Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'90 Euro BMW 318iS M42 M-Tech 2 - Lazur Blau

Hello everyone,

I'm starting this thread to post the story of my 1990 BMW 318iS that i bought in ​May 2020.
    Being my 3rd E30 in general and my most 'unique' one yet.

Basic information about the car
    Colour: LAZURBLAU METALLIC (294)
    Upholstery: ÜBERKARO II ANTHRAZIT (0379)
    Type Code: AF91
    Body type: Coupe
    Model: 318IS (EUR)
    Steering: L
    Engine: M42
    Displacement: 1.80
    Power: 103 kW
    Drive: RWD
    Transmission: Manual
    Production Date: 1990-06

Options:
    L819A National Version Spain
    S199A Without Catalytic Converter
    S210A Dynamic Stability Control (ABS)
    S215A Power Steering, Variable Ratio
    S300A Central Interlocking, Electrical
    S350A Tinted Glass Green
    S410A Front Electric Window Lifter Regulator
    S510A Headlight Adjustment Low Beam Light
    S530A Air Conditioning
    S680A Radio Antenna, Manual
    S687A Radio Pre-wiring
    S850A Additional Tank Filling For Export
    S958A Wiring Loom Extra Check

Extra options added afterwards:
    S288A BMW light alloy wheel, cross spoke 29
    S320A Deleted Model Lettering
    S556A Ambient Temperature Sensor
    S675A BMW Sound System
    S682A Automatic Radio Antenna (Hirschmann)
    S690A Casette Holder
    -------- OEM M-Tech 2 Front Bumper & Valance
    -------- OEM M-Tech 2 Rear Bumper
    -------- OEM M-Tech 2 Spoiler
    -------- OEM Pfeba Aerodynamic Side Skirts
    -------- Alpina VDO Digital Vent Gauges Reproduction
    -------- Z3 1.9 Gear Lever (Shortshift)

About me & the car:

My name is Pieter, i'm a 24-year old Belgian that has been intrigued by cars since i was very young. I have been driving cars since i was 17 years old.
    Fascinated by the '80's & '90's it was needless to say that i would love to own and drive a car of this period.
    So my car adventure began in september 2017. I bought my first project car, a '94 Land Rover Defender 110 300 Tdi. In the 4 months i owned it i went for a couple of offroading sessions but i did not like the harsh abuse the car had to endure.
    I prefered to take care of my precious possesions. So i sold the car december 2017 and made a bit of profit.

In the month of march 2018 i bought my first E30. A 1990 BMW E30 318i M40 Convertible in Brilliantrot with 145.000 km. The car allready had endured some optical mutilation (personal taste) but when looking beyond all the ugly frill it was a technical good car.
    So i learned to work on this car. (servicing, brake discs & pads, suspension,...). I took the car back to it's former glory (original BMW Style 5 15 inch wheels, original exhaust, removal of some hideous parts...)
    The car has been very reliable for me the last 2 years. It never let me down. But because there was not much to do on this car after a couple of months i decided to get another E30. I still own this E30 to this day.

In March 2019 i bought myself my second E30, A 1988 BMW E30 320i M20 Touring in Diamantschwarz. This car only had 86.000 km but needed some basic servicing and beautification. I had been parked for a couple of years under a tree and needed some love.
    Long story short, I sold the car after some work in December 2019 and made some profit on it.

In March 2020 (i start to see a pattern here ) i began searching for another project. Because of the Corona-Virus/Covid-19 we were put on technical unemployment. And to fill in the time i began searching for a 318iS. I found a car in Spain after a couple of days but it almost looked too good to be true. An original 318iS with original M42 engine, 206.000 km and equipped with some rare original M-Tech pieces. I checked out similar offers and made some calculations. I had never imported a vehicle from abroad and the pandemic didn't make it any easier. At first my plan was to visit the seller in Spain when the lockdown was over. But this was going to take ages and i did not want to risk to lose this car. So i decided to buy the car after a thorough inspection (over 200 pictures and video files). The seller was an absolute wonderfull & patient guy.
    About a month & a half after i first laid eyes on the online ad, the car was parked on my driveway.

