No announcement yet.

Reap3rs E30 Bought back, Now M52B28

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Had a chance to have a look at it a bit this afternoon. I finally got around to doing some more work on the gauges. I hate electrical so I kind of put this off for a while.

Fitted the boost sensor in behind the wiring cover on the firewall

Cover back on & vac hose fitted.

Also just basically did a bit of a tidy up of the bay & fitted a few new hoses here and there, the whole car is covered in dust I really need to get it out and give it a wash in the next week or so.

If I get motivated enough tomorrow I'll probably look at swapping my 440cc injectors in & modifying the mounts for the remote oil filter housing as I'm not super happy with it at the moment.

Turbo M42 Build thread:
    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=169672

Comment

really starting to come together mate. Glad things are looking up!
      - Chris
      Project M42 - 255 @ 19 psi

Comment

So I haven't done a update in a bit. Got the exhaust stuff all sent away to ceramic coating, After having a chat to them I'm getting a tripple coating done on it which should be good for somewhere between 1170-1200deg, There is meant to be a 3 week turn around on it so should see it in a week and a half probably :).

While pulling all the exhaust out the strut tower of the engine bay got pretty scratched up. I wasn't sure what I was going to do about it & was a little bit pissed with myself. Anyway I found about 200ml of paint left over from when we did the bay and a tin of clear at work from when we did the boot lid so I decided to do a quick respray of the tower this arvo. I didn't spend a whole lot of time doing it because a turbo covers majority of it. Probably only a hour and a half including mask, prep and paint. But considering my lazyness with the prep work it actually turned out pretty good and a vast improvement over what it was before.

What it looked like:

Half assed prep work done:

Base coat done and first coat of clear:

2nd coat of clear:

I'll pull all the masking off tomorrow and determine from there if it needs buffing or not.

This is also my first time ever painting 2pac. I do plenty of 2pac laquering out of a spray gun but never colour, so I'm pretty happy with how it turned out.

Turbo M42 Build thread:

Comment

Subscribed. What did you end up doing with your oil filter relocation? Pics?

Comment

Originally posted by Victell View Post
            Subscribed. What did you end up doing with your oil filter relocation? Pics?
            A Lot of the oil filter relocation stuff I got off Chris (e30guydownunder) allthough what was used was a M30 filter housing that has outlets in it for a Oil cooler and made up 2 take off plates. 1 to go on the front timing cover where the stock housing originally sat. And one to go onto the m30 housing which was also a mount.

Then I ran braided lines to both the oil cooler and the 2 take off plates. The Alternator also had to be spaced by about 30mm to clear the braided lines. I'm going to be working in that area in the next few days so I can probably snap some pics for you then :)

Turbo M42 Build thread:

Comment

that m coupe diff cover looks cracked, mine had the same problem when i got it, had to order another one.

Comment

Originally posted by e304me View Post
                that m coupe diff cover looks cracked, mine had the same problem when i got it, had to order another one.

http://i606.photobucket.com/albums/t...aawssdf326.jpg
                Nah it definently wasn't cracked, probably just a trick photo. I only had the diff housing apart and replaced the bush a few months ago before selling it. That's the Stock diff from the car which is long since gone and now has a Shimmed up Mid case 3.73 LSD in its place.

Turbo M42 Build thread:

Comment

How you going with this thing man? I tried looking for pics but couldn't find any of the oil filter stuff. But yep all custom made. I fabricated the take-off plates and faced them with a mill afterwards.

I'm heading to the dyno again Saty, hopefully last time and no more problems!
                  - Chris

Comment

Okay so below is a huge update of whats been happening with the car over the last month or so just copied from another forum.

I decided to give the pipe work a bit of a re-polish this arvo after work because its gotten a bit scratched up from constantly pulling it on and off making things work

Front turbo pipe:

Cold side pipe before:

Cold side pipe after:

Cold side could probably use a little bit of work still but mainly trying to get it looking a bit respectable and running first though.

Edit- Also got a return hose fitted to the front pipe for the catch can and a pipe fitted to the cold side to run the Idle control valve

So I got a call yesterday from the bloke doing my ceramic coating. He informed me that after he sandblasted all the buildup off the turbo housing it revealed a crack, I guess this is the gamble that comes with buying a 2nd hand turbo and I'll never do it again. Anyway I went down and picked it up on my lunch break and had a look at it. Upon first inspection it seemed repairable so I dropped it off to get a mate to weld it up.

Pic of said crack:

Anyway got a call today saying that there was also one inside the housing itself. So I pretty much decided it would be better to spend the money on a new one from japan rather than waste 2hrs of my mates time welding the cast only to have it fail in a few months and also waste a good coating of ceramic.

So I ordered a new one from japan today and with any luck should see it in a week then it will go off to get coated.

Also finnished off a mount today securing the remote filter housing a bit better and measured up another mount for the top of the oil cooler.

So a small update.

