3) Mount intercooler where radiator was
    Profit????

Problem solved
    - Chris
    Project M42 - 255 @ 19 psi

Comment

Just get fancy with a hacksaw.

Comment

I think that is actually the same intercooler kit I ended up with, hah. I just looked around in there and such today and realized that there is a lot more room down there than I thought, so I think I'll be fine.

Another issue I just discovered: I am running COP with the Megasquirt, and when running in this mode, it doesn't support a tach output; at least not as far as I can tell. I guess I'll probly end up making a tach circuit later, but for now I just want to get it in the car with a rough tune. Everything else is perfect now, though.

Project M42 Turbo

Comment

^Wait a sec... no tach output with COP??? Crap that was one of the few mods I still wanted to do to the car.

Would send you my .msq, just to get you started, but your are running MS II and I don't think they are interchangeable.
          "A good memory for quotes combined with a poor memory for attribution can lead to a false sense of originality."
          -----------------------------------------
          91 318is Turbo Sold
          87 325 Daily driver Sold
          06 4.8is X5
          06 Mtec X3
          05 4.4i X5 Sold
          92 325ic Sold & Re-purchased
          90 325i Sold
          97 328is Sold
          01 323ci Sold
          92 325i Sold
          83 528e Totaled
          98 328i Sold
          93 325i Sold

Comment

I found the issue, actually. There is a jumper that needs to be wired from s12c to js9, basically as the +12v power for the IAC motor (which I didn't wire up; the M42 uses a PWM valve) that is also required for the outputs to work. I'll check it and post an update when I get home.

Yea, I don't think the msqs are interchangeable either, but for now I'm not running boost so I'm not sure it would help yet anyway. I think I actually have a rough base map already, though. btw what are you using as dwell time on the coils and the tooth offset on the crank wheel?

Project M42 Turbo

Comment

I'm fairly sure you are able to open up the MS1 map in the tuning program, copy or export the values and then paste/import them into MS2. it isn't a straight swap but can still save you a bunch of time. regarding not being suitable because schnitzer's is boosted, that won't be an issue.

Because the MS uses a MAP sensor it will just never read the boosted part of the fuel/ign maps. It will just sit there dormant until you throw a turbo on. Which isn't all bad as you will have something reasonably tuned to start with :)
              - Chris
              Project M42 - 255 @ 19 psi

Comment

hmm, good to know. Well, in that case, I would greatly appreciate the .msq :)

Also, I tried to start it for the first time last night-no crank sensor signal. Turns out that the hysteresis resistor was set wrong; it should work fine now.

I also had some issues with the main relay oscilating. I have a transistor circuit to control it, and when the key is in the off position, the transistor floats and causes the main relay to oscilate rapidly. I'm going to load the transistor to ground and it should work fine; everything works great (other than the lack of crank sensor) as far as I can tell, so maybe I'll have more luck this afternoon.

Also, I've been doing a ton of searches into M42 MSII builds, and I think I found 2. Neither one had gotten theirs to run particularly well, and none were running COP, so this should be interesting, hah. Apparently most people go the Haltech or VEMS route.

Project M42 Turbo

Comment

Why would COP be any different than stock coilpacks?

Comment

Originally posted by 2002maniac View Post
                    That's what I was wondering... I think I am still going to switch as I can't think of a reason it would interfere with the tach signal.

PM me an email to send the msq to and I'd be happy to send it over. Remember I'm using 46lb injectors though so you will have to adjust your req fuel accordingly.

As to the MSII builds not running well... not sure why they had a problem. My car runs great after cold starting, I don't run an IAC valve so cold starts are sometimes a 2 or 3 start affair. I would think MSII would be easier to get a smooth running car since you can blend TPSdot and MAPdot for tuning. Also you can use the 3 wire IAC without mods on the MSII board. Of course there is greater resolution too. I'd love to pickup an MSII to upgrade mine later...
                    "A good memory for quotes combined with a poor memory for attribution can lead to a false sense of originality."
                    91 318is Turbo Sold
                    87 325 Daily driver Sold
                    06 4.8is X5
                    06 Mtec X3
                    05 4.4i X5 Sold
                    90 325i Sold
                    97 328is Sold
                    01 323ci Sold
                    92 325i Sold
                    83 528e Totaled
                    98 328i Sold
                    93 325i Sold

Comment

Originally posted by 2002maniac View Post
                      The terminology is a bit different for Megasquirt: COP just refers to individual coil packs rather than actual coil-on-plug. People just understant that better than sequential ignition or CPP. I was referring to running sequential ignition; most people run paired waste spark on M42s. I somewhat doubt that there is really much power to be gained there, but I it may help smoothness/efficiency. The car is a daily, so I want it to run as close to an OEM-acceptable tune as possible.

ACS-just sent you a PM; thanks for all the help! I'll keep everything updated with the progress, as usual.

I have kind of gotten to having a one-track mind with this project, so updates should be pretty regular haha. Even my dad (used to design ignitions for GM/Delphi) has gotten involved

Project M42 Turbo

Comment

Tried to run it again last night, again with no results. I did, however, fix a few issues. The main relay chatter was caused by an extra and unnecessary protection diode that ended up trying to pull all of the power needed by the MS and teh adapter board through the open main relay. That is now fixed and working perfectly.

For future reference for anyone building MS2, the instructions for wiring the DB37 reccomend running the crank VR sensor ground to pin 2. Well, the issue there is that there isn't anything hooked to pin 2, as that was a provisional instruction for a feature apparently not implemented yet. I'll test it again with pin 2 grounded again tonight and, hopefully, I'll have some better results to post hah

Project M42 Turbo

Comment

Well, the car and MS are working fine except I'm having some major issues with ignition sync loss, and I have no idea why. the noise filters have no effect, and the signal coming from the sensor has basically no noise at all. The only possible issue that I can find is the square wave on the board is not dropping back to ground; it only goes down to about 1.71v....

Project M42 Turbo

Comment

well, so car as I can tell, everything is set the way it needs to be aside from the fact that the injectors fire 2 pulses when I crank, and then they shut off. I can't figure out why yet...

Project M42 Turbo

Comment

Sent you a couple of my .msq files. One was for 30lb injectors and the other is my current 46lb injector tune. The 30lb one ran smoother, but that may just be due to the fact that idle is easier to tune with smaller injectors. That being said, I daily drive my 46lb tune with no problems. Keep in mind I am not running an ICV and neither of these files is setup for idle control.
                              91 318is Turbo Sold
                              87 325 Daily driver Sold
                              06 4.8is X5
                              06 Mtec X3
                              05 4.4i X5 Sold
                              90 325i Sold
                              97 328is Sold
                              01 323ci Sold
                              92 325i Sold
                              83 528e Totaled
                              98 328i Sold
                              93 325i Sold

Comment

Okay, thanks. I'll see what I can do with those

Also, the car is running!!! really, really freaking lean but it works! Turns out, among other things, the firing order was wrong. MS is set up to run coils 1234 rather than the necessary 1342, so after discovering the issue and swapping some coil leads, it runs beautifully. Eventually I will switch the driver wires in MS itself, but for now I want to get a rough tune done first.

And for anyone doing this in the future who can't find the VR sensor offset, the center point of the missing pins is vertical at #1TDC, which is about 120* BTDC for the sensor placement. Thus the actual angle of tooth 1 is more like 114*, although I have found that 125* BTDC seems to work better. I know it's still off a bit, though. For some reason, this information was nowhere to be found with any reliability.

Project M42 Turbo

Comment

Working...
                                X