Strict budget, slow restoration. *Now with moar budget*

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sooo

I decided to remove the front diving board (guts hanging out)
    I kind of like how it looks with the fogs on the bumper shocks :p

I got pulled over for no front plate (I had no bumper and no turn signals, but apparently no front plate was more of a safety hazard) so I ziptied it on
    Then I painted the bumper trim

Looks good though (I know the metal is still shitty, I just wanted to get it back on the car)

Compare to the rear one
    Last edited by Wh33lhop; 11-20-2016, 11:51 AM.

Comment

Alright, enough with that waffleswaffleswaffleswaffleswaffles make-it-pretty shit.

Oh herro

Front installation was easier than rear

I noticed one of the endlinks had slipped off the stock rear bar which explains some understeery behavior that I'd been experiencing... but on with pics

A HA, finally got it over the diff..

I didn't get a good pic of the bolt-on trailing arm reinforcements, but they're... interesting. My druthers would be for some weld-ins. But regardless, the sways handle great, even with stock suspension. Body roll is seriously cut down.
      Last edited by Wh33lhop; 08-25-2009, 12:02 AM.

Comment

You may have noticed my rear brakes are... a little overdue for a replacement... but I was still trying to figure out a diplomatic way to deal with the rotor set screw

I found it:

Took about 5 seconds, worked like a charm. I love you, $25 impact driver.

Bunch of filings showing the magnetic field from the wheel speed sensor, probably came mostly from the excessive metal-to-metal contact on that particular brake

All done

And some (but not all) of the other stuff I have to look forward to installing when the time is right. :D I've got a few more plans for this car before it will start to look any prettier.
        Last edited by Wh33lhop; 08-25-2009, 12:02 AM.

Comment

Anyway, as of now it's in good company, however dirty it may be.

Comment

Cool thread. I admire your willingness to do work out on the street. Im quite particular about my work environments.
            Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

Great work, seems to be coming along nicely.
              BMW Headlights ::

Comment

Originally posted by Wishno87 View Post
                Cool thread. I admire your willingness to do work out on the street. Im quite particular about my work environments.
                Honestly, I've got nowhere else to do it. I live in an apartment in a college town, you'll notice in some of those pics I'm actually parked on a red curb, but I've noticed people just think I'm broken down, so I can usually get away with it. :p

Comment

Originally posted by Wh33lhop View Post
                  Honestly, I've got nowhere else to do it. I live in an apartment in a college town, you'll notice in some of those pics I'm actually parked on a red curb, but I've noticed people just think I'm broken down, so I can usually get away with it. :p
                  Thats dedication right there.:) I think you should get a plate filler. It would give the back end some nice contrast.
                  Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

Trying my hand at some quick teaser style pictures (since I can't put 'em on yet)

DOF can make anything look cool.

Comment

Looking great so far. I envy your ability to work under less than ideal conditions.

I have a question, though. If you are shadowlining, why did you choose to leave the side molding accent chrome?

Comment

this is awesome, night work by flashlight, piece by piece. Great work.
                        sigpic
                        New website releasing soon www.gutenparts.com Guten Parts + Service | Facebook | Twitter

Levent
                        %20levent@gutenparts.com

Comment

Sounds like high school... Hard work and dedication! +). I await your progress. Keep it up. Definitely in good hands.

SINdelle:E36 M3 5-Lug | 17x8 & 17x9 BBS RS | S52/ZF | 2.93LSD/3.5HFM/24lb Injectors/C&S Chip[B]SOLD[B]

Comment

Originally posted by Wh33lhop View Post
                            Lol wheel hop. Looks like the entire rear of your car left the ground.

Nio är livets tal.

Comment

Originally posted by JMil86 View Post
                              Lol wheel hop. Looks like the entire rear of your car left the ground.
                              Yeah, that's what 5-10 year old (if not more) struts, rear strut mounts, trailing arm, diff and subframe bushings get you :p

There was some kid on a bike like 50ft behind me when I did that brakestand and took off. I could see him cheering through all the tire smoke. :D

Comment

Thanks for the comments and the interest! I've still got plenty more plans.

Today was a bit of a letdown.

I had planned to install all of this shit:

I separated the spindle ball joint (tore the fuck out of the boot) but couldn't get to the BITCH nuts (subframe) even with a swiveling socket wrench. I'm not sure how you get to them without raising the motor, which didn't work for me.

So I just wound up replacing the seized caliper with a Kragen rebuilt one. Didn't get a pic since I was pissed that I didn't get shit done besides rip a ball joint boot, figure out one of my tie rods is bent (from PO) and replace the brake. Still got a lot of shit on the to do list.

Then later I unloaded all my tools and shit from the car and cleaned it out, then for fun played with my friend's E46 325i auto. He's stock except for a dinan intake and chip, I've got a mark d clone and 19lb injectors, plus a blown head gasket. I left him once (in a bunch of white smoke :p), but the E30 is such a brick that it doesn't really stand a chance after you reach any real speed. I think I'd still pull out ahead for awhile if we went from a stop.
                                Last edited by Wh33lhop; 08-29-2009, 11:20 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X