No announcement yet.

Absorbantnut's '87 325is

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow, I thought it would never get done up right. You are doing one amazing job!

I am guessing you don't have anyplace that is wind and dust free. Here is what you should do when you finish the body work:

Go buy 8 10' 2x4s, roll of clear plastic 3' wide is good enough. Dig 8 holes 3 feet deep then bury them with 7 foot remaining out. Now get some roofing nails and cardboard. The cardboard is to keep the wind from tearing plastic free. Wrap your temp painting booth and park your car in there for a final painting. You SHOULD shoot the whole car at once to make an even coat. The temp booth will keep bugs and dust free from your finish color and the clear coating. Will also give a nice place for the paint to set up for two days to be nice and clean =)

P.S. Most DIY places like Lowes have base grade 2x4s that are CHEAP.
    ~ Puch Cafe. ~ Do business? feedback ~ Check out my leather company ~

Instagram: @BWeissLeather

Current cars:
    ~ '87 325 M30B35 swap
    ~ '87 535
    ~ 01 540 Msport 6spd
    ~ '06 X5 4.8is

Comment

Thanks guys, it sure is one crazy ride:D

Originally posted by E30 F34R View Post
      Wow, I thought it would never get done up right. You are doing one amazing job!

I am guessing you don't have anyplace that is wind and dust free. Here is what you should do when you finish the body work:

Go buy 8 10' 2x4s, roll of clear plastic 3' wide is good enough. Dig 8 holes 3 feet deep then bury them with 7 foot remaining out. Now get some roofing nails and cardboard. The cardboard is to keep the wind from tearing plastic free. Wrap your temp painting booth and park your car in there for a final painting. You SHOULD shoot the whole car at once to make an even coat. The temp booth will keep bugs and dust free from your finish color and the clear coating. Will also give a nice place for the paint to set up for two days to be nice and clean =)

P.S. Most DIY places like Lowes have base grade 2x4s that are CHEAP.
      Thanks, and you're right. No place, so its basically just been sprayed in my front & side yard. And thanks for the tips on the homemade booth. That would be an awesome thing to put together for the final few coats, and would be awesome I bet at keeping the bugs and dust out. Oh, and I am doing SINGLE stage paint guys, so just color. Not color and clear.

Hopefully I can make some more progress this week!

'73 2002 m20 turbo [sold] '87 rat rod 325is [couch modded] '91 vert [daily] '88 325is [spec build v1] '84 325 [spec build v2] '99 323i vert [sold]

Comment

damn dude, keep going at it.
        E30 325I > SOLD
        E30 318IS > SOLD
        E39 530I > SOLD
        EP3 > SOLD
        95 M3 > SOLD
        97 M3 > DD

Comment

Well this is gonna slow me down a little bit. Seems that I will now need to spring some $$ for a tire for the vert. The whole sidewall is chewed up and basically paper thin now:o

But I did manage to get a can of this stuff!

Now I can finallly get those patch panels on! woo:D

'73 2002 m20 turbo [sold] '87 rat rod 325is [couch modded] '91 vert [daily] '88 325is [spec build v1] '84 325 [spec build v2] '99 323i vert [sold]

Comment

Here's todays updates. Ill post up some more pctures later of how i went about doing it, but it's not done yet

Here's how it started at about 4

And a few hours later we had this:o

Not too bad for that harbor freight flux welder:p

Comment

Oh holy mother of BONDO. You have stock?
              Need a part? PM me.

Get your Bass on. Luke's r3v Boxes are here: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=198123

Comment

Originally posted by ck_taft325is View Post
                Oh holy mother of BONDO. You have stock?
                Haha, what? And no, that's just a cut up fender, I showed it a page or two back. I only just got to welding it

Comment

Holy Hell man! You've saved that damn car. I wouldn't have touched it with a ten foot pole, but you made it happen. I admire your dedication. Seriously really impressive.
                  -Nick
                  Originally posted by 87e30
                  First of all: calm the fuck down; second of all; cool story bro.

Comment

Ok, so heres the ste by stepp of me welding in the rear quarter patch.

First, I started off with the hole cut out when I was "de-rusting" it and making the patches.

Then hit it with the grinder to prep the edges.

Hit it with some weld thru primer

2nd coat

Removing the tape lines. Got some overspray, but it will be sanded off anyways.

Yeah, you can weld thru this stuff

Stripped the fender line of paint

Hit the patches with some weld thru primer too

Taped up in place. Put a few tacks on for good measure

Uh oh:( Starting to get some burn thru

Bad news, now the welder is only burning thru the metal, and no matter what I do I cant fill in the holes. Then in some places, I'm not getting any penetration with the welds

Comment

No offense, but I would cut that all back out and get someone else to do it properly, or get a little more practice in before you try it again. Looks almost like you tried to plug weld the panel in place? Even the thinnest flux core wire and using weld through primer is gonna make a huge job like that a PITA. I hate that weld-through paint. You can get a small bottle of C25 gas for under $150 and some .023 wire for $10 and you'll have much better luck with your welding. Just my thoughts,

good progress with everything tho! :)

Ohioriders.com
                      OhioBimmers.com

Comment

Originally posted by OhioriderAaron View Post
                        No offense, but I would cut that all back out and get someone else to do it properly, or get a little more practice in before you try it again. Looks almost like you tried to plug weld the panel in place? Even the thinnest flux core wire and using weld through primer is gonna make a huge job like that a PITA. I hate that weld-through paint. You can get a small bottle of C25 gas for under $150 and some .023 wire for $10 and you'll have much better luck with your welding. Just my thoughts,

good progress with everything tho! :)
                        Yeah, I was thinking about that today. Figured I'd give it a go anyways though, couldn't really do too much more harm to it. Not sure what plug welding is or C25 gas, but this was mainly just for a learning experience. I think that I will just cut it out, make a new patch, and take it to a shop and see how much they would charge to weld it in. I suppose that that would save me some money versus having them to everything.

Comment

Awesome

Yes a handful but kudos to your perseverance!
                          ... Greased Monkey ...

Comment

Originally posted by Marcos View Post
                            Yes a handful but kudos to your perseverance!
                            Haha, I hope so. Thanks:D

Well I've got the trunk almost all sanded up and ready to be shot. But finals are getting in my way:hitler: After tuesday though, I should be able to get a steady pace going!

Comment

the surfice that you are welding on the back fender is not even cleaned enough? take away more color then you should see that it's going to be more easy for you to handle the welding.. to start with..

Comment

Originally posted by FugitivE View Post
                                the surfice that you are welding on the back fender is not even cleaned enough? take away more color then you should see that it's going to be more easy for you to handle the welding.. to start with..
                                So I'm guessing taking and grinding it down to bare; clean metal just isn't good enough? How much further should I take it:D

Comment

Working...
                                X