No announcement yet.

Strict budget, slow restoration. *Now with moar budget*

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice driving. Are you getting any sort of fade with the PFC's? I don't think I remember seeing any ducting in your thread.

I have a guy here who can do your half-cage to your exact specs for an awesome price.
    Talking about a little more than Autopower money for a welded in DOM half cage with tower bracing, harness bar, and diagonal bars. LMK. Your car deserves it.

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

Originally posted by Wh33lhop View Post
      No, there is no slack with the Belleville.

Bellevilles, fully uncompressed are ~4.6mm thick when in the stack. I measured the thickness of the material to be about 2.5mm and therefore surmised that they could be compressed down to 2.5mm. So with Bellevilles there is no "slop" in the stack at all--the Belleville should be taking up all of the clearance, otherwise it is just acting as a 4.6mm spacer.
      I don't mean slack when i say clearance but rather if the bellvilles were compressed completely flat, 2.5mm, that would be the amount of gap left in the LSD capsule. It's really just a reference of how tight things are in the capsule and how much the spider gear pins will be aloud to move on the ramps.

Ramps would be great but again, totally cost prohibitive. I'll put that $450 towards safety and that is a no-brainer for me.
      I understand, i think you have your priorities straight for you application.

Like i said earlier, sorry if i come across as questioning your every move. That' not my intent. I just enjoy discussing LSD set up. Thanks again for posting pics and dimensions of that unsprung LSD. It's something i've been curious about for awhile.

Comment

Originally posted by ak- View Post
        Nice driving. Are you getting any sort of fade with the PFC's? I don't think I remember seeing any ducting in your thread.

I have a guy here who can do your half-cage to your exact specs for an awesome price.
        Talking about a little more than Autopower money for a welded in DOM half cage with tower bracing, harness bar, and diagonal bars. LMK. Your car deserves it.
        No fade so far! No ducting either, though I removed the backing plates in the front which helps.

I will weigh my options but when I do it I will likely use TC Design as they're local, very reputable and reasonably priced. Thanks for the offer dude.

Originally posted by tinkerputzer View Post
        I don't mean slack when i say clearance but rather if the bellvilles were compressed completely flat, 2.5mm, that would be the amount of gap left in the LSD capsule. It's really just a reference of how tight things are in the capsule and how much the spider gear pins will be aloud to move on the ramps.

I understand, i think you have your priorities straight for you application.

Like i said earlier, sorry if i come across as questioning your every move. That' not my intent. I just enjoy discussing LSD set up. Thanks again for posting pics and dimensions of that unsprung LSD. It's something i've been curious about for awhile.
        Nah I get it. I'm an inquisitive person as well, no worries at all.

Comment

Killed so much time at work reading this thread. I love the humble beginnings. You've enjoyed the shit outta that car in the last 6 years! Definitely inspirational stuff.

The faded hood and roof remind me of my old balticblau '84 e... Wish I didn't get rid of that one

Comment

Alright I barely ever update but I'm still chugging along with this car. Here's the latest!

Cameo with the black 2dr!

225/45 NT01 up from 205/50... hard to see here but there's some extra width

A word I never thought I'd use to describe this car: Clean.

Quick interior shot with the new Sparco Circuit HALO driver's seat and the old Recaro SPG put over into the passenger's seat.

And the beginning of the bitch that is the sunroof delete!

Ugh.

Fuck.

Done.

Here's the frame--the heavy part.

Comment

Turns out my sunroof panel was rusted, so I just grabbed another one from a junkyard and skinned it with an angle grinder. Here's the result... is it pretty, no. Does it seal, hell no. Do I care, not really.

The reason for the sunroof delete was a half cage was going in the car. Unfortunately the car stopped working at the next event (Thunderhill 5-mile) so I had to cancel the appointment.

I was a bit off my game for this event. I've driven both Thunderhill East and West, but wound up going off the first lap of the first session because I hadn't driven the connectors yet. Stupid stupid stupid. Not only did this dent my ego but I later found out it cracked my subframe, and halfway through the day the car stopped running and I'm still not sure why.

Damn.

