An auto-x virgin no more

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sean View Post
    I was thinkin the same thing - his car doesn't have near the amount of body roll my car does. I've been running with stock sways for years with Konis and IE3s. I say stick with how it is too - you really don't need more. you've done one autocross - you have much more practice to gain before you need to worry about mods. ;)

If you think autocrossing is fun....go drive on a track. Autocrossing is just...meh to me now. Track driving is SO MUCH MORE FUN! Not to mention I seemed to get faster in autocrossing after some HPDE's. Even still, I'm never going to mod my car around autocross regulations or anything like that - I make it how I like and drive it for fun.
    they both have something to offer - HPDEs = seat time and more speed; autox = intense competition and low cost (well, sometimes).
    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

I know this is a stupid question, and I've been around here long enough that I should know, but what suspension set up are you running? I'm still not sure why I haven't gone autoxing yet, but it's on my list of things to do.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean View Post
        I say stick with how it is too - you really don't need more. you've done one autocross - you have much more practice to gain before you need to worry about mods. ;)
        +1
        sways aren't necessary and body lean isn't a bad thing to learn with/on. If you're taking out cones, you have more to worry about than lean, and even my car on GC's leaned plenty and helped to feel out the car. (after a dozen or so events, lost count, I've only had a few cones even with H&R sports which I enjoy just as well as GC's for Auto-X

worry about CG lock and air pressures and gatorade and sunblock

Sways (and proper reinforcement) will cost the same as 15 Auto-X events (or 20 if reinforced) and do less for your speed and fun
        Last edited by rwh11385; 04-21-2008, 10:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
          they both have something to offer - HPDEs = seat time and more speed; autox = intense competition and low cost (well, sometimes).
          Very very true!
          - Sean Hayes

Comment

Nice that you had a blast.

It took you just one whif to get hooked. :D

-> Afficionados join the M-technic I club

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Anderson View Post
              Here's another pic that one of the guys got of me in the staging area, I think I was next up.

Why are you in DSP class? what modification have you done to place you in DSP? also, from my experience (w/ Cali weather), running Falken 615s are cheap tires that works well with auto-x here in Socal, but I'm not sure what are the best tires for M+S; maybe some Michelin PS2 may serve you well. Like you, I'm addicted to Auto-x, but more towards drifting, hehe. after each runs, just check your tire pressure and that's probably the only thing you have to worry about until you get used to auto-x track... once you get used to it, it is mostly throttle control and left foot brakes

check out our Auto-X fun experience in SoCal, http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=109136

it was Einstein57's first time just like you and he had a blast; now he's addicted, lol

Comment

remove your centercaps and dot your tires with white shoe polish for the Fuh Raze look. . .
                Current Cars
                2014 M235i
                2009 R56 Cooper S
                1998 M3
                1997 M3

Comment

Originally posted by Jeremiel5 View Post
                  Why are you in DSP class? what modification have you done to place you in DSP?
                  Read first post. The guy doing registration accidentally overclassed me.

Dave, what do the white dots on the tires mean? I saw a few other guys doing that. As far as the centercaps, I probably won't be running these wheels next time. I have a spare set of weaves, I just need to get tires for them.

And thanks for all the advice guys, I really appreciate it. Keep it coming!
                  Last edited by Jand3rson; 04-21-2008, 03:39 PM.

Comment

To check tire sidewall roll for proper air pressure.
                    Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

www.gecoils.com
                    My euro 316 project Transaction Feedback

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Anderson View Post
                      Read first post. The guy doing registration accidentally overclassed me.

Dave, what do the white dots on the tires mean? I saw a few other guys doing that. As far as the centercaps, I probably won't be running these wheels next time. I have a spare set of weaves, I just need to get tires for them.

And thanks for all the advice guys, I really appreciate it. Keep it coming!

LOL. sorry, I read it, but it didn't register. As for White Dots, I usually do that for all my runs, so I know how much rollover I go through and so I know how much sidewall I end up rubbing off based on the tire pressure, lol.

Comment

Car looks great as usual. Looks like a blast.

Comment

Working...
                        X