January 2020 Car of the Month: Aluminum Monster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

January 2020 Car of the Month: Aluminum Monster

***Editors Note: Yes, I picked one of my old cars. It's likely to change hands again soon, so before I lose a direct contact with the car, I figure its time to feature it. Plus January was a bit tough to get someone to get it done in time. If you dont like it... too bad, perks of the position***

Factory options:
    -"Poverty" Spec: Manual Windows, Locks, sunroof, etc

Color:
    -Alpine White

Interior color:
    -Originally Brown, arrived to me with a mix of tan and black interior. Went through a few different iterations before settling on a basic black interior

Engine modifications:
    -The heart and soul of the Aluminum Monster. Aluminum Block M52.
    -Fully rebuilt motor, top to bottom with new pistons and all new everything. Had over 50k on the rebuild when I sold it in 2017
    -S52 cams, "pinktop" 21.5# Injectors
    -OBD 1 conversion with chipped 413 ECU, OBD1 intake
    -Modified Dinan Cold Air Intake, K&N Filter

Exhaust:
    -OBD1 Exhaust Manifolds OBD2 downpipe into a stock M20B25 dual exhaust ending in an Ansa Muffler.

Transmission:
    -Stock G260 with twisted DSSR, PMC Shifter

Differential:
    -3.73LSD

Suspension:
    -Coilover conversion up front with 500fr/700rr Springs, Corrado Konis up front on shortened housings, Mustang Koni's in the back
    -Factory Cabriolet/ IX swaybar upgrade
    -Ireland Engineering upper front strut brace

Wheels:
    -16x7 SSR Type C wheels with Dunlop 225/45/16

Exterior modifications:
    -Late Model Bumper conversion along with late model rear valence welded on, color matched with Euro Trim front and custom Euro Trim in rear.
    -IS Front Lip
    -Smoked Crosshair Ellipsoids with HID Conversion
    -Euro Grilles
    -Rear plate trim
    -Zender Rear spoiler

Interior modifications:
    -Half-Stripped Interior with Custom rear seat delete
    -Cobra Monaco Front Bucket with Schroth Harness
    -Welded in Rollbar
    -Italvolanti Steering Wheel
    -Rebuilt Cluster with Aluminum Trim Rings

Story behind the car:

This was my second E30. First was a Zinno 86-ES model and I had the plan to build a stroker for it, but after some disappointing compression numbers on the stock motor and the timing of this car coming along, I made the purchase. It already had the 2.7i motor, G260, with a tan sport interior, and black late model bumpers and front valence. I dont know the whole history but it appeared that someone had a wrecked 325i and the 84 was a shell that received everything possible from the donor 325i. Within a few months, the oil and coolant started to mix and it appeared the recently rebuilt motor had a cracked head. After mulling the options, I decided to go with the Aluminum Block M52. KD Motorsports in Bellevue was going to be helping me with everything and mid-build I got a job in SoCal, so moved and left them with the car and an assembled motor, and after several months of headaches and another rebuild on the motor, my car was ready. I flew to Seattle and drove it back to SoCal and within those first 1200 miles, I knew I had built a monster.

I originally was modified with some sweet Recaro SE seats and a houndstooth interior, but as time passed it became my racecar. Thing was truly a monster. It was and is an amazing car, with a curb weight around 2300 pounds and putting down 225whp, it really was a monster. I beat a lot of modern cars because of my amazing power to weight ratio. Sadly, I made a few mistakes along the way and I couldnt daily drive it anymore and was stuck in the CA system because I couldnt get it to pass the CA smog. I have my theories about this but bottom line was that Id taken it too far and I had to let it go. It found a new owner, Art (CYN RNS) and he tracked it with the Porsche Owners Club and was basically keeping up with GT3s and beating everything else out there. Shortly after his purchase though he moved from SoCal to Vegas where it has been sitting as he has moved on to other hobbies, and the car is looking for a new owner now... Whoever gets it will certainly have a Monster on their hands. The pics below are the last ones j.rizo took before Art purchased the monster from me.

Build Thread is here:

Dyno Runs & AutoCross Runs are here:

(See if you can spot Charlie (Sh3pak!ng), listen to the announcer if you can. You'll hear Charlies fabulous finish to his run LOL

and where it terrorizes Porsches and others

Simon
    Current Cars:
    -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Cool car. Cool build thread. Cool photos. What better way to kick of 2020! (And a little bit of R3V history to boot!)

Comment

See if you can spot Charlie (Sh3pak!ng), listen to the announcer if you can. You'll hear Charlies fabulous finish to his run LOL
      man I wish I had that run on gopro...

also - nice car!
      '89 325i OBD2 S52 BUILD THREAD
      Shadetree30

Comment

Super awesome car, great build and wonderful photos! I think i recognize that location from someone elses photos...

Comment

I smell a Bias.
          I do things.

Comment

Was this car a monster? I thought you had mentioned previously that it was a monster, but I didn't see you call it a monster anywhere here. Could have sworn it was a monster.
            Byron
            Leichtbau

Comment

Originally posted by E30SPDFRK View Post
              Was this car a monster? I thought you had mentioned previously that it was a monster, but I didn't see you call it a monster anywhere here. Could have sworn it was a monster.
              It was a monster before it was a monster. Then after it really was a monster. It still is a monster today too...
              Simon
              Current Cars:

Comment

Car looks like a total riot to drive. Light, with some guts.
                I do things.

Comment

I dig it!
                  http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=316212

BMWCCA #398608
                  IG @yagayo38

"The Best E30's were built with two camshafts four cylinders and sixteen valves!".

Comment

Nice!

Ever get corner weighted?

I had a 97 z3 block that collect dust for a decade I always wanted to do something with...

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
                    @Zakspeed_US

Comment

Originally posted by moatilliatta View Post
                      Nice!

Ever get corner weighted?

I had a 97 z3 block that collect dust for a decade I always wanted to do something with...

Of course I did!..

This was with 180# Ballast for Driver

Simon
                      Current Cars:

Comment

I want that style of license plate so bad!
                        2003 Z4 3.0 6-speed- Silver, 19's, daily driver
                        1990 Silver 325i- Lowered on H&R OE Sports, e90 drop hats, KYB shocks, color matched rocker panels, 16" Emortal RS wheels on 205/50/16 tires... Currently getting a full refresh including an S52 swap!
                        1997 Black Ford Probe GT- Stripped to 2220lbs, MS3X, Forged motor in midst of assembly... Dyno results and 1/4 mile times pending

Comment

I just submitted this to BAT as I type this, if anyone wants it before it goes live feel free to reach out.

-Art

Comment

Working...
                          X