X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Schnitzer318is
    replied
    msq post

Well, still no dyno or track times. I took the car to the track and as it was pulling up to the line (friend was driving) it started leaking coolant from a plug. No time for me... I was pissed.

Anyway... thought I would post the .msq to help out fellow turbo m42 owners. Or just for those who want to stash it/review it for possible future turbo setups.

This tune is setup on MS1 3.57 board. It is using the factory ICV setup and all other factory sensors minus the IAT sensor which is GM. Injectors are 46lb/hr LOW IMPEDANCE injectors. Spark setup is factory coils.

Let me know if you have any questions regarding it and I will do my best to answer.

CurrentTune.msq - 40.29 KB

Leave a comment:

• Schnitzer318is
    replied
    Originally posted by Ian Bowers View Post
    Did you ever dyno this? :D
    Nope... I suck. And I haven't gotten track times after the new clutch install either. It will happen but life keeps getting in the way. Between helping my parents remodel their home, the wife, work, and all the other cars I hardly have time for anything.:(

Leave a comment:

• Ian Bowers
    replied
    Did you ever dyno this? :D

Leave a comment:

• Schnitzer318is
    replied
    Originally posted by The Humjet View Post
    I think you've done everything you could possibly do on a nice daily setup. How are those turbos like on a motor of your size, funny enough I was given the exact same one for free from a mate. It's so small I don't know what to do with it at the moment its a door stopper :P
    Thanks. I'd agree about doing just about everything on this motor I could for a daily car. It has AC, some power, and is dead reliable at the boost levels I am running. Just got back from a 3000 mile trip to Miami.

This turbo is very small... which works fine for me with this motor. The m42 starts spooling at around 2800 and has full boost somewhere around 3500. I don't think I would use it on a bigger motor. I am going to be building an m50 turbo car in the near future and it will be getting something larger.

Leave a comment:

• The Humjet
    replied
    I think you've done everything you could possibly do on a nice daily setup. How are those turbos like on a motor of your size, funny enough I was given the exact same one for free from a mate. It's so small I don't know what to do with it at the moment its a door stopper :P

Leave a comment:

• Schnitzer318is
    replied
    Originally posted by thedguy View Post
    It is if your wastegate can't move enough of the exhaust gases.
    Thanks for that. I thought the internal waste gate/actuator were to blame but was not sure.

No new updates as far as the turbo setup goes other than I have to change plugs way more frequently... ~15000 miles. I've heard this is normal though so I am not concerned.

Originally posted by downforce22 View Post
    great thread!
    Thank you sir.

Leave a comment:

• downforce22
    replied
    great thread!

Leave a comment:

• thedguy
    replied
    Originally posted by Schnitzer318is View Post
    Now my boost is much more consistent with maxes of 7psi in 2nd and 3rd, 8psi in 4th, and 10psi in 5th. Is that normal to have different maxes in different gears?
    It is if your wastegate can't move enough of the exhaust gases.

Leave a comment:

• Schnitzer318is
    replied
    Cars are never really DONE are they? Got tired of the way my wastegate actuator was "mounted," and I use that term loosely. So I fab'd up an aluminum bracket. Should have used steel, but I had this lying around and it's easier to cut.

Now my boost is much more consistent with maxes of 7psi in 2nd and 3rd, 8psi in 4th, and 10psi in 5th. Is that normal to have different maxes in different gears?

Leave a comment:

• Schnitzer318is
    replied
    ^Woops... little late but, yes DTM was great for help when I was learning the MS. Not sure on any of your RHD questions though... wish I was, that would mean I had one ;). Which I would love.

Ok, so cars are never really DONE right? Been tinkering with mine as always. Got tired of the way I had my wastegate actuator "mounted," and I use that term loosely. So it was time to fab up a bracket out of aluminum. Steel would have been better, but aluminum is easier to cut, I had it lying around, and I didn't want to use the old heatsink from one of my amps.

I did all the cutting with a jigsaw, metal blade of course, and then a file to smooth all the edges. Made a template out of cardboard (miller six pack if I remember correctly), and then transferred to the sheet of aluminum.

