Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Das Drehmomentungeheuer: A HPDE Hooligan for shenanigans.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking good dude, can't wait to see it all completed...coming along well :)

Zoeb
    sigpic

Comment

since they arent restricted to the $500 rule of LeMons, im sure they will be running an adjustable suspension where they can drop the car back down to a proper height.
      AWD > RWD

Comment

Originally posted by blalor View Post
        We added a bit too much lightness, however, and kind of screwed the handling. For the doors, hood, and trunk lid, we removed all but the skin and attached them with NASCAR-style posts and cotter pins. The battery was relocated to the spare tire well. Most everything aft of the dashboard was removed. And when we were done the rear of the car was high off the ground, like a puppy wanting to play. Any bump in a turn would have me scrambling for opposite lock. For our 2nd race we threw a couple of spare tires in the back. :roll:

How are you planning to maintain the weight distribution?
        There are quite a few things we are doing. The coilovers help some, as we can shift some load around. But they won't help if you've gutted an E30 completely out back entirely. It will still be quite nose heavy.

We ARE NOT removing the rear sound deadening in the trunk.
        We ARE NOT changing out to a small fuel cell.
        We ARE NOT replacing the rear window with lexan.

We ARE putting in a kirk roll bar which also should help rearward weight some.
        We ARE going with a light front bumper setup (details will come)
        We ARE removing any un-needed accessories, etc. up front
        we ARE going to make our own fiberglass hood.

Another huge front end weight item that may be of concern is when we get the V8 in. We are after a specific LS based engine with limited production years that will surprise you. Details on that will come when we're at that point.

Thanks - Jon
        Build : Das Drehmoment Ungeheuer

Comment

Originally posted by GotCone? View Post
          We ARE NOT replacing the rear window with lexan.

Thanks - Jon
          Dang, I was looking forward to fabbing that. :)

"Finish the side windows first!"
          I know, I know. Sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by IppoJ View Post
            Dang, I was looking forward to fabbing that. :)

"Finish the side windows first!"
            I know, I know. Sorry.
            Never say never. We'll have to see how it is on the scales once we get all the other stuff done first.

Comment

Some progress.

We picked up a used S4.10 medium case differential from this very forum. It was nice and tight so we had Russ' Garage put new seals in for us. Added a Z3M finned diff cover to the mix along with some redline synthetic gear oil. The ratio change should make for a bit more pep with the taller rolling diameter on our wheel and tire combo. We noticed a reduction in pep with the S3.73 last year on the 225/50-16 Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Specs we ran. The new 255/40-17 Nitto NT-01 are just a smidgen smaller in diameter, but offer significantly more grip, obviously.

Here is to hoping that the fins are enough to help keep the diff temps lower when we add the Drehmoment (i.e. torque) to this project later on.

Thanks - Jon

Comment

L88?

Although you guys have more in your coilovers than alot of people on this site. What spring rates did you go for with the incoming V8? Since it's shorter than the I-6 that should help out a bit with your weight distribution?

Keep up the good work!
                Need parts now? Need them cheap? steve@blunttech.com
                Chief Sales Officer, Midwest Division—Blunt Tech Industries

www.gutenparts.com
                One stop shopping for NEW, USED and EURO PARTS!

Comment

L88? nope.

The current setup is 700f / 950r with stock front swaybar and no rear swaybar. Works like a charm and allows good turn-in and flat foot corner exit.

The future setup will include a front swaybar from Whiteline and a spring rate change in the rear. I have a pair of 650lb/in and 850 lb/in rear springs on hand I've scored used and will try those out and see which works best or if something in between is needed.

Comment

This looks like it is going to be awesome. Cant wait to see more progress!
                    My LS1 swap thread:
                    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=160030

Comment

Well looks like there will be 2 e30s with flares, bronze p45r, and 255/40/17 soon. :p

I've been holding out on the flares for my car, but the wheels and tires should be on soon.

