Reap3rs E30 Bought back, Now M52B28

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Reap3r View Post
    Quick question for you, what manifold are you going to use for your turbo build? I was looking into getting a 666fab one, but by the time you convert it and get it over here its up in the 1k+ mark. Another option is to get one of these http://cgi.ebay.com.au/BMW-Turbokrum...item3a47b75e4e. But it would also mean I need to source another actuator for my turbo rather than just welding the gate shut and using a external. Also there is no way of knowing if ebay manifolds will actually fit nicely, especially in a RHD E30. Or even if the manifolds are top or bottom mount.
    Those manifolds are bottom mount and you have no hope in hell at getting a nice working bottom mount solution. Trust me I tried :(

You can flip them and use them as a top mount but you need to cut the flange off to relocate it (otherwise the compressor hits the rocker cover). By this time you would be able to add some extra pipe to it for an external gate if you wish.

Actuators are worth bugger all though (I'm still not sure I'm going to use mine).

Regarding what I am doing, I have made my own manifold and have somehow not managed to upload any detailed pictures of it :). Was $50 in elbows from Blackwoods and I had a bunch of waterpipe laying around that I used. I got the flanges made up at work out of 1/2" plate, good ol' workshop guys ;)

It was a very labour intensive project and took considerably longer than I imagined. And mine is only a fairly simple design, pipes are all short and straight as possible, minimise bends, maintaining the heat and flow as best as possible.

For a budget build the ebay manifold with a few tweaks and then suitable braacing of the turbo off the engine to take the load and it should be right. That manifold you have linked shits all over the M5x one that is commonly used, the fact it is actually for an M42 is a good start.

Originally posted by Iain
    Lol was at the second "hand job" from the wreckers...

Bloody naiive kids today!

HAR HAR HAR, I did totally miss that, i was too busy attempting to up my post count....geez
    - Chris
    Project M42 - 255 @ 19 psi

Comment

Originally posted by Iain View Post
      Lol was at the second "hand job" from the wreckers...

Bloody naiive kids today!
      Haha shhh, I was way too busy thinking about cars to even think of what I typed :P

Turbo M42 Build thread:
      http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=169672

Comment

Alright so I had a bit of spare time this arvo so got around to sanding and undercoating the top of my boot lid.

My parts still haven't arrived :( so doesn't look like I'll be getting it back together this weekend. Probly a good thing though because Cops are having a major crackdown on defective vehicles in brisbane/australia at the moment. Been in 2 defect lockdowns in mates car in the last week.

Turbo M42 Build thread:

Comment

Originally posted by e30guydownunder View Post
          Those manifolds are bottom mount and you have no hope in hell at getting a nice working bottom mount solution. Trust me I tried :(

You can flip them and use them as a top mount but you need to cut the flange off to relocate it (otherwise the compressor hits the rocker cover). By this time you would be able to add some extra pipe to it for an external gate if you wish.

Actuators are worth bugger all though (I'm still not sure I'm going to use mine).

Regarding what I am doing, I have made my own manifold and have somehow not managed to upload any detailed pictures of it :). Was $50 in elbows from Blackwoods and I had a bunch of waterpipe laying around that I used. I got the flanges made up at work out of 1/2" plate, good ol' workshop guys ;)

It was a very labour intensive project and took considerably longer than I imagined. And mine is only a fairly simple design, pipes are all short and straight as possible, minimise bends, maintaining the heat and flow as best as possible.

For a budget build the ebay manifold with a few tweaks and then suitable braacing of the turbo off the engine to take the load and it should be right. That manifold you have linked shits all over the M5x one that is commonly used, the fact it is actually for an M42 is a good start.

HAR HAR HAR, I did totally miss that, i was too busy attempting to up my post count....geez
          So R3v wasn't even showing me that you'd posted this. I ended up talking to a mate last night while I was out and he's hooking me up with a deal on getting a manifold made from the same bloke that made the manifold for DCR's E30 m3. Told me it should be somewhere under $600 ceramic coated and all. Which is a lot cheaper than getting one through 666fab and it will also be good quality.

After looking into my turbo I have aswell I've decided its a little bit hard to get decent power out of it so I'm now looking at getting a Garret Gt2860 ballbearing off a s15 or s14 sr20 which should mate up quite nicely to a M42. Its also a t25 inlet I beleive so it should help for some quick spool up.

Turbo M42 Build thread:

Comment

. And by second hand job I mean a whole half shaft
            :P
            Wish we had wreckers around here like that

With

HOT

Women

"working"

THere
            Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Originally posted by der affe
            first try a finger or 2, you need to have them suck on it first and get it nice and wet to help it slip in.

if she goes for that, astroglide up your pole, have her lay on her stomach and slip it in slowly and bury it to your balls and leave it there until she relaxes. once she is used to it slam that ass like a screen door.

