are those on the front?

Comment

I have serious issues with any "race series" that doesn't require you to have a hood or bumper on the car...

With that said, congrats on your efforts in getting the car working again. The TG episode rocked and had me on the edge of my seat. No doubt your situation was exciting too!
                  Randall Prince
                  http://www.rp1.us/ Used Cars

Comment

Originally posted by sirsteezo View Post
                    I'm on the slow boat...but what rims are those on the front?
                    Borbet Type A's.

This is definitely excellent man. I wish you would get an E30 wagon and drift the crap out of it.
                    Reminiscing...

Comment

Those photos suck! Looks like the spot to shoot from wasn't bad, tis a shame I wasn't out there.

RISING EDGE

Let's drive fast and have fun.

Comment

Originally posted by M42Technik View Post
                        Borbet Type A's.

This is definitely excellent man. I wish you would get an E30 wagon and drift the crap out of it.
                        I'd love to man. If I could ever get my hands on one at a price anything below absurd, I'd go to town with it.

But right now the sedan is doing just fine. I'm hoping that in the next two months, I can take care of all the bodywork and start '08 fresh. Car should be hopefully making a comeback in February.

Now the question is.... should I stick with the panda theme? :p

- Erick

Feedback Thread

Comment

Originally posted by rwdrift View Post

-Erick
                          Don't start "signing" your posts now too...

I would say get a new color on there, something awesome...no ideas as to what though.
                          Reminiscing...

Comment

Originally posted by rwdrift View Post

- Erick
                            Panda, stormtrooper, whatever.. Yes stick with it. I love it..

Comment

I've been thinking about it Dan, but the two colors I like the most have been recently done within the past year.

I might stick with Panda, who knows.

Anywho, just got ahold of more pictures from the practice on Saturday, right after I had just finished putting the radiator back together:

Hoping for the Day 2 pics and videos soon... I'll update the main post with those.

Feedback Thread

Comment

Working...
                              X