It was not a new car by any means. But an almost rustfree example with some basic things that needed some work. Perfect for a guy like me.

I will try to update frequently when i do some work on my car. In the meantime, if any of you have any questions about the car, please ask.

My 318iS:
    Click image for larger version  Name:	3NjbVgppnRYzmw2l1FzDEG9kqjGaagp9qblGfCsqzZm-XoJRqFHlv8nCLZqtvMUis7FfAvTPShvLUYYXPNPDyOvTu7bZQqVvpBXgmgwJhDLcJieHlGGTlklpt7Z0vIYmqTzUqtiHKCab0ca497rc3ZkkD0iM2mPKk92BNvH1SjwAxCi8O0Uh2Fa7PtV_WNAHN3J98GTutbg4CkZn8JOf26PnlZnTfqxb-0ksEMAJ-b6lXVfP7LTlPVPYIOX0nBb Views:	64 Size:	76.5 KB ID:	9959965

My 318i Convertible:
    Click image for larger version  Name:	_qWkz4AVZPPbMnfCbqJNcfOtgO3xBKl0UVzoPXRN2QSgwLlozgORACPvEQi4nc9ZFAE-rdiyiodNrvG9BY2WEMw10FNTr4eKmWury8cmT26I5CIiRXRFCvqVR1pQfN3VqYXD7kh3Qn42Buho3L9E1zPZ4epiG8-aUkGyjL8SAMguR4aegPCTabl8w2Phn1CZI-qYOyze8vzTpXL6gyrrtxT6BajSpdIiCrpsYhHT5I3SgksetbuILcOUhJhoXBP Views:	46 Size:	79.6 KB ID:	9959966

My 320i Touring (sold):
    Click image for larger version  Name:	yAROvPklRHANsGwa11GaPdFUaZfilIi5So-MXim6zCYLlaAVkJafifYB0pYG5Md19v96A4TQxeohTPqLwn0WTacsKu9N555usYNFfUqDPvh4L8VzHG2CL-YyPm4GicnAyq88_BcQxXeR6YUV8Ov6rqR8rrEcjLu15C_xQBZ2cxKatFpzpTungvPp091Q63zpmLZ4AmE_8Z1yL09vou5nr0U3NwTRwe9HnZvdPKFdy3-WDB0-tbHnq-WuEEFxR7v Views:	48 Size:	70.3 KB ID:	9959967
    Belgian E30 Driver
    /
    //
    1990 - E30 - 318i Cabriolet Brilliantrot
    /// 1988 - E30 - 320i Touring Diamantschwarz (Sold)
    /// 1990 - E30 - 318IS Coupé Lazurblau

Check out my Rare BMW Music Edition Cassettes Topic

Wow! Beautiful E30s! The 318is looks fantastic. Any interior shots?

Comment

Originally posted by mike.bmw View Post
      Wow! Beautiful E30s! The 318is looks fantastic. Any interior shots?
      Hi Mike, thanks for the kind words.

I attached some interior shots, not the best i made but they do the trick. At this moment i'm searching for an original BMW Bavaria Radio to install. There was an Alpine (not Alpina) radio system installed in the car, but i was not very happy with the way it looked. Also attached a picture of my "piece de resistance", the VDO Alpina Gauge reproduction. Very proud of this partl!

At the moment i only changed the steering wheel to an original M-Tech 1 385mm wheel. And installed these aftermarket but classy looking black fitted carpets to protect the original carpet.