Earlier on in the week the turbo housing turned up so I promptly went and got the wastegate flapper welded because I run a external wastegate.

I then put the turbo together which I really should of done first because it turned out to be the wrong housing.

Anyway I contacted the supplier and they said it was their mistake and just to grind the tack off and send it back to them and they'll send the correct one.
                    So I took it down to the post office and sent it away.

Got home this arvo and made a new mount for the top of the oil cooler. I previously only mounted it on the bottom and there was movement, with one at the top there is no movement at all in it.

Then I pulled the intake manifold off so I can get to the electrics easier tomorrow when My tuner comes to measure up a loom for my Haltech PS1000 :)

Quick update, Had a bloke come around Friday night to start looking at what needed to be done for my ECU and measured up a few things here and there and gave me a hand to start pulling out the old loom.

Finished pulling the loom out this morning:

Engine bay with all the electrical disconnected and removed:

Good thing about this is I can finally get to doing some of the small fiddly things that I wanted to do on it later on like re-connecting the heater pipes so that Its not a defect.

So quick update, Changed the injectors over on the weekend:

Old 19lbs ones:

Also picked this up today so I can mount it up in place and start fitting some of the accessories
                    Haltech PS1000, Haltech Ignitor module, Electronic boost control solenoid:

Got friday off to work on the car and have been told I'll have all my exhaust parts back so with any luck I'll have a pretty substantial update on Friday Afternoon :)

So yesterday and this morning I managed to get a bit done:

I picked my ceramic coating up Friday morning and proceeded to start to fit it all.
                    Manifold, The old cracked rear housing and Dump pipe in: I'm going to be running the cracked housing until the new one arrives and I get it all ceramic coated ect ect.

Radiator box back in and lines hooked up:

Exhaust bolted back on and car dropped back down, its great to see it on the ground again :)

Intake Temp sensor welded into the cooler piping:

Additional Fitting for boost reference for the Electronic boost solenoid welded on:

Cold side piping all back on:

Catch can plumb back on:

Electronic boost solenoid mounted, still need to get a bit more vacuum hose to run down to the wastegate:

Drilled some holes to mount the Ignitor box and painted the insides of them to help stop them rusting out:

Ignitor box in:

Relocated thermo fan relay from the passenger side of the car because it will now be switched by the ECU, Still not sure if I'll keep it here or move it somewhere to try and hide it:

And thats all for today, tomorrow I'll probably try to get the interior back together somewhat and mount the ECU Inside :)

So I got my loom back yesterday from Rob Novak and started to get it back in this afternoon. Got 90% of it in just need to sort some fittings for my vacuum block tomorrow morning and I'll be able to finnish it off.

Wiring left to do for the coils to the ignition module:

Fitting through the firewall grommet for map sensor:

So tomorrow I'll get the rest together. Only wiring left to do is for the Coil drivers, Intake Temp Sensor and Thermo fan. After that it'll be able to be fired up and go off for a tune :)

So my car got tuned yesterday and I picked it up this morning. It made 218.3whp on 8psi and 180whp on 5.7psi which is what its currently running on for run in.

Even on the current boost setting the car is a totally different car to when I last drove it and puts a massive smile on the face. Still a few small oil leaks to sort out and a bit here and there, but main thing is its driving and its done over 200km's on it now with the turbo on and hasn't missed a beat :)

Edit- It's also now Mod plated for the Turbo Conversion & seats.

A Couple of quick pics thanks to Ferdinand :)

Please excuse the dirty tyres, had to drive through a puddle of mud to get around a soccer mum driving in the middle of the road at lakeside.

More to come soon :)
                    Last edited by Reap3r; 11-05-2012, 12:19 AM.

Turbo M42 Build thread:

Comment

Looks good mate, glad to see you finally get it going after so many dramas. Something about the turbo 4 cylinder thing they dot like to stay together!
                      - Chris

Comment

Holy giant pictures. Looking great dude! Decent numbers there 8)
                        Tim.

Comment

Originally posted by tg318is View Post
                          Holy giant pictures. Looking great dude! Decent numbers there 8)
                          Yeah for some reason they don't auto resize here where they do on other select forums and its a bit of work to change them lol.

Turbo M42 Build thread:

Comment

The meaty tires are sooo siiick. Wheel&Tire specs?
                            SO MUCH MORE TO DO!!
                            IG: ohthejosh

LEGIT CHECK ME BRUH
                            BUYER FEEDBACK THREAD

Comment

Originally posted by ohthejosh View Post
                              The meaty tires are sooo siiick. Wheel&Tire specs?
                              16x8 +10 with 225/50 all around. I do want to change to 225/45 on my next set of tyres though just finding them in a good rubber is harder than a 225/50 unless you pay 4x as much.

Turbo M42 Build thread:

Comment

Hells yeah.

Very nice.
                                -----Zen and the Art of e30 Maintenance - / - Zen TOC - / - Zen Summary

Comment

Working...
                                X