No announcement yet.

Hoffbro's Brilliantrot Turbo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For the turbo to be the problem with excessively lazy response, it would have to be visibly damaged, such as a ground down turbine or compressor wheel, in the wrong turbine or compressor housing, or not rotating freely. I've never seen an undamaged turbo actually cause boost response problems unless it's just oversized, there's not much else that can go wrong with them. Leaking seals won't make them spool slowly and a leaking seal could be a drain issue, I don't remember what yours looks like but some turbos are more sensitive to it than others as I saw with my wagon vs my E30 when using the same drain flange. I don't know what size your turbine is but my turbonetics is also a 60 trim T3/T04E* and I make full boost quite a bit earlier, I can't remember how much earlier in 4th gear/during a sweep of a few hundred rpm/sec. But I also have an internal wastegate and terrible boost creep. I think your wastegate is causing the problem. Not sealing well, missing its seat, lifting prematurely because of a spring issue, etc. or there's an exhaust leak before the turbo. I think the power is a little low for 12psi, but not massively. If the engine is unmodified and made around 155whp NA, 272whp (1.75x155) is reasonable for 1.82atm manifold pressure. I'd check the wastegate for flow while not in boost to see if it's leaking.

*T04E compressor 60 trim - inducer: 58mm, exducer: 76mm, F1-57 turbine 65 trim - exducer: 57mm, inducer: 64.9mm​

IG @turbovarg
    '91 318is, M20 turbo
    [CoTM: 4-18]
    '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
    - updated 3-17

Comment

Bought a new oil drain fitting. Per varg suggestion the turbo was probably having problems draining oil. You can see a difference in the picture, new one on left, old one on right. Won't get me any performance gains but should help longevity and get rid of those high rpm puffs of smoke maybe.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20240413_124407.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	173.4 KB
ID:	10118374
      '90 325is

Comment

Take a peek at TurboSmart.com I just picked up a turbo oil regulator. I think you Varg and I have all been battling the same issue. (maybe) ?? Ive tried three different drains and restrictors and after my tuning session I still have a puff of smoke as well.

Worth a look at least. It regulates the oil pressure no higher than 40psi no matter the engine speed. The idea is without the pressure regulated you end up with too much volume in the turbo and oil gets past the turbo shaft into the compressor and turbine housings.

Turbo M42 Build Thread :Here
        Ig:ryno_pzk
        I like the tuna here.
        Originally posted by lambo
        Buttchug. The official poster child of r3v.

Comment

Originally posted by Dj Buttchug View Post
          Take a peek at TurboSmart.com I just picked up a turbo oil regulator. I think you Varg and I have all been battling the same issue. (maybe) ?? Ive tried three different drains and restrictors and after my tuning session I still have a puff of smoke as well.

Worth a look at least. It regulates the oil pressure no higher than 40psi no matter the engine speed. The idea is without the pressure regulated you end up with too much volume in the turbo and oil gets past the turbo shaft into the compressor and turbine housings.
          Yes I will add this to the list. Can't hurt anyway thanks! Just saving up for a tial wastegate hoping that will fix my lag issue.

I also want to get my exhaust manifold, exhaust turbine housing, and downpipe coated in Swaincoat's white lightning. It's getting hot in Phoenix already.

Some baseline numbers before the coating, after a little boosting...

'90 325is

Comment

Originally posted by Hoffbrohaus View Post
            Yes I will add this to the list. Can't hurt anyway thanks! Just saving up for a tial wastegate hoping that will fix my lag issue.

I also want to get my exhaust manifold, exhaust turbine housing, and downpipe coated in Swaincoat's white lightning. It's getting hot in Phoenix already.

Some baseline numbers before the coating, after a little boosting...

I used a turbo blanket for my giant VGT turbine - I can rest my hand (with a little discomfort) on the blanket after pulling into driveway (after a 500ft climb up the neighborhood over ~1.5 miles). I definitely wouldn't be able to do that with coating only. FWIW I did ceramic coat my exhaust manifold, using I believe the titanium satin coating from here: https://www.performancecoatings.com/exhaust-coating

this blanket is the one I'm using: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PFBE9CY

Comment

Working...
            X