Click image for larger version  Name:	DAKazrXa2jg-RPpag7y2tmbA_kfZh9ttU34BruBx0SqhF-0U7wIecDHoqBUhcFLEbzqsQCwJHzZRzKhamGpngzG8FOGY1wsP  FUbrft6msMkv1rJ_OP_-jyWLQ1dZKzMbdcfTIsar3DBMYxMxkW--xnQBZ3625G2Jm1ig0-6AL4czTgCrQy_0ZzKHBCgakQ0wvspESER4UufqWfLAHTwj0hkc  wO2On_y6jfP6Gx0KqnkCfCB6XijFHOWiMK0S4OX Views:	0 Size:	52.6 KB ID:	9959975
      Click image for larger version  Name:	c9O2GOAsAjBNY37tq2VY7nG1S97T1ClWLJMYveJP8hZ  A3U_jVau7uoLX32oVq_eYu4t6XyAAn64-QscKdVwPpr8Pc6q5fbbsByqMhqFl-f3Lh5veiI04NkZypzOZPJ4FvfSraf3KR5k2u4RHdUUV0ZGGxS9  AtiFluK1WCWmjXb-2aysOp3WwgkS4O9xbn-GUbLWD5DMS_oyGZayZCWX4KHnHm-1c686V_ZtaflKMQMPmsET8If-OCH5ejNR1NBL Views:	0 Size:	50.3 KB ID:	9959976
      Click image for larger version  Name:	O2lGIT0Fi2Lx-j1d6cSh6dNmCctaDhfhpJf9NTx4Wq-_jJxtZNWeY_zAbe7rMj4RUQIOInTSan4QV84QlKD20TW_5kV7m  l76PzQUQMQbbWjNUEmi5X7AqMF60Hgdsw4y8Pyq1VYC3Zw-Z-dmAGAVpqQwd0wGOibalIOZeVwt3ND6feDTBg8WtTftLi4CxZiQ  AabY0Cw4Pf5RXRU59YZWYkVLJbNu6dPwjAZkC4ie22dHrEwPB6-uFIr7ub2wr0W Views:	0 Size:	55.1 KB ID:	9959977

This summer i installed a reproduction VDO Alpina Gauge. Very useful while driving to monitor different parameters.

ACHSE: Rear Differential Oil Temperature in °Celsius
      MOTOR(1): Engine Oil Temperature in °Celsius
      SAUGR.: Vacuum Pressure in bar
      MOTOR(2): Vacuum Pressure in bar

Click image for larger version  Name:	46qJdz7fktHwBd9ipERKMYLJmCOyT4xae8AhMLbA6-LuYWdy7kJF0ZwnZKlavaq0oMBbbXA3VgsG26b53W_gGrw3N1Pb  wLpelhU1dgq1Kw_q6lMQWWPeamTUTmidMcZnIoMKRsHxE3pUDV  YnLr3ehS7bhR2rVdo-GDCjLiYRE6Y5Gjmu8p9xymBIlhTcirphTFsNkcYBKunCJQefpD  54VfJNZBXE7kNguWeDsUQYqM7YPvZxnb35I6N08jOdLmK Views:	0 Size:	43.6 KB ID:	9959978

And a little extra sound clip to celebrate the start of this topic. Any reason is a good reason to post a sound clip :D

Belgian E30 Driver
      /
      //

Comment

This weekend i made the time to give the car its first compounding and polishing. I'm not a professional by any means.
        I just bought my first dual action polisher with some Rupes 3-stage bottle set. (Coarse, fine & ultrafine). Paintwork has seen better days. It has multiple deep scratches on the hood.
        So i put 2 days of work in it and sealed it of with a Wax coat.

Click image for larger version  Name:	UCtE1DXdC6uzT2NIimt68yWFzcrCREtwH1xBsE4PVgyECxXhmotwWVkHPb_c9LLbvr5RkRqGn_DKb0mv1JChW1aqdhPtHKjjg74dNCfbq753DZRnaTJVP3zdjrJWLUOHcMoYsjHDLs8zn8UIbqNFB7-Inue_plnIrflNjnOmnFzGLbJFZRJ9Zv6u8V0gGm3lJyV83WPcvLqFsdIexdgARsFRTi-qtgpx_984gTtn76uhfEIl94GzASvoBYD_i19 Views:	0 Size:	60.7 KB ID:	9960694

The difference is very noticable but it is nowhere near a perfect paintjob. I did not get the chance yet to look at it in the daylight because it has been raining for multiple days now.

