No announcement yet.

Reap3rs E30 Bought back, Now M52B28

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I *heart* turbo m42's. I have to do some work to mine finally after getting a flip car out of the garage.

Your thread is making me want to push up the timetable.
    "A good memory for quotes combined with a poor memory for attribution can lead to a false sense of originality."
    -----------------------------------------
    91 318is Turbo Sold
    87 325 Daily driver Sold
    06 4.8is X5
    06 Mtec X3
    05 4.4i X5 Sold
    92 325ic Sold & Re-purchased
    90 325i Sold
    97 328is Sold
    01 323ci Sold
    92 325i Sold
    83 528e Totaled
    98 328i Sold
    93 325i Sold

Comment

For those in Australia this car will be featured in the February 2013 issue of Fast Fours & Rotaries . . . well done Reap3r!
      sigpic
      Wanted: M20 885 head conversion for 2.7L eta engine and E30 beige premium speaker covers . . . .

Comment

LOL Thanks for letting me know. I still had no idea which issue it was going to be in!

Originally posted by RH9 View Post
        For those in Australia this car will be featured in the February 2013 issue of Fast Fours & Rotaries . . . well done Reap3r!

Turbo M42 Build thread:
        http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=169672

Comment

Originally posted by Reap3r View Post
          This is what made me decide on a custom setup with external gate ect. Moved the whole lot forward and gave me a lot more space.
          this is the key to success

Turbo M42 Build Thread :Here
          Ig:ryno_pzk
          I like the tuna here.
          Originally posted by lambo
          Buttchug. The official poster child of r3v.

Comment

So I had some problems with the stock m30 oil filter housing leaking and draining oil back so I decided it was time to get a proper setup. So I ordered a bunch of fittings. Oil relocation mount and also a Oil thermostat to run the oil cooler

I've managed to mount most of it up and will finish it tomorrow afternoon and post some finished pics.

Turbo M42 Build thread:

Comment

I love your car I'm using it as a goal for my 318is, I'll have to pick up a copy of fast fours & suss it out more

Comment

For those in Australia check out this months fast fours for a full write up

Turbo M42 Build thread:

Comment

So its been a long time since updating this. Over the past 3 or 4 months I haven't touched the car as its had a oil pressure problem. It wasn't building any. I finally got around to chasing it down today and it was a failed gasket in the oil take off plate going to the filter housing. So we made up a new gasket gooped it up and away we went. Got it all back together sweet no leaks.

Took it for a few test drives with no dramas all sweet.

Gave the car a wash this arvo hopped in and off I went to head to a meet.

A little bit down the road racing a mate off at the lights. BANG there goes the gearbox.

So now I'm currently sourcing and seeing whats needed to swap in the bigger getrag 260. Any m42 guru's out there done this? Mainly wondering what driveshaft is needed to mate up to the 260 which is a longer box?

Turbo M42 Build thread:

Comment

Glad I didn't waste time with the G240 then lol. AFAIK G260 is very similar length, if you want i can measure the one I have lying around up? Reason I say this is running the 325i tail shaft has allowed me to move the engine back roughly 90mm (about the difference in tail shaft lengths).

Things to note, pretty sure the little bell housing bolts don't line up (atleast they don't with the E36 sump), angle of rotation is different so you will need to mod gearbox cross member (maybe M20 one will work?) and the shifter shaft will need to be clocked also.

Throw me some measurements from bell housing to output flange and shift lever pivot(s) I will check mine out for you tomorrow.

more boost yet?
                    - Chris
                    Project M42 - 255 @ 19 psi

Comment

62 1/8" is the distance of my driveshaft. You have to get one made unless you want to move the engine back lik e30guy. Ditch the m42 fw and clutch setup and get all m20 stuff. I went a fucked up route and tried jb m42 flywheel, m20 clutch and g260. The clutch never fully disengages so it trashed my first trans. Ill find some pictures for you

EDIT:Some info

Originally posted by d00d View Post
                      Bolted up to the g260. The four big bolts lined right up but the smaller bolts on the bottom part of the tranny didnt. had to drill holes. ill get pictures when i can.

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
                      I'm glad someone realizes there is not correct bolt-in D/S for the m42/G260. I have about 10 various D/S's at the shop and none of them fit when my friend's g240 asploded. All over the 'net people said use the 325i shaft, but the splines engaged about 1/4"...
                      Originally posted by d00d View Post
                      A few to show how the g260 sits with the 240 tranny mount. not sure how i want to modify this one to work or if im just going to build a new one. when i remember to bring my camera with me ill get some good pictures of how the linkage sits. Its about an inch too long and shifted to the right about 3 inches.

