Absorbantnut's '87 325is

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by trackjunkie21 View Post
    Good word. Did you sand the kidneys before you painted them? Car is looking better and better. Can't wait to see the green Valve Cover.
    I did a scuff up with some 100 grit , but didnt really put that much work into it. I couldve made it turn out lot better if I took my time and sanded some more, but I didnt really care at that point. I just wanted to get it back together, and it turned out pretty decent.

So yesterday and today, I rebuilt the right driveaxel and put on new boots and cleaned out the old grease and such. Then today I went to put it back in and found out that the wheel nut had the first few threads stripped so it wouldnt thread onto the driveaxel. Off to the junkyard and 3 dollars later I had one driveaxel back in. Next I popped off the left wheel nut getting ready to remove the left driveaxel. Now Its sitting in my room waiting to be "rebuilt".

And as question
    so my rear shocks are dead, and someone is giving away free 91 318 rears and I would just have to pay shipping. Do they work?
    Last edited by AbsorbantNut; 08-14-2010, 05:50 PM.

'73 2002 m20 turbo [sold] '87 rat rod 325is [couch modded] '91 vert [daily] '88 325is [spec build v1] '84 325 [spec build v2] '99 323i vert [sold]

Comment

Gonna go and see a guy about welding on my "new rear end" this weekend hopefully Ill get some pics of stuff up in a sec.

My boots! There are four, I just took one out

So much for 6 bucks!

Old, dirty grease on the joint

Cup the joint fits into also filled with dirt and grease

balls that allow it to move freely in joint covered in dirt and old grease

Joint parts all clean and shiny, and a good pic of what the old boot looked like

Finished product! After an hour of trouble, its done

shot of the nice, clean, new boots, no rips and leaking grease!

Shot of the other end, also a new boot. That black stuff is just some paint that was peeling off, I scrubbed most of it off and that stuck.

old boot trouble

And its in! And I cleaned up the wheel well area again. I had paintd the rotor hats real quick with some black paint after removing some rust from them when I took them off. Where the wheel mounts though, the paint likes to come off. Oh well, nobody will see there anyways when the wheels on, which is only like 20% of the time now

Those are my rear tires, fronts arent much better. Now is that a worn tire or what

'73 2002 m20 turbo [sold] '87 rat rod 325is [couch modded] '91 vert [daily] '88 325is [spec build v1] '84 325 [spec build v2] '99 323i vert [sold]

Comment

I had worn tires like that on a couple of my E30's.

It gets real annoying, really quick.
        My previous build (currently E30-less)
        http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=170390

A 2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4x4 Offroad in Inferno is my newest obsession

Comment

Greeatt work ! This makes me get motivated to start doing more of the overhaul my 318is needs. First project need to try an learn as much as i can. Hesitant to start tearing apart wanna make sure i can figure out how to put it all back together. MORE PICTURESSS though helps me out a ton. Happy Building

Comment

Originally posted by MR E30 325is View Post
            I had worn tires like that on a couple of my E30's.

It gets real annoying, really quick.
            Your telling me, and I think its happening to me because the shocks are blown. So when I go over a bump, I go down 2-3'' in the rear, so i tuck tire and the exhaust scrapes. Its like its screaming for stance or something But anyways, I get a buttload of pos camber, so I think thats whats up with the weird wear. Im just gonna use my two good spare tires, and buy some used tires for up front until I get a new set of rims, or I find a good tire deal.

Originally posted by gannett43 View Post
            Greeatt work ! This makes me get motivated to start doing more of the overhaul my 318is needs. First project need to try an learn as much as i can. Hesitant to start tearing apart wanna make sure i can figure out how to put it all back together. MORE PICTURESSS though helps me out a ton. Happy Building
            Thanks buddy:D
            I read a bunch before I just jump into things, so like you said, you know wtf is going on. I would love to take more pics, especially if I had a legit camera! I should start a fund

I priced some stuff up at autohausAZ some more for the front end bushings. I basically need them all, which gives me a great chance to upgrade!

So far, I only know to upgrade the stock CABs(control arm bushings) to the offset m3 bushings because they are solid rubber(stock has holes) and they are offset, moving the wheel back in the wheel well.

Any others?

Comment

Well school started a few weeks ago which has basically destroyed my progress. Then I got a job, and cross country started. As of two days ago, the car was sitting in front of the house as it has been for a few weeks. Then, I brought it up to the guy who would weld it, and it should be getting welded up tomorrow. I get to wake up at 6 to meet him and see how its gonna go.

Havent bought anything new for it, or used, but a member here, Silence, pointed me in the direction of a good junkyard, Ill drop by their on tuesday hopefully.

Comment

been meaning to ask what the meaning of your pic and name are...

Comment

Originally posted by ieatmango View Post
                  been meaning to ask what the meaning of your pic and name are...
                  Hehe;)

The beginning

As you can see, things had started to get out of hand

Heres part of the old piece cut out, it came out as a whole, but for some reason, we chopped part of it off.

Fitting the new piece, we cut it so it could keep the original "U bar thingy" and be structurally sound

He began welding it on

Heres the new piece in place, and the beginning of the body work

Fixing the horrible quarter, if you look in the old pictures, it has a panel welded on that didnt quite fit and it had a gouge missing from what looks like a terrible hit with a grinder. So it was sanded down to the bare metal and was made a smooth as possible. Then we put on a massive ammount of bondo, and tried to get it back to factory specs.

This photo shows some more of the body work, but we werent done yet. I dont think I have any finished photos at the moment, but I figured this was a big enough update on its own.

Comment

wtf does that mean

Comment

Originally posted by ieatmango View Post
                      wtf does that mean
                      I made a guest profile on a friends profile, and this is what my name was

true story

Comment

Well, I still cant get it started. The new CPS solved the no spark issue so now I get spark, but still no pwoer to the fuel pump. Its not the relays, fuse 11, or the ECU. Oh well, I know Ill figure it out sooner or later.

Heres some updated I've been doing since the cars been down

I found that a lot of people were just painting the whole cover and sanding the letters and it was beginning to look boring, so I decided to do it a different way. This was taken after it rained, so its got some rain spots on it and a lot of dirt and bondo dust, but when I wipe them off it shines so brightly

Then I decided to step things up a notch...

What is that thing? On the rear of the car? Lets take a closer look

Bam! $50 plastic bumper with all hardware from the junkyard except the two side trim pieces. I still need to slot the bumper holes so I can move it up so it fits flush and trim the sides to fit the higher early model arches, but this was just a test fit.

Mocked up on the sides with wood and tape

And heres the templated I made for the [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]front [COLOR=blue !important]bumper[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR]. Someone asked me for them, so I figured I'd share it with everyone.

Its all measured in centimeters and its two cm thick.

Thats all for now!

Comment

it started!!!!11!!!1!

Comment

Lol congrats man. That's how I felt last night after cranking and cranking.....

That sounds horrible when I read it out loud.

Comment

Originally posted by DREWHALL View Post
                              Lol congrats man. That's how I felt last night after cranking and cranking.....

That sounds horrible when I read it out loud.
                              Thanks man, boy does it feel good to be driving stick again:D

Hahaha, its straight, it just feels so good when it runs

Comment

Well, I ordered a new radio, and heres the stock photo if anyone wants to see. It should be here in a week or two. Supposedly I can pick from 30 thousand colors. Hopefully there's a BMW red/orange:D

And the duplicate title should be arriving anytime! It was shipped down today! Then I can get her insured and drive it!

Comment

Working...
                                X