Before: (looked like previous owner washed this car with sanding paper)

Click image for larger version  Name:	qF_w2NIUxcTXr4mdQ3gXlQs8VONKZZvx26dw9VylT6LUb-0Xau63JcTKQuXLijbH1SxQOFbFYcJ5TF7UuXebBNtYCEXGGsP4TwuqV6-dzYDGhi-63bGASpkVquVqqueqUFWV7k3IYU0NYpbtRpVG1M2MRaOUsJd7yRAlYWypwI2ziDCHwJONLF_f486uChSaICiuZCegHp2ZDZDPdXg4-jDUoVuVh1mEtnSzolReQIvAclMfV-Jz60qQlvnfvs2 Views:	0 Size:	48.8 KB ID:	9960691

After: (deepest scratches are still visible, but to get these removed i think wet sanding is needed.)

Click image for larger version  Name:	5l7eF3q6WQABRm6ZokTddQZXs95ehhxyXoK__xIXB8xODCW9XpmI91_Mr10nzgzraGCgO6ymGWeqvmbh7dl5k6cYjWCdgtiPDYewEIAMZ7KSXXLkn6ixgmim97VGhsSiVZ10tu9b8ClCbJK_AchH8J0Ddv0HEhqZQEPErCARteZjO99kzvUL4rXILYMj5Qf7mBtj2Setwo-fq0_4nqcjScD6GTvw0sfMpb36aGvlzlmCKYdVuyfs7N4mugIVEZE Views:	0 Size:	23.7 KB ID:	9960692Click image for larger version  Name:	N1NTi32UUH0pqTlPTAvaSAAFJ9GDdh9uDhCawCPsHBBCgjdVInQQksV-X8oPeePVH967qjBQbj1PByIiEpJVVf54mzBYdiWQaEMNYjVbjjcEm0Mu-xm__kn8z7QML7mVHdnv1QUTax8Nna5nneaH1PMcgsoem7lB6Pih3-nIbaPMksdx4QWahKLOzHoLZEWMruevWD98NUiVSiD2tozHLk2eQaxyPwpqKNg3M3LXukXfK1dqLTWott9lg0mVeUH Views:	0 Size:	32.7 KB ID:	9960693

Also tried my polisher on the rear lenses, i was suprised what a difference this made.
        (Left: just first stage compound, right: how they originally were.)

Click image for larger version  Name:	hVQUm80HYR7CZxUiJHZ_N_4GY4fgfWz5RWb9qKDjwBHNKwup5CofslbEW4OX5STW9Z1fooSMe9RJGvKNETBve3tPhFozoKyndxzX86LMG2i03V4C5D3F1yooh1Fh_CErRC-MVmQfOswR4yyVY82MoJB8eTeHLdR6eOHDuofI2kFp5tmEToqCvi3YqWNg5J4mYxeG-dSwqYfSPe1UuvMW6RhGmrzusH7w4ggaf0rnI2hOPLhvhieGo3Mb0cLriR0 Views:	0 Size:	52.0 KB ID:	9960695

In the meantime i also received my new oil seals for my spare gearbox i have laying around. When driving i have this rather metallic noise coming from the drivetrain.
        I can't seem to figure out if it was the gearbox, CSB or differential. I found this gearbox for a price i could not resist so got it. Maybe i'll swap it out to see if the noise comes from my old gearbox.
        If it's not the gearbox, well than i have an M42 318is gearbox in spares. In the EU the 318is (M42) cars are quite rare in comparison to the normal 318i (M40) cars. So it doesn't hurt to keep your own personal stock of these parts.

I'll post pictures when changing the oil, seals and cleaning.

In the meantime trying to figure out how i can attache more than 5 pictures in one post. Anybody that can help me? Thx!
        Last edited by PieterVN; 11-19-2020, 10:50 AM.
        Belgian E30 Driver
        /
        //

Comment

Great detailing work. The reproduction gauge is super cool. I've seen that on one other R3V member's ride ( D.Martijn) and I'd love to get one at some point. Was it fairly easy to hook up to the M42 or did it require new sensors to be added?
          Last edited by mike.bmw; 11-17-2020, 05:43 AM.

