No announcement yet.

Finally back into an e30: ‘88 Alpine on Blue 325ic cruiser build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Started to clock the turbo. Waiting on downpipe and Intercooler piping to fully dial it in.

My coil isn’t in the way but the wire goes above the turbo. In pictures I see several keeping it that way but anyone suggest moving it? I’d heat wrap the wire at the least.

Comment

Vanity - classic auto - plate came in and mounted up! I’m liking it. What I think a turbo car should do and sounds like :)

Comment

New Z3 steering rack came in. Stupid I had everything out and decided to do this afterward but there’s always time to do things twice.

Comment

Original Alpina material boots made for the car arrive yesterday.

Comment

Still fitting up the turbo. Wastegate and dump pipe fitting and downpipe in. Still clocking the turbo.

Comment

going to love that rack!
              1991 318is
              2004 330ci
              2011 335d

Comment

Originally posted by dmanb2b View Post
                going to love that rack!
                I hope so! Sucks I decided to upgrade after everything was in the car but seems easy enough to swap.

Comment

I have the garagistic kit to modify the steering joint - terribly fitting kit that’s for sure - but I also purchased the delrin coupler. Is that gonna make the ground noise feedback to the steering wheel a ton? Should I just replace the rubber while I’m in there and not replace it with the delrin?

Comment

Is the rubber bad? If not, keep it. I don't recall a replacement being available. IIRC I bought the AKG kit for the joint, would recommend. I looked into doing a solid disc, and decided against it for that reason - nvh.

Comment

Originally posted by rturbo 930 View Post
                      Is the rubber bad? If not, keep it. I don't recall a replacement being available. IIRC I bought the AKG kit for the joint, would recommend. I looked into doing a solid disc, and decided against it for that reason - nvh.
                      The rubber isn't bad. Being honest (lol) I took a hammer to it trying to figure out the bolts for the spacer kit and found the joint will slide up and down a bit on the big rivets where the coupler is. This is making me paranoid since I know its used also as a safety device, I was thinking maybe I simulated a "crash" and caused the play - or maybe its not the case and its still good.. So I was thinking I hit it hard enough to potentially create play in the joint. There are replacement - https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...co-32311153993 - and I could just use the hardware that comes with the delrin kit. I'm worried that I'm going to hate the steering if it jounces me from me 'more' solid than the rubber.

Comment

My ignition coil is located on the front side of the wheel well arch. I never noticed they were somewhere else for everyone. Are you worried it will get hot being there in the inferno?

Comment

Originally posted by jeenyus View Post
                          My ignition coil is located on the front side of the wheel well arch. I never noticed they were somewhere else for everyone. Are you worried it will get hot being there in the inferno?
                          Yes I am which is why I covered the hell out of it with heatshield wrap. Hopefully it'll last until I change to more coils.

Comment

It sure looks nice with all that gold. Great work

Comment

Originally posted by jeenyus View Post
                              It sure looks nice with all that gold. Great work
                              Thanks haha. I'm going overboard with that stuff but its my first turbo build and wanted to take time to protect things. I'll put a layer of it on the bottom of the hood and am thinking of doing the strut tower to slow down the yellowing of the paint - if I ever decide to go NA again - I want to be able to remove and not have yellow paint.

Comment

Originally posted by Mastrcruse View Post

The rubber isn't bad. Being honest (lol) I took a hammer to it trying to figure out the bolts for the spacer kit and found the joint will slide up and down a bit on the big rivets where the coupler is. This is making me paranoid since I know its used also as a safety device, I was thinking maybe I simulated a "crash" and caused the play - or maybe its not the case and its still good.. So I was thinking I hit it hard enough to potentially create play in the joint. There are replacement - https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...co-32311153993 - and I could just use the hardware that comes with the delrin kit. I'm worried that I'm going to hate the steering if it jounces me from me 'more' solid than the rubber.
                                Yeah, sounds like you did something to the 'bolts' that are intended to collapse in a crash. Those are the ones you replace when converting to an E36 rack anyway, so if that's the only damage, just replace them with the bolts from whatever kit you bought, and keep the stock rubber one. IIRC that rubber joint is riveted in or something, and not that easy to replace, but it's been a while since I've looked at it.

Comment

Working...
                                X