Boost is more consistent now since the actuator doesn't move around like it used to. Hitting maxes of 7psi in 2nd and 3rd, 8psi in 4th, and 10psi in 5th. Is that normal to have different boost maxes in different gears? First boosted engine... please bare with the possible newb question.

Leave a comment:

• The Humjet
    replied
    Cool where would be the best place to get a fully assembled megasquirt II ECU, I noticed in the early photos that you purchased from DTM, were they good in terms of customer service? And that manifold do you reackon it could work on RHD E30's as i'm planning to use the same manifold (M50 with the last to cylinders cut off). Some say 666 fab will work but thats just out of the question as I don't want to pay that price and then ship it here.

Leave a comment:

• gearheadE30
    replied
    Megasquirt really isn't that bad if you have time, patience, and can teach yourself. And definitely spring for MSII if you can; it is far more adaptable.

Leave a comment:

• The Humjet
    replied
    Just like you my car is also my daily driver so i'm at the parts collecting stage so the car isn't taken off the for too long and i'll probably have to do it during the school holidays and get my mates to dive me around since they owe me a lot of drives anyway.

Your info on megasquirt has given me relief and set my turbo project idea in concrete now that setting up megasquirt isn't as hard as it used to be a few years back. All I have to worry about is spending time on the laptop and keep tuning.

I love how clean the install has been and good to see the wife getting involved and I hope it continues to go well for you.
    Hate to nag but please put some videos up youtube I wanna here that turbo spool up. And keep us updated with dyno tune. My guess is about 210whp.

Leave a comment:

• Schnitzer318is
    replied
    Originally posted by The Humjet View Post
    How hard was it to setup the MS, is it a plug 'n' play style ECU or is there a lot of modifying needed to be done to the harness which can cause a headache? How hard is it to tune? and which model should I opt for?
    Thanks for the compliments. I really enjoy driving this car... it's my daily so don't let reliability issues scare you. If you do the install correctly, you won't have problems. I need to get this thing to the dyno badly, especially with the colder weather here now.

As for your questions, you can buy MS units as a Plug n play setup for the m42 harness. This means no cutting at all, and VERY minor wiring... like your AIT sensor, your wideband input, etc. The management unit literally took 20 minutes to install.

Tuning will, at first, suck something fierce. I can provide you with a base tune to give you a head start and then you just keep tinkering until you know what all the adjustments do and how they interact with each other. Read all the MS documentation at least 3 times before starting, and then again while working.

As for which version to get. Get the latest version you can afford. I am running MS1... and wish I had MS2 or 3 for the extra tunability. This will allow you to really dial the car in and get it running basically like stock, but with all the power of the turbo.

Hope that answers your questions... let me know if you have any others. First tip: have all the parts that you think you will need ready before starting. Small things will come up... but that's to be expected. Have another car ready as an "in the meantime" mode of transport. Good luck!!!

Turbo m42's are soooooooooooo much fun... :pimp:

Leave a comment:

• The Humjet
    replied
    I know it's been a couple months since someone has last posted on this thread but I thought it would be good to revive this thread. I have been reading every single word of it and it has inspired me to put a turbo on my 318 which I hope to do sometime next year. I've planned out my setup but my main worry is tuning. I've been looking into Megasquirt, it has looks interesting as it has most of the standalone ECU features at a reasonable price.

BTW this will be my first turbo project and nearly all my friends think I'm crazy to take on a project like this by myself in my garage since they only believe that they should leave their cars in the hands of a professional even for an oil change, which to me is silly as I don't want to pay labour prices for the rest of my life and like to learn to work on cars while i'm young and if I screw up then i'll call up my friend who is a mechanic and he can help me fix up the problem.

Anyway back to the topic, My questions are:
    How hard was it to setup the MS, is it a plug 'n' play style ECU or is there a lot of modifying needed to be done to the harness which can cause a headache? How hard is it to tune? and which model should I opt for?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X