Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mr2peak View Post
    Hehe progress :pimp:

Sent my dad the link to your build thread, he blew his MGA motor, 30psi in cyl 3... Hoping this will inspire him to do some engine work. I mean, if you can do it :-D
    I'd like to see you pull off a real project by your self with your own tools ;)
    So fare all talk and no do. "don't write a check with your mouth; your ass can't cash."
    sigpic
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten."

Comment

Slowly planning that 7 build...

But seriously, looks good, can't wait to drive it. Getting that block out of your trunk was a pain, I deserve it ;)
      Drive it hard. Maintain it well.

Convertible Technical & Discussion
      A Topless Memorandum

Comment

the 7 build will be sick! can not wait. i was just pushing your button my friend.
        sigpic
        "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten."

Comment

i am so happy right now!
          So I've been working on my m20 swap all day. I got Manimal's M20 mounts in the mail yesterday along with some new oem 2002 rubber engine mounts. I just finished getting the transmission bolted to the engine so the next step is to make the transmission mounts. In order to make sure the transmission was at the right height and in line with the differential I decided to bolt the driveshaft on the end of the transmission.

For the Transmission I'm using the g260, which requires some creativity, a BFH, and a lot of patience to get in the tunnel right. Luckily mine is pretty much in there (after a few choice words and 4.5" grinder). Also, the other 'downside' to the g260 is that it doesn't have the same driveshaft guibo that the 2002 shaft uses (the g260 is a 6 bolt while the '02 unit used an 8 bolt guibo). So in order to test fit it I used the e30 driveshaft I'd gotten along with the transmission. This is where it got interesting...

Low and behold the e30 driveshaft is the perfect length AND it has the correct bolt pattern for the 2002 diff! Which means that I won't need to get a custom length driveshaft made. Who woulda thought the stock e30 drive train is pretty much exactly the same length as the '02 drivetrain lol. I figured this might be a nice piece of info for anyone considering the swap or in the middle of it. I'll try and get some pictures posted once I get the trans mount made.
          sigpic

Comment

Picked up a free solid m20 fly wheel today! thank you Justin! Time to start looking for a shop that will resurface and lighten it for me. If anyone knows of such a shop in SF or near by let me know!
            sigpic

Comment

BTW you might get a kick out of this

Scroll down to the comments at the bottom...
              Drive it hard. Maintain it well.

Convertible Technical & Discussion
              A Topless Memorandum

Comment

Originally posted by deutschman View Post
                Picked up a free solid m20 fly wheel today! thank you Justin! Time to start looking for a shop that will resurface and lighten it for me. If anyone knows of such a shop in SF or near by let me know!
                T & B will do resurfacing for around 50 bucks.

they are in San Rafael

there is also Best Machine in San Rafael.
                [/url]

Team USA Wrestling 67KG
                Team USA Wrestling Strength And Conditioning Coach

Comment

Originally posted by fiftytakedowns View Post
                  T & B will do resurfacing for around 50 bucks.

they are in San Rafael

there is also Best Machine in San Rafael.
                  cool thanks. i also found a shop in sf i am going to drive by tomorrow.
                  sigpic

Comment

Ordered a bunch more parts from Blunt today. Mostly trans parts like a Sachs kit. I am still waiting for the 15th to roll around so I can collect my tax return, order my cam, and put my head back together.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by mr2peak View Post
                      BTW you might get a kick out of this

Scroll down to the comments at the bottom...
                      Funny thing about that car domain page, the white 2002 was mine. It has since been cut up due to rust and most of the parts are on my 74 but it looked pretty much exactly like that when I got it a couple years ago.
                      sigpic

Comment

Nice! The guy who left all the comments missing words with the funny picture of himself is me a few years ago. How time flies. No I have my m20.
                        sigpic

Comment

Wrapped my cam shaft up today in tubular roll bar foam and cardboard to go out to Ireland Engineering. So excited to get the head back on the block.
                          Question.

What does one do to make sure all the valves are in sink with the pistons when one puts the head back on? TDC for #1, and where should the pistons be?
                          Also fixed the mothers vacuum! Better then new!

sigpic

Comment

sigpic

Comment

272 cam came in from Ireland Engineering. I traded my old m20 cam for a credit on a new 272 billet cam. My transaction was flawless! Thank you Andrew and Jeremy.

Waiting for more head parts to come in from Gods Country. Some of the things I needed had to be shipped from Germany so it is taking a few extra days.
                              After my other parts come in it is off to the machine shop.
                              Last edited by deutschman; 04-22-2011, 01:11 PM.
                              sigpic

Comment

Steve delivers ones again.
                                Mostly just trans bolts and a few other odds and ends.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X