Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Barn Find 1989 325is / 100K Mile [Well, it was stored in a barn]

Copied from our local BMW forum:

This was one of those opportunities that I just couldn't pass up. Long time buddy reached out to me about his girlfriends mom wanting to sell her "old BMW". Asked for pics and was greeted by this 325is in incredible shape. Got the owners number and started talking about setting up a time to see the car. She had to ponder what the price would be as she had been back and forth about selling the car before. When she sent me over the price, I knew I was going to be buying it. Set up a time to see the car and came with cash even though I was only about 20 minutes from her house. Went out with my brother and drove it home that night. The previous owner really loved the car and was passionate about it.

Never drove in winter, always kept in one of their buildings on their property, and pretty infrequently driven. Came with all the service records from Auto Clinic where it has been serviced for the majority of its life. Has all the original manuals, radio ID cards, and even a complete tool kit. Crack free dash and a working odometer. Car hit a deer at some point, so the front clip is much more shiny than the rest, but the work was done by Dave Treichel at Zero to 60 so I know it was done to the highest level and it looks it.

Things to take care of: half the cluster does not work. Tach, fuel mileage, and temp gauge do not work. The other half works completely, so I don't know if that means it's an SI battery or if just all the gears on that side broke. Only other thing is that the driver window does not work, assuming it's just a regulator or maybe there is connection under the switch not connected.

My plan is to start cleaning it this weekend and get it up on stands to take a look under it. Want to rent a carpet cleaner that has a hand operated unit so I can pull the seats out and really clean it, looks like it might have some mildew or mold on it(probably from sitting in a barn for a while). Then start buffing and polishing the faded parts.

Plans: maintenance and minor mods including coilovers, wheels, strut braces, short shifter, and exhaust. I'll pick a couple bits off my other car like the euro grilles, euro clock, and euro plate filler. I plan to do the brakes this year as they are a bit squeaky. Depending on the condition under the car, I would like to do a full suspension and brake refresh this winter.

The car drives and rides great, been really enjoying the M20.

Nice find!

IG @turbovarg
    '91 318is, M20 turbo
    [CoTM: 4-18]
    '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
    - updated 1-26

Comment

Congrats! Pull that steering wheel cover, asap!
      sigpic

Comment

Great find. Keep us posted.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike36 View Post
          Congrats! Pull that steering wheel cover, asap!
          Cleaning plans are for this weekend.

Comment

Congratulations! When I restored my former 325is, the driver window did not work too, so I dismantled the door. The regulators in these cars are solid, they are all metal. The motors are also very sturdy so test it first connecting 12v to it. My bet is that is a worn cable. I ended up replacing the wiring all the way to the switch.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisca70 View Post
              Congratulations! When I restored my former 325is, the driver window did not work too, so I dismantled the door. The regulators in these cars are solid, they are all metal. The motors are also very sturdy so test it first connecting 12v to it. My bet is that is a worn cable. I ended up replacing the wiring all the way to the switch.
              I've also been told that the switches sometimes just need to be cleaned. Plan on taking a look at it tonight.

Comment

Good find. Once in a life time. Feel lucky. Congrats

Comment

JOMs and Wheels are on. Just been enjoying driving around.

Really need to roll the fenders or raise it a little bit(which I do not want to do).

Comment

Working...
                  X