Project Daily iS Real

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Project Daily iS Real

Hey everyone! Today I acquired my 3rd E30 and couldn't be happier. It's a '91 318iS in pretty reasonable shape. It needs some cosmetic love and has an oil leak and some other things I need to address but she runs well thus far. I plan to get her into daily driver shape and spruce her up as time and budget allow. I'm looking forward to being back in the community!

Click image for larger version

Name:	e30_1_resized.jpg
Views:	997
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	9910002

Name:	e30_2_resized.jpg
Views:	945
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	9910003

Name:	e30_4_resized.jpg
Views:	933
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	9910004
    Gabe
    '91 318is

what a lovely platform to stand on. lots of potential.

Comment

Thank you!

Drove her around for about 30 miles today and noticed the following that need fixing soon:

- Windshield is cracked
      - Tires have some dry rot - maybe a forced upgrade for wheels???
      - Shifter is sloppy sloppy - bushings perhaps?
      - Oil leak is quite bad - entire front case is caked in oil
      - A/C needs to be recharged

She runs great and rides and handles just fine too so I'm very pleased overall.
      Gabe
      '91 318is

Comment

Awesome! Looks like you have a nice little project. :) Definitely replace the tires. You can still get some in that size, like from Tire Rack. I'd replace the upper and lower oil pan gaskets and seal with Dirko. You may also need to replace the front and rear crankshaft seals and timing case seals. The 3 seals on the gearbox too if you go that far.
        Plug and Play Wiring Harness Adapters for S54, S50, M54 and more.

Comment

Thanks Andrew! Good advice right there.

I got the gasket and o-rings in for the oil filter housing and dipstick tube. Seemed to have fixed one leak there but there are still others; I'll be monitoring it from here on and start planning the pan gaskets and timing case seals. Monday will be an attempt for emissions and if she passes, will get new tires 205/60/14s, new windshield and some tint this week. Cross fingers!
          Gabe
          '91 318is

Comment

Car passed smog with flying colors and is now registered. Got some 205/60/14 tires to get mounted tomorrow. New windshield.

With reference to the others, I feel there are about 3 other oil leaks as the drips are coming from different points. Since there are so many, including the transmission, I was thinking I will just pull the whole motor and trans and reseal everything while it's out. Probably much less effort in the end then trying to do it on the car. Here is a list of gaskets/seals I was going to order. Any advice on what to replace or reseal while it's out? I'm sure I'm missing something.

Valve Cover
            Upper Timing Cover
            Lower Timing Cover
            Upper Oil Pan
            Lower Oil Pan
            Rear Main Seal
            Crank Seal Cover Gasket
            Front Main Seal
            Timing Chain/Guides/Tensioners
            Input Shaft Seal
            Output Shaft Seal
            Short Shifter and Rebuild Kit

Gabe
            '91 318is

Comment

Ordered up all the seals and gaskets. Threw in water pump, t-stat, radiator hoses, heater hoses, belts, power steering lines and a Z3 rack! Should keep me busy for a while. I'm sure something else will come up while in the process but I think it's a good start.
              Gabe
              '91 318is

Comment

Got a bit of work done today. Motor is ready to pull soon as I disconnect the heater hoses. So, so much scraping, degreasing, cleaning and prepping. Going to paint the engine bay while it's out since it's got a lot of varnish type gunk that won't come off without sanding the paint anyway. Check out the leaky valve cover! Oil in #1 and #4 plugs! Thing is nasty!

engine1_resize by Gabriel Simoes, on Flickr

engine2_resize by Gabriel Simoes, on Flickr

engine3_resize by Gabriel Simoes, on Flickr
                Gabe
                '91 318is

Comment

Nice looking car! When I bought my 318is, the valve cover was leaking into the plug wells like that. Looks like you have a great list of refresh items. Should be a treat to drive after!

I recommend replacing all your rubber fuel hose (both in the engine bay and at the tank). Installing a set of Bosch 4 pintle injectors or getting your stock injectors cleaned wouldn't be a bad idea either.

