Half E30, All Ugly - a 318ti story

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Half E30, All Ugly - a 318ti story

The 318ti forum sucks and I missed R3V, so heres my ugly duckling.

1998 318ti with too many miles as it sits today. This became my only car and my daily commuting vehicle. A special kind of stupid reserved only for bmw owners. I've put about 30k miles on it since May of 2021

Bought it just outside Pittsburgh but theres zero concerning rust, just some surface rust on underside parts. Was bone stock before I got it besides a cone filter and one of those BS resistive coil AFM fooling things. Removed that and bought an OE airbox to replace the cone filter...thats about it for "engine mods".

Rewind a year and this is it the day that I bought it

Immediately began taking off the random crap, this was a cheesy garbage quality backlit BMW emblem.

Cleaned it up

The interior was really the part I was concerned about when I saw the ad, I couldnt believe that it looked this nice having the mileage it had.

Installed my lukebox from my old E30. Benefit of sharing a rear suspension setup with an E30 is that it slotted right in like it was built for the car.

Few months later and its subframe time. I had installed new bilstein sports prior to this.

Also installed a medium case 3.73 limited slip during this job

My car was super goddamn high and looked ridiculous. Also had picked up some ET20 16x8 Mille Miglias somewhere between subframe and here.

So I put it on H&R sports

Had the wheel bearings and axles out last weekend to replace my parking brake shields of all things.

Also installed E30 medium case output flanges on my 3.73 and installed medium case e30 inner cv ends onto my 318ti axles.

Its a neat car, more e30 than e36. But its so incredibly goddamn slow. Looking at getting some sort of m52/54 into it soon. Maybe looking to add some more front camber as its sort of lacking in that department, not decided yet if ill do camber plates or just try to get it sorted with shims
    Last edited by Chinampa; 07-26-2022, 12:44 PM.
    - 90 325is

Also, longshot but if anyone knows who owns this car now please lmk. It was most recently sold from the Norfolk/Newport News area in VA to somewhere in NC (i think.) engine was removed and the last owner backed into the drivers side fender before selling it. 1990 325is brilliantrot over black sport interior, kosei k1, had an m50nv, zf5, and 3.25S when i sold it.

Has a large euro toolkit in the trunk and a mediocre brilliantrot respray. Bilstein sports and h&r races. was sold last a couple months ago as far as i know

its probably been stripped but worth a shot!
    - 90 325is

Comment

Thanks for posting, I love a good build thread.

I don't think I've ever seen an 318ti interior before!
      I believe the center console & dash are unique to the model, with elements of both E30 & E36 blended together.

It is definitely ugly, but sometimes that makes it endearing. I feel that way about my E28 with Euro headlights but giant US spec diving boards.

Was that factory suspension height? Looks taller then the average picture on google images.

Comment

Originally posted by Panici View Post
        Thanks for posting, I love a good build thread.

I don't think I've ever seen an 318ti interior before!
        I believe the center console & dash are unique to the model, with elements of both E30 & E36 blended together.

It is definitely ugly, but sometimes that makes it endearing. I feel that way about my E28 with Euro headlights but giant US spec diving boards.

Was that factory suspension height? Looks taller then the average picture on google images.
        If you're referring to the pic where I mention it being way too tall, I think that was right after it came down off the jack so it was sitting a little higher than usual. But yeah, thats stock. It looked ridiculous with the mille miglias on it lol

- 90 325is

Comment

Love it. Glad to have you back!... I've always had a weird chubby for the 318ti... still rocking the M44?
          Simon
          Current Cars:
          -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
            Love it. Glad to have you back!... I've always had a weird chubby for the 318ti... still rocking the M44?
            For now. I'd really like to put an M52 or an M54 in but since its my only vehicle at the moment it'd be difficult to find the time to do it. Can't complain about 30-35mpg in a 25 year old car though.
            - 90 325is

Comment

The 318ti's are great cars. We have a dedicated race series in the UK, The Compact Cup, that specifically uses E36 ti's.

Plus compacts with an M52 fitted, go very well from experience.

Comment

Nice - I've actually always liked the look of the 318ti, particularly with the M3 kit.

e30ish handling, but easy upgrades due to 5 x 120 bolt pattern and a rear sump front subframe that means you can fit just about any modern BMW engine and brakes you like.
                My e30: OEM+ with M30B35

Comment

That interior is nice, carpet cleaned up well.
                  sigpic84 325e

Comment

Originally posted by RSlut View Post
                    The 318ti's are great cars. We have a dedicated race series in the UK, The Compact Cup, that specifically uses E36 ti's.

Plus compacts with an M52 fitted, go very well from experience.
                    I'm very jealous of how popular compacts are in the UK, I see m tech rear bumpers being sold for less than $100 lol. Here in the US that's at least $350-400

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    - 90 325is

Comment

Ok, something I've been trying to figure out for months is this noise in the back left corner of the car. It sounds like a knocking/clunking noise and I think you can vaguely feel it in the seat/floor. For some background, I've replaced pretty much every single part in the rear end. I've tried to jack up the left rear wheel and let it down to try and make the noise with no luck, driven around with no sway bar and it still does it, removed the rear shock and disassembled the assembly and everything looks fine...

I've asked a couple times on facebook pages but if you're here I think you know how useless that is

Replaced:
                      Subframe bushings (poly)
                      RTABs (poly)
                      CV shafts repacked and rebooted
                      Diff bushing (poly)
                      Wheel bearings
                      Parking brake backing plates
                      Parking brake hardware and shoes
                      Parking brake cables
                      Rear exhaust section
                      Hangers
                      Swaybar endlinks
                      Swaybar bushings
                      Shocks
                      RSMs

Nothing has seemed to fix it. I've attached a video on this post with a compilation of some recordings of the sound. It doesnt change with speed, it happens most over small bumps and when adding power after shifting gears or moving from a stop.

The rear suspension on a ti for those who dont know is pretty much exactly the same as an e30 so my hope is someone here has a clue as to what's causing it

video, sharing, camera phone, video phone, free, upload
                      Last edited by Chinampa; 07-27-2022, 09:39 AM.
                      - 90 325is

Comment

The spare tire can cause a similar clunk if not fully seated. Sadly, there are also inner bodywork wings in the quarter panels that can separate too.

This thread makes me miss my fairly standard 95 and S52 swapped 98 ti, which was a hoot.

Too bad the ti suffers so badly from E36 rust, but yours looks pretty good!

Comment

Also, just changed the oil and found this.

Nice
                          - 90 325is

Comment

Originally posted by Chinampa View Post
                            Also, just changed the oil and found this.
                            Nice
                            That's not so bad. One of the swaybar mounts on my E36 was literally half gone. Couldn't even bolt up a swaybar if you tried.
                            Did a quick and dirty box job that hasn't budged in almost a year. I imagine you'll be doing a nicer repair on your car. My E36 is RUSTY and not worthy of fine work.

Comment

Originally posted by Panici View Post

That's not so bad. One of the swaybar mounts on my E36 was literally half gone. Couldn't even bolt up a swaybar if you tried.
                              Did a quick and dirty box job that hasn't budged in almost a year. I imagine you'll be doing a nicer repair on your car. My E36 is RUSTY and not worthy of fine work.

How was access to it? It looks like I'll have to pull the AC compressor to get any sort of room to work on it.

Was tempted to have a shop handle it but everyone online says they got billed 5-7 hours of labor so around $1300-1400.
                              - 90 325is

Comment

Working...
                              X