Anyway, here's the one lap I managed to get data from, I was only able to run two and a half sessions before the car gave up the ghost. It's a 3:47 with a passenger and a big error, I recon a low 3:4x is very doable in this car if not a high 3:3x with some big balls around 1E and 8E.

Here's my buddy bimmerman325i's lap! Car is crazy, an S54 E36 with CSL airbox, E46 DSC/ABS, 4 wheel stoptechs etc etc... but he is still learning the track so I manage to scoot by him around 2/3 of the way through. Call it vanity, but it's cool to watch your car tear it up on track from a chase cam's view!

And that leads us to a nice external video of when my shit broke.

Comment

Then comes the tow back to the paddock.

Then the car gets a long tow back home.

Anyway, here are some pics from the track.

Now, time to fix it again! Thanks for reading, anybody who's reading!

I also realized it's been 6 months and I missed an event. Here's that video!

Comment

Just read through your whole thread, and I'm very inspired to say the least.
                  I'll be undertaking an m50 swap this month and this motivated me.

You are my hero.
                  1990 Alpine 325is
                  1992 Schwarz 325ic (sold)

Comment

That was a fun day. I feel like I had a much faster lap by the end of the day, but the data logger and gopro both had died at that point, so who knows really. That vid is of my fourth total lap on the 5 mile/west course, and my second total one without going in the pits, so I'm not entirely displeased by it.
                    Your car is faaaast.
                    Last edited by Bimmerman325i; 06-07-2016, 10:33 AM.
                    2017 Chevrolet SS, 6MT
                    95 M3/2/5 (S54 and Mk60 DSC, CARB legal, Build Thread)
                    98 M3/4/5 (stock)

Comment

any idea how much weight that sunroof cassette is? Ive read its around 30#? How light is the car now? Is it time for a rebuild or something else? decay is considering selling his aluminum M52TU
                      Simon
                      Current Cars:
                      -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

fix yer car yet?
                        cars beep boop

Comment

Originally posted by BECKSTER View Post
                          Just read through your whole thread, and I'm very inspired to say the least.
                          I'll be undertaking an m50 swap this month and this motivated me.

You are my hero.
                          Hey, thanks man! Best of luck, let me know how it goes!

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                          any idea how much weight that sunroof cassette is? Ive read its around 30#? How light is the car now? Is it time for a rebuild or something else? decay is considering selling his aluminum M52TU
                          30lbs sounds about right. I took the headliner and insulation out and skinned the sunroof panel as well, so it may be a bit more for me. I'd put the car in the low 25xx range at the moment, but I haven't had time or opportunity to weigh it yet!

The motor is tempting, but I'm gonna keep the M50 if I can. It's been pretty headache free so far and has held up to lots of abuse.

Originally posted by Bimmerman325i View Post
                          [IMG]https://i.imgflip.com/15g4hu.jpg[IMG]
                          That was a fun day. I feel like I had a much faster lap by the end of the day, but the data logger and gopro both had died at that point, so who knows really. That vid is of my fourth total lap on the 5 mile/west course, and my second total one without going in the pits, so I'm not entirely displeased by it.
                          Your car is faaaast.
                          Yeah, that was the second session dude. It took me a few sessions to get up to speed on West, it's a very technical track and it's hard to judge exactly what line to take in many of the corners. Even tougher for you to learn it on 5 mile when there's 4 minutes in between each attempt.

Car is just well setup, and driver is crazy. :)

Originally posted by kronus View Post
                          fix yer car yet?
                          No... I've been taking it easy but I haven't found a trace of anything yet. I'm gonna start doing electrical diagnoses but I'm beginning to suspect the timing skipped a few teeth when I mis shifted.

Comment

I love your car, everything about it. It's got miles and miles of character kicking ass around the track... you inspire my hooptie!
                            Toyota Pickup

Comment

Originally posted by MikeK View Post
                              I love your car, everything about it. It's got miles and miles of character kicking ass around the track... you inspire my hooptie!
                              MikeK: Near-Optimator levels of trolling nuance + the physique of a Korean Greek god. The whole package!

Comment

Originally posted by Wh33lhop View Post
                                MikeK: Near-Optimator levels of trolling nuance + the physique of a Korean Greek god. The whole package!
                                <3 wheelhop
                                Toyota Pickup

Comment

Working...
                                X