89 Vert project

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • dirty30
    No R3VLimiter
    • Jul 2004
    • 3064

    #16
    Got everything stripped out including the body harness in its entirety. The donor car had what appeared to be a good passenger fender but when we took it off it had been hit pretty good and basically filled with mud. I took the passenger front fender that was caved in on the white car and started working out the dent. Got it pretty straight, need to work it along the body lines but it's coming out pretty nice.

    Comment

    • dirty30
      No R3VLimiter
      • Jul 2004
      • 3064

      #17
      Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4281.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	244.7 KB
ID:	10167398 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4280.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	236.3 KB
ID:	10167396 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4277.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	207.9 KB
ID:	10167397

      Comment

      • dirty30
        No R3VLimiter
        • Jul 2004
        • 3064

        #18
        One of the two worst spots was under the battery tray, interestingly enough the battery tray is fine and it was just the top layer of the frame rail. I fabricated a small patch for the frame rail and a small one for the firewall. The next project is the drivers rear inner seat mount then on to the passenger rear floor which is the worst rust on the car. We took everything but the doors to the painter to get started, the tub will go in about 3 weeks.

        Comment

        • Panici
          Moderator
          • Dec 2009
          • 2543

          #19
          I don't think I've seen a vert stripped down before. Interesting to see the chassis difference behind the rear seat.

          That driver's side floor pan looks better then I was expecting!

          Comment

          • dirty30
            No R3VLimiter
            • Jul 2004
            • 3064

            #20
            Its been a job taking this thing down to basically a tub but its so much easier to work in it like this and get it painted. I was surprised to see how much different these things are all over, alot more metal everywhere!

            Something must have made a nest on the rear of the passenger pan for it to rot like that, the rest of the car is pretty nice save for a few places under the rear seat which I will take care of after the fuel tank is pulled. Hoping this week I can round out the floor work then bang out the rear seat area.

            Comment

            • dirty30
              No R3VLimiter
              • Jul 2004
              • 3064

              #21
              Click image for larger version

Name:	Resized_20260927_131912.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	219.8 KB
ID:	10167422 Click image for larger version

Name:	Resized_20260928_110657.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	243.1 KB
ID:	10167423

              Comment

              • dirty30
                No R3VLimiter
                • Jul 2004
                • 3064

                #22
                Click image for larger version

Name:	Resized_20260929_113554.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	237.6 KB
ID:	10167588 Click image for larger version

Name:	Resized_20260930_125431.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	240.3 KB
ID:	10167586 Click image for larger version

Name:	Resized_20260930_121521.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	243.8 KB
ID:	10167587

                Comment

                • dirty30
                  No R3VLimiter
                  • Jul 2004
                  • 3064

                  #23
                  Trying to manage expectations and communicate paint details with a 70 year old body guy over the phone and text. I don't think he's ever done an old BMW before so it's a learning curve for him, especially the lower rocker area with the stone guard! Doesn't seem to understand why I would want that painted black! It's coming along though, have to catch up on the work to the floor and engine bay this weekend.

                  Comment

                  • dirty30
                    No R3VLimiter
                    • Jul 2004
                    • 3064

                    #24
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4327.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	193.2 KB
ID:	10167669 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4328.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	192.5 KB
ID:	10167668 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4329.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	235.5 KB
ID:	10167670 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4334.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	259.9 KB
ID:	10167667

                    Comment

                    • dirty30
                      No R3VLimiter
                      • Jul 2004
                      • 3064

                      #25
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4330.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	239.4 KB
ID:	10167674 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4331.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	178.5 KB
ID:	10167675 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4332.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	185.2 KB
ID:	10167673

                      Comment

                      • dirty30
                        No R3VLimiter
                        • Jul 2004
                        • 3064

                        #26
                        Started fitting the floor pan section, I'll probably have to cut off most of that lip under the rear seat and redo that area. Going to add a piece to bridge that gap between the tunnel and the new floor section too.

                        Comment

                        • dirty30
                          No R3VLimiter
                          • Jul 2004
                          • 3064

                          #27
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4333.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	231.4 KB
ID:	10167679 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4335.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	226.2 KB
ID:	10167678 Finished the drivers side and dressed the welds.

                          Comment

                          • Panici
                            Moderator
                            • Dec 2009
                            • 2543

                            #28
                            Looking good! Keep going.

                            Comment

                            • dirty30
                              No R3VLimiter
                              • Jul 2004
                              • 3064

                              #29
                              Oh yeah I should have that floor finished this weekend, I have to have the shell to the painter in 2 weeks. I'll work on priming and undercoating the repaired areas when its back from paint. I'll be doing the stone guard on the rockers too.

                              A side note- I'm surprised how thick the floor pans are on these, I've been repairing a floor on a Mercedes W115 and its been a chore welding the repair in. I'd imagine the e30 floor is a gauge thicker which is surprising considering they are both German and designed within a decade or so of one another.

                              In between welding I need to get the doors off, remove the guts and repair a dent on the passenger side so I can take them to paint.

                              Comment

                              Working...