Comment

Nice work on the paint correction, looks a lot better! Also the rear lenses, major difference

mike.bmw It's such a cool extra, it should be fairly straight forward to install, the kit includes every additional sensor needed.
            If I recall correctly Pieter needed a new oil filter housing lid/cover to house the extra sensors for oil temp and pressure.
            1990 325iX Touring - November 2018 R3V Car Of The Month

1980 Volkswagen Golf mk1 1.1
            1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by mike.bmw View Post
              Great detailing work. The reproduction gauge is super cool. I've seen that on one other R3V member's ride ( D.Martijn) and I'd love to get one at some point. Was it fairly easy to hook up to the M42 or did it require new sensors to be added?
              Hi Mike, thanks! I also have a weak spot for this cool gadget. Martijn and me met for the first time this summer through mutual friends and i was so impressed by his gauge that i ordered it myself a couple of months later.
              Multiple reasons made this attractive to me, the fact that i can measure oil pressure and oil temperature anytime and the car still retains it 'period correct'-look. Also the guy who builds these did a price promotion for a short amount of time...D.Martijn made me do it .

The installation is super easy, the gauge comes with a complete set of sensors, wires and hose for vacuum pressure.
              You'll have to drill a hole behind the gauge to run all the cabling through and to the bulkhead. For installation i went with the oil filter housing lid that has 2 x M12x1.5 plugs, one i used for the M12 oil temp sensor and the other one i used for the oil pressure 1/8NPT with an adapter piece.
              If you ever decide to order one, i made a small summary of adapters and where i connected them.

Sensor (specs) Adapter piece Attaches to
              Oil Temperature M12x1,5 - M12 x 1,5 Oil Lid cover
              Oil Pressure 1/8 NPT 1/8NPT to M12x1,5 M12 x 1,5 Oil Lid cover
              Differential Temp M12x1,5 Included in the kit Lower diff plug
              Vacuum pressure Hose attaches directly to gauge unit T-Piece included in the kit Fuel pressure regulator hose

Simple DIY task, only remarks i would make is that i did not know beforehand that i needed a different oil filter cover and the adapter piece for the NPT thread. This was not clearly mentioned on the site at the time.
              Also oil temp jumps quite a bit because the sensor is on top of the filter housing. So its not soaked in oil but i gets some gulps of oil over itself.
              So to make it real precise it should be mounted somewhere on the block or on the drain plug, but the drain plug makes it quite for delicate for damage.

But still i would definitely recommend it. It makes me more relaxed to drive and brings me ease of mind.

Originally posted by D.Martijn View Post
              Nice work on the paint correction, looks a lot better! Also the rear lenses, major difference

mike.bmw It's such a cool extra, it should be fairly straight forward to install, the kit includes every additional sensor needed.
              If I recall correctly Pieter needed a new oil filter housing lid/cover to house the extra sensors for oil temp and pressure.
              Thanks! I though so too, it's nowhere near perfect. But it is such an improvement over the unpolished, sanded and scratched paint that it used to be.
              Another thing that i can remove from my to do list. Also you're exactly right about the lid.
              Belgian E30 Driver
              /
              //

Comment

PieterVN , fantastic information. Thank you!

Comment

Today i did some small things on my car & spare gearbox.
                  First thing i did was clean my gearbox with just a wire brush. I did not need a factory fresh look, but i need to get all the grime and oily dirt gone.

Personally i think it allready quite an improvement in comparison with the previous pictures. Only thing i was thinking is that i really want some kind of parts washer. Would be even better.

Out came the input shaft flange. I tapped out the old seal, and replaced it with the new Elring seal. This was actually my first time ever that i replaced an oil seal.
                  Getting them out went pretty smooth without damaging any parts. Also tapping in the new one by using my 32mm socket went just the way i wanted it. I took my time because i did not want to damage the new seal by butchering it in crookedly.