I ended up making a trans brace that looks pretty similar to the braces gunmetalgrey sells for 24v swaps. The hardest part was getting the trans and driveshaft to sit flush against the guibo. Linkage is just cut, bent and welded. not pretty but it works.

And that ds measurement is from my memory. I had it made close to two years ago and im not 100% positive if thats the correct length.

I noticed that metric mechanic has a m42 g260 swap available now. Might be worth it to give jim a call
                      Last edited by MF DOOM; 05-04-2013, 10:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Reap3r View Post
                        Couple of pics from a meet last night :)

Wow those wheels is awesome.....They fit perfectly. Cool project
                        https://www.facebook.com/Cry_77_IX-110483784967661
                        https://www.instagram.com/cry_77_ix/

Comment

Originally posted by e30guydownunder View Post
                          Glad I didn't waste time with the G240 then lol. AFAIK G260 is very similar length, if you want i can measure the one I have lying around up? Reason I say this is running the 325i tail shaft has allowed me to move the engine back roughly 90mm (about the difference in tail shaft lengths).

Things to note, pretty sure the little bell housing bolts don't line up (atleast they don't with the E36 sump), angle of rotation is different so you will need to mod gearbox cross member (maybe M20 one will work?) and the shifter shaft will need to be clocked also.

Throw me some measurements from bell housing to output flange and shift lever pivot(s) I will check mine out for you tomorrow.

more boost yet?
                          Yeah I had a bit of a read up and from what I read the little bolt holes wont line up and the driveshaft and what not will need to be shortened. Shifter shaft modified and the crossmember modified. I'm thinking about maybe swapping my spare 240 in today and being gentle on it. But on the other hand its a waste of $90 perfectly good Royal Purple gearbox oil on another box if I'm just going to remove it in a month or 2 to do a 260 swap.

Originally posted by MF DOOM View Post
                          62 1/8" is the distance of my driveshaft. You have to get one made unless you want to move the engine back lik e30guy. Ditch the m42 fw and clutch setup and get all m20 stuff. I went a fucked up route and tried jb m42 flywheel, m20 clutch and g260. The clutch never fully disengages so it trashed my first trans. Ill find some pictures for you

EDIT:Some info

I ended up making a trans brace that looks pretty similar to the braces gunmetalgrey sells for 24v swaps. The hardest part was getting the trans and driveshaft to sit flush against the guibo. Linkage is just cut, bent and welded. not pretty but it works.

And that ds measurement is from my memory. I had it made close to two years ago and im not 100% positive if thats the correct length.

I noticed that metric mechanic has a m42 g260 swap available now. Might be worth it to give jim a call
                          Thanks for the info. I already have all the m20 flywheel swap done from when I origonally did my engine rebuild so thats why the 260 is so appealing to me. All i would really need is the 260 throw out bearing. I'll send a email through to metric mechanic and see how much they want for the 260 swap and if its worth it or putting it together myself over here.

Turbo M42 Build thread:

Comment

The G260 is much longer than the G240 (about 60mm).

The best bet is using a G250 from an E36, which is only about 20mm longer than a G240. The ZF320 is the best trans for boost because its strongest, its about the same size as the G260.

Sorry, that kind of sounds like rambling. I don't understand why you would go with a G260 though unless you don't have access to a ZF.
                            Last edited by wazzu70; 05-04-2013, 09:54 PM.
                            -Nick

M42 on VEMS

Comment

Originally posted by wazzu70 View Post
                              The G260 is much longer than the G240 (about 60mm).

The best bet is using a G250 from an E36, which is only about 20mm longer than a G240. The ZF320 is the best trans for boost because its strongest, its about the same size as the G260.

Sorry, that kind of sounds like rambling. I don't understand why you would go with a G260 though unless you don't have access to a ZF.
                              I'll see if I can find a ZF320 because I know it will bolt straight up to the correct mounts being a late model gearbox.

In other news I just pulled the gearbox out and went to put my spare getrag 240 in. Seems the spare 240 is off a m20 so it was clocked 10 degrees like a 260 is. Needing a different mount and shifter linkage ect. So after this I've decided to just wait until I got a stronger box and sort it all out then.

Turbo M42 Build thread:

Comment

Also will the m20 clutch and flywheel/starter all work with the ZF Box? Just asking because I already have the m20 flywheel swap with a new button clutch ect.

Turbo M42 Build thread:

Comment

Working...
                                X