Very interested to see the issues you run into up front with the 255s and the IE flares. I'm going with Eurostop's new flares which are supposed to be wider than the 2002 style flares. Have you figured out your offsets yet? I'm thinking et 7 or 8 up front, and et 2 or 3 out back.

Also awaiting the v8 choice. I'm still contemplating an LS1/6 swap instead of a blower for my s52. I would love for my e30 to have the beastly torque, and the menacing exhaust note of the push-rod!
                      Check out Undr8d Empire on Facebook: www.facebook.com/Undr8dEmpireLlc

INSTAGRAM: @UNDR8D_EMPIRE

Scarlet V2 - #Project333Ti by @castromotorsport, @kingsautobodyshop, @bimmerheads, @hardmotorsport, @excel_motorsports & @mateomotorsports - http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=371356

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

Haven't sorted front spacers yet, but don't need any in the rear. At most will run 5mm out back, but it will depend on the fronts. I 'think' I can get away with 5-10mm up front max so et 10 or 5 front, et 15 or 10 rear.

Time will tell.
                        Last edited by GotCone?; 03-22-2010, 10:48 AM.

Comment

So, we have made some more progress on das auto. Just little things, like lexan 1/4 windows, and the sunroof welded back in. The later is going to make romantic, late night stargazing drives difficult, but those are overrated anyway. Anyway, on to the pics.

Here you can see our new tint, with sponsor name all over it. Ok, not really.

Here it is, with the covers pealed off. Yes! I took a picture of something translucent. If you look very closely, you can see Mr. Campbell (who was the master fabricator, or was it materbat..... no, it was mater fabricator of the lexan windows) giving the west siiiiiiiiide hand sign. Not sure why, as we couldn't get more centrally located if we tried.

Next are the pics of the welded in sunroof. We added some spice to our life with a little gadget from the rally car world. Its called a roof scoop. :D It opens front ways, and back ways, and side wa.... er, just front and rear. So, pull air in, or get it out. Works very well. (Would like to thank my buddy Dave, for the idea. He has a Miata with a hard top that has one of these in it. Does an amazing job of helping you stay cool.) And before anyone mentions the drag it will create, remember, this is an E30. Driving one is akin to driving a brick wall. ;)

Closed:

Partial open:

Fully open:

And open toward the rear:

Ok, bye.

Comment

Get Stiff!

A new part arrived today. A front swaybar from Whiteline. The car has been needing a larger front swaybar ever since I put the AST 4100's on. The better priced bars only came in pairs and the front only bars just seemed too spendy or weren't large enough for what I wanted. I watched these forums and a few others hoping to score a used one over the past 5 months to no avail.

So, being a Subaru owner, Whiteline is a well know swaybar company from Australia. They offer a huge selection of bars at fair prices. I decided to see if they offered anything for the E30 and was surprised to find a few offerings from them. I ordered the BBF36X, which is a 24mm front swaybar for the E30. I picked it up from Sean @ Oakos Automotive, a Subaru place I have ordered from before. They price matched some website I've never heard of without question. All told it was $172 and change plus a nominal shipping charge.

Anxious to get it on and give it a try.

Thanks - Jon
                            Last edited by GotCone?; 03-25-2010, 03:10 PM.

Comment

I hve a 26mm version (custom ordered). Was an absolute bitch to fit and when using the OEM front links (on the lower control arms), the links are at a horrible angle. It's to the point I have broken two of them now. If you aren't already I would be running links onto the struts of decent length to cope with the angles involved. I am in the process of converting to these right now.

Otherwise nice project guys. Love the roof scoop. Where did ou pick that up from?
                              - Chris
                              Project M42 - 255 @ 19 psi

Comment

we already have adjustable swaybar links, so no worries there.

scoop was from my long time friend and awesome rally driver, Paul Eklund.

http://get-primitive.com/ <-- go to the body kit and spoilers section, it is at the bottom item number 1080.

Comment

Working...
                                X