When installing this flange i did not use any kind of sealant. Is this the correct way to go? There was no paper seal or fluid kind of sealant in before.
                  I guess this big shim also works as some kind of 'seal'? Also the small aperture seems to supply gearbox oil to the input bearing. I was kind of afraid that by putting some fluid sealant this would start getting in the oil.

Please give me your advice or opinion. Gearbox is not in the car yet, so i can still easily apply some sealant if needed.

Then i started on the selector shaft seal. Not as easy to get out because it being so small. One of my friends told me to just let the old seal in and just tap the new seal into it. There should be enough place to get both seals in.
                  To be fair i'm not really a fan of this method. I prefer doing it correct. So i tapped in my smallest screwdriver. The seal crumbled into pieces.. I just kept tapping and eventually i got it out. Installed the new one and was very happy.

New oil seal installed. When cleaning the shifter rod coupling i found all this oily, spungey kind of dirt inside of it. I cleaned it out. Seams that originally there is some type of 'spunge' installed?
                  I did not feel any difference in the coupler movement with or without this substance in it.

I did not get to the output shaft oil seal yet. I do not have the 30mm socket yet. This one i need to clear the shaft itself.
                  I was also missing the 17mm alan key to remove the sump and filler bolt on this gearbox. My cousin had one laying around so went over there to get one. If i reinstall these bolts do i use some kind of sealing product or do i just put them on?

After cleaning a bit i did find some goodies in my box of goodies. I still have some new gearbox mounts laying around that i ordered for my convertible but did not end up installing.

When visiting my cousin to get the alan key my uncle and him tried some of their Bumper & Trim conditioner on my plate filler and window trim. Turned out pretty good.
                  They gave me a small bottle to finish of the complete car. Nice to see the car in the daylight after being fully polished and with the trim reconditioned. It was the first time i saw the car in the daylight after my compounding and polishing work of previous weekend.
                  My cousin also bought himself a nice E30 318i 2-door a couple of weeks ago, i went by to polish a part of his bonnet/hood. In the next weeks we will try to get the car fully polished..

Picture of the car to end this post. .
                  I love the look of the fresh polished taillights with the reconditioned black plate filler.

Last edited by PieterVN; 11-21-2020, 03:35 PM.
                  Belgian E30 Driver
                  /
                  //

Comment

Great looking car.

In case you want to replace the foam in the shift coupling, the p/n is: 25111434194

I don't know that it makes a difference in feel, but it does help keep that assembly tight and likely is only for stopping any rattles from the pin to coupler interface.

MJ

Comment

Originally posted by mjweimer View Post
                      Great looking car.

In case you want to replace the foam in the shift coupling, the p/n is: 25111434194

I don't know that it makes a difference in feel, but it does help keep that assembly tight and likely is only for stopping any rattles from the pin to coupler interface.

MJ
                      Hi MJ, thanks.
                      Yeah, i'll probably end up ordering the foam. It makes sense if you tell me about the rattling etc..
                      Thanks for the information!
                      Belgian E30 Driver
                      /
                      //

Comment

I've seen some people replace that foam with rubber before for something a little stiffer.
                        Originally posted by priapism
                        My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
                        Originally posted by shameson
                        Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

This week i bought an original working Blaupunkt BMW Reverse RDS Radio. It's on its way from Germany to Belgium.
                          I'm also in contact with somebody to buy a OEM NOS NLA E30 speakerset.

I've made an offer on an original Alpina 380mm 4-spoke wheel and 2 convertible sport seats.
                          The guy that sells the steering wheel is not reachable, no phone and no response to my messages. Maybe he regretted advertising the wheel for almost close to nothing.

The other person that was offering the sport seats sold them to someone else. The leather was a pee-coloured yellowish tint of regret.
                          I was allready hoping for a nice reupholstery project with new leather covers but it'll have to wait untill i find myself a price correct set. It's a shame a couple of sport seats are hard to find in EU for an okay price.

