The Super Nuova...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Super Nuova...

Alright boys and girls. Ahh who are we kidding, there are no girls here.

Its time. Another project car... will this one stay? Only time will tell. Place your bets now. Friends and Family have most money on less than 2 years. Im hoping this one stays a LOT longer. Unlike most of the other cars, Ive wanted a Giulia Super for a while. If you look at the Alfa Romeo thread you'll see some of my older posts discussing that... anyways, I have one now.

Allow me to officially introduce my 1975 Alfa Romeo Giulia Nuova Super 1300. Quite a mouthful. I'll just call it my Giulia. For those that dont know, the Nuova was a 74-77 update on the Giulia that dates back to as early as 1964, maybe earlier.

This one was actually on my radar when it popped up for sale in Sacramento in 2019 and I tried to trade my E30 straight up for it, but the seller didnt go for it. It had some rust advertised and being that I couldnt see it in person, a deal was never made. It sold and went to Berkeley where the owner wanted to address the rust himself, but ended up sidelined by rebuilding the leaky carbs... and then BaT got him. He bought another Giulia.

This one never officially popped up for sale, but those who helped vote on the next money pit might remember the 64 Ti. I paid an Alfisti (Andrew Watry) to go see that car and inspect it for me. The news wasnt good and the seller was even worse than the condition of the car. I still hadnt given up on it though, I needed to see it in person. I told Andrew this and thats when he mentioned this car to me. I arranged to go see both cars and though I didnt intend on buying either car, I figured a willing seller and cash in my pocket might change things. Keep in mind, I already had begun making plans to buy a sweet 996.2 with a 4 Liter Raby motor. The Porsche 911 was going to be the next car... until it wasnt. Seeing the 64 showed me just how good the 75 actually was. The seller, John, was also great so after about an hour, we shook hands and he took my money. He still needed to install the carbs and I got the TZ Replica wheels and brand new 175 Vredestein tires as part of the deal.

So yesterday, I flew up to Oakland, took the BART to Berkeley and took my first ever drive of an Alfa Romeo. That first drive was 423 miles down the 101, in 100 degree weather pushing an indicated 130kmh, likely closer to 75mph though. Car ran flawlessly and I have to thank both the seller John and Andrew for helping me to get it home in one piece.

Ok, tired of reading? Good, Im tired of typing. On to some pics.

A few pics from the original ad in 2019

The pics john sent me with the new wheels installed... MUCH better!

I took a bunch of pics on the drive, but these ones at a Vista Point near Santa Barbara were my favorite

and now shes home. Let the shenanigans begin!

So, whats the plan? Well... the motor ran great so I will stick with it for now. The suspension, not so much. Luckily I already spent thousands on Alfaholics suspension upgrades. I also have a few other cosmetic upgrades/ changes planned so all of that will keep me busy until I deal with the rust myself, but I may outsource that. We'll see... After all that, the car will keep a powerplant upgrade.

Stay tuned!
    Simon
    Current Cars:
    -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Chefs kiss
    How bads the rust? Old Italian cars arent know for their sturdiness....

Comment

Originally posted by amcp View Post
      Chefs kiss
      How bads the rust? Old Italian cars arent know for their sturdiness....
      The passenger side rocker and the rear driverside panel, all the way at the back.

The plan is that once the suspension is installed, Im going to have Dorian of DV Mechanics do an alignment for me and while its there we will make a decision on the severity of the rust. I plan to buy the replacement metal panels from Classic Alfa, but not sure on if/when and who will do the work.
      Simon
      Current Cars:

Comment

Those wipers are cool. Congrats on the new whip!
        sigpic

Comment

have you started a curse jar yet
          cars beep boop

Comment

what your wife say?

Comment

Originally posted by kronus View Post
              have you started a curse jar yet
              Not yet, Im sure its coming...

Originally posted by efficient View Post
              what your wife say?
              "Good you're home. The trash needs to be taken out" ... or something like that
              Simon
              Current Cars:

Comment

A little traumatized from the rust repair video you posted in the alfa thread, but congratulations nonetheless haha
                Originally posted by priapism
                My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
                Originally posted by shameson
                Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Good looking blueberry

Instagram: Reichart12

Comment

Look sweet! Hopefully the rust isn't too crazy. I've come to terms with the irreparability of my alfetta and if I get it running I'll just enjoy it until it fades away in a rusty cloud.
                    84 325e - 91 325i - 92 318 touring - 91 Trans Am - 01 S4 avant - 03 S-type R - 96 F350
                    Manual swap all the things!

Comment

Doesn’t look like the googly eye is going to work the way I want it to look... sorry guys
                      Simon
                      Current Cars:

Comment

Today there was a Fancy car parade in Beverly Hills and I took my Dad and my brother in the Giulia. Saw a Ferrari 250 GTO, Maserati Birdcage and plenty others. Cleaned up the car a little in anticipation of it getting some attention.

Later in the day I used my “it’s Fathers Day and I can do whatever I want” card to go play in the garage for a little. Slowly, I’m starting to make the changes I want to do. High on the list is to finish the back-date up front and Andrew provided me with some used early style Altissimo bumper lights. Not “plug-n-play” and I had to cut and drill into the front valence but it was definitely worth it. Still have the other side to do, but since I only have one gasket/ boot, I haven’t started the other side yet. Hoping to get another gasket and finish it up this week.

Simon
                        Current Cars:

Comment

The lights are a huge improvement, but no plans to have a bumper?

Comment

that does look way better
                            Originally posted by priapism
                            My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
                            Originally posted by shameson
                            Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post
                              The lights are a huge improvement, but no plans to have a bumper?
                              I have the original Nuova front bumper. It wont work as-is, and I have a plan but we'll see if that will work out. I can install an earlier bumper, but its not as slim as the Nuova bumper so it would only look right if I do both bumpers, which I have no plans to do.

Basically its either no front bumper or the adapted Nuova one. That project is lower on the list.
                              Simon
                              Current Cars:

Comment

Working...
                              X