635CSi Daily Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

635CSi Daily Driver

I figured I'd post up my new daily. 86 635 in Bahama Beige. Autotragic.

It had some god awful suspension when I bought it. Cut springs, no bump stops, blown out shocks.

The brakes had the usual master cylinder binding problem. I swapped the master cylinder for the 735 cylinder, and 7 series calipers and rotors in front, 540i rear calipers and rotors. They're all a direct swap.

Last weekend I installed some Koni yellow adjustables, what a difference.
    325ix front and Porsche 914 rear, it's a pretty good budget setup for e28/e24 chassis. The front strut housings are shortened 2" which might have been a little too much. I think 1.5" or 1.25" would've been more appropriate.

Spring rates are 300 front 275 rear, with swift tender springs for dual rates. Koni bump stops. Ground control touring plates up front and strut mounts rear. This is the shortened strut housing.

New vs old. The front is pictured without the swift tender spring here, I had to use the weight of the car to compress both springs so I could get the shock nut engaged.

The 325ix Koni yellows have a weird tendency to return to the middle of their travel. When you extend them they return back down to the middle, and return up when you compress. Not sure if that's by design?
    Notice the janky setup the PO put on there, the threaded sleeves started stretching around the weld bead because it was bottoming out the shock all the time haha

'
    This is the rear. Stock springs were cut by PO.

The 914 shocks aren't a straight bolt on, they need an adapter sleeve made in order to bolt up. Also they are top adjustable but the adjuster can't be accessed unless you drill an access hole into your rear deck.

I just adjusted them to 1.5 turns from full soft, seems like a good starting point.
    This is the adapter sleeve needed for the Koni 914 rear shocks.

The dimensions are:
    Overall Length 65mm
    Shoulder length 15mm
    Shoulder diameter 22mm
    Smaller sleeve diameter 18mm
    Inner diameter 14mm , clearance for m14 bolt

Plans for the car are to bolt on some low offset wheels with lots of lip, and maybe an LSD swap. These are the wheels. Lips will have a brushed / slight polished look.

Cheers!
    Last edited by pandaboo911; 03-22-2020, 07:55 PM.

nice!

Comment

Very nice!

My neighbor has a manual one that I have to try not to think about.

Are you planning on keeping this auto or is a manual swap in the plans?
      Simon
      Current Cars:
      -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
        Very nice!

My neighbor has a manual one that I have to try not to think about.

Are you planning on keeping this auto or is a manual swap in the plans?
        I looked into a manual swap but I’m pretty happy with the auto. My commute is stop-and-goey. The shifts are smooth, I just wish I could adjust the shift points somehow cause it’s pretty sluggish when you want to pass and likes to stay around 2000rpm. I read you can chip the trans ecu, but it’s got 235k miles so the trans has maybe 20-30k left at best.

If I decide later to do a manual swap I think I’d swap in a 24v at the same time cause the m30 is a boat anchor lol.

unfortunately I made a mistake with the front suspension, cutting 2 inches out was just too much. I’m getting spring bind in the front, so I’ll have to either move to a higher rate or get a longer spring, or longer bump stop. I re-used the springs the PO put on which was a nice rate, they’re already 7” long. I have a set of OE bump stops laying around which are HUGE lol. I might try using those instead.

the consequence of this manifested itself in a cracked oil pan when I pulled into my driveway :(

I spent a day cleaning the hell out of the crack and hitting it with a torch to burn out any residual oil. I gooped on some JB kwik and it’s holding so far, but I definitely need to find a skid plate of some sort..
        Last edited by pandaboo911; 03-23-2020, 06:26 PM.

Comment

When I was DDing with the auto, Id leave it in 3/S depending on the label of the 4 speed cover. Once youre up to freeway speeds can just drop it into D. Try that out
          Simon
          Current Cars:
          -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Thing looks great!

Whats the Stilo used for?

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
            @Zakspeed_US

Comment

Going to be an awesome daily. I haven't seen that color too much, pretty. Look forward to the updates.
              OBD1 S52 E36 Compact
              84 318i M10 Zender

Comment

they dont make koni for e24/e28? why use 914 koni??
                06' Black Cayman S

71' Agave Green 2002

10' Silver Landcruiser

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                  When I was DDing with the auto, Id leave it in 3/S depending on the label of the 4 speed cover. Once youre up to freeway speeds can just drop it into D. Try that out
                  That helps a bit, it still really loves to shift at 2k between like 10% and 80% throttle lol.
                  Originally posted by moatilliatta View Post
                  Thing looks great! Whats the Stilo used for?
                  It’s my spare helmet for trackdays / riding motorcycles
                  Originally posted by mariano_is_my_hero View Post
                  they dont make koni for e24/e28? why use 914 koni??
                  The e28 Koni yellows have been NLA for a long time. They are also standard length in front. The 914 shocks are slightly shorter and provide more bump travel. Same deal with 325ix inserts. More bump travel.

Comment

I bit the bullet and decided to rebuild the axles. The boots were fully torn on both sides and filling up with dirt. I only got one side done, this is the nastiest job I’ve had to do on a car. So much nasty grease and dirt. There was a lot of dirt inside. I think it caused some wear. Ouch... the axle wasn’t making any noise so I put it back together. The rest of the bearing surfaces looked nice. I installed a skid plate from red46. Nice piece. I’ll get some pics up

Comment

Sit rep, the oil pan jb weld fix held for a week. It’s leaking again. Gonna have to get creative. I mounted new wheels

Comment

Oil pan looks ouch. But that stance in last pic looks mean. Awesome DD. Any major plans or maintenance for now?
                        OBD1 S52 E36 Compact
                        84 318i M10 Zender

Comment

Oil pan looks ouch. But that stance in last pic looks mean. Awesome DD. Any major plans or maintenance for now?
                          OBD1 S52 E36 Compact
                          84 318i M10 Zender

Comment

very nice 635csi. Fresh parts look so good

Comment

Originally posted by WAM3 View Post
                              very nice 635csi. Fresh parts look so good
                              Thanks!
                              Originally posted by ZEKTI View Post
                              Just going through and fixing all the issues for now. A major upgrade I might do is swapping in an LSD. I tried to fix the spring bind issue by using the OEM bump stops. The koni bump stops weren’t long enough. If this doesn’t work I’ll go to an 8” spring and remove the tender spring. Size comparison.

Comment

Working...
                              X