My Maserati Biturbo project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Progress

The holidays proved a little more productive on the Biturbo than I had initially planned. On Thanksgiving, my father and I spent about 4 hours just getting the car to sit right. I can't begin to explain how thankful I am for Ed and the crew at Ground Control for taking our auto cad drawings and creating a top-notch coil over system.

This is the first time the car had seen daylight in over a year...

Keep in mind the car has yet to be wet-sanded or buffed out. The above pictures are pretty raw and I'm not thrilled about the glare making the paint look orange. Alas, I am no photographer and my equipment is sub par at best.

During Christmas, we got some reassembly finished and we ordered new lips for the rear. New rear wheel size will be 16x10.5.

Yup, dem der be dat e30 fogs.

So what's next? For starters, the exhaust system is being welded up as we speak using a 335i coupe Remus system all hacked up and put back together again. The rear subframe is similar to an e30 and we'll be using Ireland Engineering's kit to adjust the rear camber.

I don't think I can express how similar this car is to an e30 and how many parts are interchangeable..

After the exhaust is done, the camber is dialed in and it warms up a little we will install the new interior. It will, much like the rest of the car, be true to stock with a few twists...stay tuned and thanks for looking!

Comment

sex.....

Comment

This is such an awesome project! What is is that JC always says, something along the lines of 'You're not a true petrol-head until you've owned an Alfa'?

You, sir, are doing it right :up:

Comment

I cant take it, Im in love.
          sigpic
          New website releasing soon www.gutenparts.com Guten Parts + Service | Facebook | Twitter

Levent
          %20levent@gutenparts.com

Comment

Great project, great to hear you hooked up with Ingo from Tunershop.com for help, he's a great guy and knows pretty much everything there is to know about wheels... and building cars.
            PBMW Magazine. PVW Mag

Fender Rolling for dirt cheap in SoCal. Hit me up.

Check out my work...

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=165114

Comment

awesome!
              90 535i
              5spd, M5 front seats, M5 rear bar,H&R Sports, Miller maf conversion

Comment

Originally posted by Tonys18t View Post
                Great project, great to hear you hooked up with Ingo from Tunershop.com for help, he's a great guy and knows pretty much everything there is to know about wheels... and building cars.
                I ordered my first set of wheels from him when I bought a set of CR7s for my Jetta back in '02. I've given him all of business since then. I'm a little bummed that he finished his Biturbo before me though...

I enjoyed your write-up in last month's PBMW by the way.

Thanks for all the kind words. This think has a long way to go yet!

Comment

This looks like a cool project but the two tone paint ruins it for me. One solid color would look so much better.

Comment

Originally posted by nwvb bmw View Post
                    This looks like a cool project but the two tone paint ruins it for me. One solid color would look so much better.
                    Car was 2 tone from the factory, I just raised the break line. Solid color on a car with no side trim is nothing short of monotonous.

Comment

Any new updates? I just made an '84 Biturbo my daily a few weeks ago.
                      84 Maserati Biturbo (broken)
                      77 Fiat X1/9 (daily)
                      89 MB 190e 2.6 (wife's)

Comment

Originally posted by m4ff3w View Post
                        Any new updates? I just made an '84 Biturbo my daily a few weeks ago.
                        Pure insanity for an carb'd car. Best of luck and if you need anything, let me know. I am on the hunt for a clean pre-87 body for my next project. We're planning on building an S52-powered Biturbo as my new daily.

My father is currently stitching up the interior. Being that everything in the interior is covered in either leather or suede, it's a loooooooong process. I'm waiting until it's all done to post up any updates.

Thanks for the interest and all of your comments.

Comment

Hopefully I can eventually find a FI manifold/plenum/etc and megasquirt her. I love MS2/Extra in my X1/9.

I've put about 1000 miles on her since the 22nd.

I was really surprised at the weight of the early cars, surprisingly light though nose-heavy. I did find a 31mm anti-roll bar on her. Don't know who made it though.

Can't wait to see updates, the exterior on your car is beautiful.

Mine isn't as nice. The pictures are very flattering.

Do you have a parts car you've pulled from?
                          84 Maserati Biturbo (broken)
                          77 Fiat X1/9 (daily)
                          89 MB 190e 2.6 (wife's)

Comment

Project's coming along very nice, small suggestion is to look for some Hella or Cibie H4/H1 for your normal lamps. They are out there still. Look forward to next update.
                            https://www.facebook.com/BentOverRacing

Comment

That's an awesome car to build up. My mom had one back in the '80's when it was new and still talks about it to this day. Her and dad loved that car.

Comment

Wow. That is absolutely fantastic!
                                -Geno

'87 325is (s52'd)
                                '95 525iT
                                '02 Range Rover 4.6 HSE
                                '98 Disco 1

Comment

Working...
                                X