When i ordered the radio i started thinking. I still have my convertible parked and i'm planning to sell it in the spring/summer of 2021. This car has a BC1 installed and premium sound system with tweeters on the doors. I'm tempted to pull all these cool parts and retrofit them to my coupe.
                          Also my convertible has a wiring harness for the heated seats but someone replaced these heated seats with non-heated ones in the past which leaves the wiring useless at the moment.

Should i take my BC1, Premium Sound System and Heated seat wiring and retrofit this to my coupe? I'll keep an eye out for leather seats to reupholster and it would be nice to install these heater pads afterwards.
                          I'm also interested in the 'Uberkaro' sport seat but people seem to be asking extravagant prices even for ripped up pairs.

On the left my Brilliantrot 318i M40 Convertible, middle my 318iS and on the right my buddy's Michiel his 318iS. He has these original tinted Hella Smilies installed, they are quite rare to have.
                          This week his car went to the body shop to get its IS-lip, mirrors and some other pieces colour matched. I think it will look great on this car. Gives it an extra sporty look.

A couple of weeks ago i had a nice day with some of my friends. We went for a drive in Zeeland (translates to Seacountry), The Netherlands. One of them took this cool picture.
                          From left to right: E30 318iS in Brilliantrot, E30 318iS in Lazurblau, E30 325i in Delphin Grau, 325i Coupe in ?Sterlingsilber? and 325i in Calypsorot.

Last edited by PieterVN; 11-25-2020, 10:26 AM.
                          Belgian E30 Driver
                          /
                          //

Comment

The weekend was filled with a bunch of fun things to do on the 318iS.
                            I brought my convertible to my garage at home and decided to pull some parts i would love to keep on my two-door. It's really enjoyable that these cars are just plug-and-play.
                            The things i did can be summarized in three steps.

1. 6-button OBC installation

I started by pulling the panel under the dash. Removing the gauge cluster, removing the OBC by pulling the front plate on the middle console. It's a pretty easy job.
                            After these things were removed just start tracing the wiring for the OBC. It connects to 4 different locations/plugs (OBC plug, gauge cluster plug, plug for the gong and the outboard temperature wiring loom.

I removed al the sticky, tacky, gross cloth tape and rewrapped it with new fresh cloth tape. Better than new.

Temp sensor before and after cleaning

Fresh wrapped wiring loom. The yellow connector goes in the back of the gauge cluster, green in the OBC, black to the gong and white to the temp wire.

I also cleaned the temp sensor loom. This is wrapped in a heat shrink type of material, so no need to replace that. It still looked nice and had no damages.

Then i just pulled the temperature sensor from the brake cooling duct in the front of the car. Traced the loom, gave it a clean and installed all these things on the IS.
                            When installing the OBC wiring loom back in the IS, i tried following the original routing to keep it as original looking as possible.

It just a couple of months ago that i changed the screen on this unit. That's also one of the reasons i like to keep this one over the Euro Clock.
                            Everyone that has a failing screen i really suggest getting the repair kit from Gearworks/Partsworks in Germany.

Hmm, i love the look of the repaired screen.

2. Premium Sound Speakers installation

Second thing i did was check the BMW Premium sound system on my car. In the past someone remove the original BMW Amplifier and just put in a headunit without an amplifier.
                            Meaning these are just the Premium speakers running straight from the HU. That's why i decided to pull these parts and install them in my coupe. I ordered some OEM NOS speakers for the convertible to put in to replace the premium set.

I got the Premium speakers out because they have the crossovers built in which you need to run the tweeters. I read that if you do not run a crossover system you have the chance of blowing up the tweeters.

Taking the parts from the convertible was easy. Installing them in the other were...also pretty straight forward. I just had to remove the doorcard and get the tweeter wires hooked up. Otherwise all was plug and play. Same colourcoding, same everything. Easy peasy lemon squeezy..
                            Only thing i'll have to do is plug on some new flat connectors. Someone put on these round connectors on one of the tweeters.

The tweeters on the left door were just plug and play. I had to loosen the wires and run them to the top of the door.