Comment

After looking into my turbo I have aswell I've decided its a little bit hard to get decent power out of it so I'm now looking at getting a Garret Gt2860 ballbearing off a s15 or s14 sr20 which should mate up quite nicely to a M42. Its also a t25 inlet I beleive so it should help for some quick spool up.
              Nice someone doing all the hard work on the mani is defo worth it. Trust me :D

The GT2860 was my planned upgrade if I end up unhappy with my current turbo (the largest GT2560). A 2860 should still be nice and responsive but have a lot more headroom than the turbo I'm working with. People are running GT3037's on 1.8L M42's around here....the power curve is quite interesting
              - Chris

Comment

So a little update, I got the boot lid top coated and then my gun decided to go and fuck up the clear coat when i sprayed it. I'm now out of clear coat and thinners so I've opted for doing what I should of from the start and I'm going to get the painter at my work to do the top side of the lid. At the end of the day it will probly cost a little bit more but it'll be a better job than I could ever do.

Some parts turned up during the week but I'm still waiting on trailing arm bushings so its halting me from getting it back together.

Pics:

No the turbo's didn't turn up last week :P I've had them for a while and at this stage I probly won't be using either of them and i'll be trying to find a garret gt2860.

I also got a new input seal for my diff from a lucky source. When I went to BMW they were chasing $98 for the seal and I managed to get one the same for free.

Turbo M42 Build thread:

Comment

Nice someone doing all the hard work on the mani is defo worth it. Trust me :D

The GT2860 was my planned upgrade if I end up unhappy with my current turbo (the largest GT2560). A 2860 should still be nice and responsive but have a lot more headroom than the turbo I'm working with. People are running GT3037's on 1.8L M42's around here....the power curve is quite interesting
                  Yeah well I read around a few weeks ago that someone had a T25 and it was running out of puff at like 5500 which really doesn't appeal to me, I want a turbo that will at least pull to redline. Speaking of turbo cars though, Also got to go out in Clutch-Monkeys porsche 964 turbo on friday night. I certainly don't want my e30 to be that fast :P might have trouble getting traction.

Turbo M42 Build thread:

Comment

Lolz I think a turbo porsche would have considerably more power and TORQUE than most turbo M42's.

I'm hoping to run around 20psi...hoping to have not maxxed the turbo out too much at about 6500rpm. But we will just have to wait and see. Besides all those GT28 turbos are closer enough to a bolt in swap for the GT25 I have got :)
                    - Chris

Comment

Lolz I think a turbo porsche would have considerably more power and TORQUE than most turbo M42's.

I'm hoping to run around 20psi...hoping to have not maxxed the turbo out too much at about 6500rpm. But we will just have to wait and see. Besides all those GT28 turbos are closer enough to a bolt in swap for the GT25 I have got :)
                      Yeah well 20psi should be plenty in a e30 anyway, I'm not 100% sure what boost I want to run yet. Because its mainly going to be a street car and i'm not trying to be a drifter I'll start off with 10psi and see where that gets me in terms of power.

Turbo M42 Build thread:

Comment

Okay so this afternoon I got kind of sick of waiting for my trailing arm bushes to show up so I drove a hour to my mates house to get his trailing arm bushes and he'll get mine when they show up. By the time I got home it was about 7:30 so I decided I'll get some done tonight anyway so I can have it all back together tomoro.

All my parts bar the shock mounts to go in.

Fuel to stay awake :P, its 10:30 now and I'm considering going back out now to do more.

Trailing arm bushes in all around. I haven't decided how i'm going to go about getting the subframe bushes out yet. At this stage I'll probly burn them out at some obscenely early time in the morning so the neighbours don't complain. It will also warm me up for a little while.

More updates tomoro!

Turbo M42 Build thread:

Comment

bump, work this time?
                          Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Originally posted by der affe
                          first try a finger or 2, you need to have them suck on it first and get it nice and wet to help it slip in.

if she goes for that, astroglide up your pole, have her lay on her stomach and slip it in slowly and bury it to your balls and leave it there until she relaxes. once she is used to it slam that ass like a screen door.

Comment

Okay so this morning I woke up. Scratched my head and couldnt get the bushes out of the subframe no matter how hard I tried. Then my old man piped up and told me he wants a press and will go halves with me. So $70 and 20 minutes later here we go I have a press.

Pushing the bushes out was a lot easier and then the new ones I pressed in and mounted the trailing arms to it.

So I managed to get each side in concentrating on doing everything on one side before I started the next. The thing that managed to take me stupidly amount of time to figure out is setting the hand brake shoes back up because someone moved where I had it all set out so I had to work it all out again.

One side in.

And the other.

I threw the diff and exhaust in and torqued it all up.

I didn't get a pic of what it looks like in total because it was getting a bit late. I'll get one tomoro sometime.

Car back on the ground.

Took it for a spin and it handles a lot better and rides a lot smoother than before which I'm happy about. The only thing I need to look into is the hand brake thats rubbing/needs adjusting. And find a replacement bolt for the exhaust hanger that dissapeared.

Turbo M42 Build thread:

Comment

Originally posted by DTM190 View Post
                              bump, work this time?
                              It did, And then I posted and it still says yours is the last post hahah.

Turbo M42 Build thread:

Comment

well maybe when i make this post saying

"Great work mate, solid progress" it will update?

I'm about to do all this in my roady, but with OEM bushes...fun fun
                                - Chris

Comment

Working...
                                X