Comment

Thanks, Mike! Hmmm, good call on the fuel hoses and injectors. I did notice the fuel hoses looked old and I'm sure the injectors could use a reflow and balance. I'll get those pulled and shipped out promptly!

Some progress today:

20200401_150648 by Gabriel Simoes, on Flickr

20200401_150655 by Gabriel Simoes, on Flickr

20200401_150707 by Gabriel Simoes, on Flickr

20200401_150700 by Gabriel Simoes, on Flickr

A slew of parts should be arriving over the next week. Gonna take the time to clean everything up. The rear main seal was ok, but was leaking at the oilpan. Oil pan itself leaky all over, timing cover, prob front seals too. Perfect time to fix 'um all!

Gabe
                    '91 318is

Comment

Regarding oil leaks...

Mine leaked from the upper and lower oil pan gaskets as well as the timing case AND the oil filter housing (all of which I've replaced). The oil filter housing has both a gasket and o-ring. That o-ring will get small/brittle over time, which causes a leak out of the oil filter housing and all over the bottom of the engine. It's hard to know when to stop replacing parts once you're in there, but also check out the timing chain guides. If you haven't yet dropped the lower oil pan, you may find some surprises in there such as pieces of the timing chain guides and bolts from the upper oil pan.

As you've already pulled the engine, you probably already knew all of this about the M42, so I apologize if I'm stating the obvious. Good luck!

Comment

No, not at all, Mike. I appreciate the input! This is actually the first time I've pulled an M42 engine. We've done the timing cover and a headgasket before so somewhat familiar.

I am curious to see what's under the timing cover and oil pan. The engine runs very smooth with hardly any valve or timing noise so I'm not intending to replace the guides (expensive) unless they are worn or beat up. I did recently do the oil filter housing and replaced that o-ring as well; I also managed to stab the heck out of my thumb with the pick in the process! Doh! The rabbit hole goes on and on. I am trying to balance the "while I'm here" with the reasonable goal of having a clean and reliable car. I've added all the front suspension bushings tie rods and ball joints to the list as well as new clutch cylinders. Unless I break something or find hidden issues, that should wrap up the motor and front suspension.
                        Gabe
                        '91 318is

Comment

No problem! The last thing I'll say for now is that these are the injectors I used:

They're Bosch 4 pintle injectors (0280150556) found in 90s mustangs as well as other Fords. They are plug n' play, have similar flow/specs to stock, and you can get a set of 4 for under $100.

Sounds like you have a great plan of attack. :)

Comment

Thanks, Mike. I'll see what I can score a set of those for and hopefully replace.

A day full of cleaning...and several more to come. The oil varnish is very time consuming to get off and it's all over the valve cover and intake manifold. It takes plenty of wire brush and carb cleaner and patience but they are getting there. I think I'll hit the bock with gloss black, prep the header and do vht flat 1600*. Not trying to make a show engine bay but just make it more palatable. Thing was disgusting as expected from ~30 years of neglect. Parts should arrive in the next week and we can start slapping things back together.

20200403_164001 by Gabriel Simoes, on Flickr

20200403_163955 by Gabriel Simoes, on Flickr

20200403_163939 by Gabriel Simoes, on Flickr
                            Gabe
                            '91 318is

Comment

Spring cleaning and house projects have kept me a bit distracted but the engine is sealed up and cleaned up a bit... ready to go back in! The thing was leaking from the front timing cover, valve cover, both oil pan gaskets, the rear main (already fixed the oil filter housing and dipstick tube before) and power steering lines. Still doing a bit more fitment on the Z3 rack, install the new shifter rebuild parts, transmission seals but it's getting there...

Name:	49801897793_70c86f0054_b.jpg
Views:	557
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	9920772

Name:	49822357441_74458ef8cf_b.jpg
Views:	554
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	9920773

Gabe
                              '91 318is