Lovely:

Speakers in the back will be installed next weekend. I allready pulled them from the donor car.

3. Seat heating wiring loom restoration.

This was by far the most frustrating job of the weekend. Every job that needs the carpet to be removed is such a PITA. I just lifted the back of the carpet. Traced and pulled (read yanked) the wires. All came out after some cursing, sweating and meditation.
                            Same as the wiring loom for the OBC i cleaned the wires and put on new cloth insulation tape. Everything is ready to install. I just need to find some sport seats with seat heating. I think i will allready install the center console with the heater buttons. I like the look of a full option car even the heater is not attached

The seat heating harness, what a sticky piece of...I started peeling it and and rewrapped it. Before picture:

Covered in little pieces of carpet insulation..

To clean the wiring of their stickyness i use a product called HG Stickeroplosser. (translates to stickerremover). Very effective

And voila, after picture. I really like redoing these. It such a difference and i really got the hang of it. If you put the loom under tension while wrapping them it goes quite easy.

I did not receive my BMW Reverse headunit yet, but it should arrive this week. I can't wait to see how the dash will look when everything is fitted.
                            In the next couple of weeks i'll start recording some casette tapes to keep in my car. I think i'll go with one of the playlists from my BMW Music Edition Topic (check my signature to find out all about these rare BMW OEM Cassettes).

To be continued

Extra photo of the cars as a reward to those who read to the end.

Belgian E30 Driver
                            /
                            //

Comment

A brief update on parts i received and small jobs i did.

6 x NOS NLA 65 13 1 370 834 Speakers. (4 for me and 2 for my nephew)

My period correct BMW-Blaupunkt Reverse RDS Radio in mint condition. I was very happy to receive it in 100% working condition. But i figured out quickly that i neede a new connector to hook up this system to my original wiring loom.
                              So i ordered a female BMW radio connector to DIN adapterpiece. I will be cutting the DIN connectors and soldering the rest of the adapter into my wiring loom to get the original connector back in my car.
                              I ordered this connector 4th of december only to get a message that my part will be delivered at earliest the 26th of december..

Also when i received the radio i was bummed that it did not have the cover pieces to cover the holes needed when you want to remove the unit. So i contacted my friend Martijn and asked if he could help me with 3D printing these parts.
                              So i started searching for a 3D-file for this piece. He printed a couple of pieces for me to testfit and adapt to fit my radio. I sanded the pieces to fit nicely, now i only need to fill them to get the printing lines out and respray them in matt black.
                              This is still on the to-do list. But allready a big shout out to Martijn for helping out! I you don't know him allready check out his big topic on his 325ix Touring. Lot's a pictures and cool information, definitely worth the read and checking out.

The 3D-printed part.

I labelled all my wiring in my dash to make the installation of the connector easier and faster. What a mess...

I also gave my brake discs front and back a new coat of Zinc coating. To stop them rusting. This is a nice neat little trick to keep your rotors cleaner looking.
                              Also one of the things Martijn taught me

Before:

After:

I also wanted to install some original speakers in the rear parcel shelf. Problem was: previous owner butchered the shelf by cutting huge holes for somekind of oval shaped speakers. But wait...even worse he even cut op the metal shelf itself..

So after some thinking how this could be repaired i figured i didn't want to spend much time on repairing these ugly holes. I would just repair the 'hardboard' shelf. PO recoverd the shelf with a nice fitting cloth cover, but just put it above the old cloth...
                              I pulled the old brown-stained cover and started repairing as much as i could. After all i'm quite happy with my first recovering job. I'll let the pictures do the talking.

The finished product at the moment. I ordered some OEM BMW Speakers covers from Germany. If i receive these i will cut some holes to get an original looking parcel shelf with the basic speaker set up.
                              i must say this is was a very fulfilling job to do. Can't wait to install the speakers and get it my in my car. I will be so happy if i can my my Phil Collins cassette trough my new old speaker system.

Belgian E30 Driver
                              /
                              //

Comment

Working...
                              X