1986 325e - M50 Stroker Turbo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1986 325e - M50 Stroker Turbo

Hello all, I'm starting this thread to track my progress and get others opinions and information. The car is a 1986 325e with 232k. It will be receiving a M50B25 NV from a 92 e36.

The Plan:
    Rebuild and stroke the NV M50. Here is a parts list.
    S52 crank 89.6mm stroke
    Eagle rods 135mm
    Wiseco pistons 84.5mm bore 9.5 compression ratio
    Will be running Megasquirt
    zf e36 trans

Power goals are around 300 to 350 whp. Reliability is the main reason for complete rebuild.

I'm having the machine shop bore 84.5mm, o-ring, knife-edge the crank, and refresh the head. I might have then assemble my block as I have never done anything like this before. I've got a hanyes and bentley on the way so I might work up the courage.

Progress may be slow as I'm in college but I hope to have the stroker in by August.

I haven't researched much on a turbo setup yet. Trying to get the stroker done and in the car. I probably forgot a few things but I'll add and revise as I go.

Thanks for looking. Opinions and concerns are appreciated.
    Last edited by brokenbimmer533; 05-19-2010, 07:55 PM.

Haynes and Bentley are here.
    Few pictures of the parts that have accumulated over the past few months.
    Tear down will start mid July as my summer class takes up most of my time. Trying to get my hands on a set of Integrated Engineering con rods but not sure if that is going to happen. I would like to put a better quality con rod in now instead of tearing it apart later if I ever want to up the boost.

I will also be placing a big order through pelican soon for gaskets, seals, etc.
    The list so far:
    Crank bearings
    rod bearings
    head gasket kit
    lower gasket kit
    front main seal
    rear main seal
    new thermostat
    new water pump
    timing chain/tensioner/guides/etc
    This list will most likely grow as I tear down the engine.

Yet to be ordered:
    Fluidyne radiator, zf tranny, engine harness adapter

On to pictures:

Last edited by brokenbimmer533; 06-29-2010, 05:44 PM.

Comment

I'm stoked on watching this one.

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=162444

Comment

Subscribed.!

Turbo M42 Build thread:
        http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=169672

Comment

You'll make way more than that.

Comment

Cool. Definitely watching this one. Only comment is to make sure the big ends on your Eagle rods are properly sized. A few guys on Bimmerforums have had issues with this.

Will be a great project.
            - Chris
            Project M42 - 255 @ 19 psi

Comment

Originally posted by e30guydownunder View Post
              Cool. Definitely watching this one. Only comment is to make sure the big ends on your Eagle rods are properly sized. A few guys on Bimmerforums have had issues with this.

Will be a great project.
              Will do, thanks for the heads up. I'll check that out.

Comment

excited to see this one
                We can serve you better through Email

sales@blunttech.com
                www.blunttech.com

Like us on Facebook

Comment

Took a break from studying fluid mechanics to start the tear down.
                  My tiny shed I will be doing all the work in. Will be dropping the motor in on the side. Should be fun on gravel.

The mess

Valve cover and accessories off.

Oil pan is off.

Head is off.

As of right now, the zf trans is on hold. I'll probably swap the trans next spring. My g260 is shifting fine and has no problems so it will do the job for now. I am going to put that money else where. I will be refreshing the head. Hopefully I can get the block, crank, rods and pistons into the machine shop next week. I've got my final on July 8th so not much progress will be made. After that I will be placing orders and getting all the parts together to start the rebuild. Assuming I don't spend to much on explosives for the 4th of July. :D
                  Last edited by brokenbimmer533; 06-29-2010, 06:24 PM.

Comment

Little update. I ordered the e36 cooling package without the stock radiator from turnermotorsports. I did get the upgraded water pump for peace of mind. Switched to a mishimoto radiator instead of fluidyne for cost purposes. Still an improvement over the stock radiator and no plastic which is what I wanted. I got a hold of Integrated Engineering and ordered their rods today. Much higher quality and just all around better than my current eagles. Should be ordering the Mishimoto radiator soon. I have my list of rebuild parts together, I just need to get around to ordering it all.

Comment

Sounds awesome. I will be following this as well.

Good luck with the project!

M50B25tu

Comment

Sorry for lack of updates and pictures. Still no pictures yet but the engine is apart and at the machine shop. I am having them assemble the bottom end and check over the head to make sure everything is in proper working order. I got a call today about piston clearance. Probably due to my lack of planning and eagerness to buy on a good deal, I bought pistons from a third party on bimmerforums and the wrist pin location is too low which makes the piston stick out of the block about 2.28mm. MLS does sell a head gasket at .14 in thickness(3.35 mm) but as of right now I'm probably going to buy new pistons as I don't want to risk valve and piston contact on a head gasket. This means roughly another $1000 for new pistons that wasn't in the budget and will definitely push back my drop in date. With school starting back up in a couple weeks I won't be able to work full time so money will be tighter than it is right now. Also no garage means no swap during the winter. So shit, its looking like spring unless I find another way around this problem. Going to the machine shop tomorrow to hang my head and cry. lol

Comment

Pumped to see this build. But on your parts list, you can make a lot more than 350whp. You could go close to 500 reliably from the M50NV builds I've seen.
                          1985 325e 2.8 Turbo VEMS

Comment

Wow
                            ~ Puch Cafe. ~ Do business? feedback ~ Check out my leather company ~

Instagram: @BWeissLeather

Current cars:
                            ~ '87 325 M30B35 swap
                            ~ '87 535
                            ~ 01 540 Msport 6spd
                            ~ '06 X5 4.8is

Comment

Yeah, I was going to say those pistons dont look right. Did the seller say what engine they were made for? m50?

Comment

Working...
                              X