My Maserati Biturbo project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BoxDriver86 View Post
    Car was 2 tone from the factory, I just raised the break line. Solid color on a car with no side trim is nothing short of monotonous.
    what? You have pictures on page 1 of this same car with side trim and no 2-tone. How often does anyone look at a 911 and think, "hmm, you know, this Porsche could really benefit from having a 2-tone paint job."???
    sigpic

Comment

^^With all due respect, that's completely different. [Some of] these came from the factory 'two-tone' sort of like the E30 is 'two-tone'. By that, I am referring to the lower rear valance, rocker, and lip spoiler (on some cars) which are all black in contrast to the rest of the body. Our Maserati was red on top and all of the lower trim was anthracite grey.

I do see your point, but there are plenty of cars that are 'two-tone' in the same respect that this one came stock. The OP definitely made it a full on two tone though by raising the paint line that much..
      Last edited by rThor432; 03-12-2011, 12:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by rThor432 View Post
        ^^With all due respect, that's completely different. [Some of] these came from the factory 'two-tone' sort of like the E30 is 'two-tone'. By that, I am referring to the lower rear valance, rocker, and lip spoiler (on some cars) which are all black in contrast to the rest of the body. Our Maserati was red on top and all of the lower trim was anthracite grey.

I do see your point, but there are plenty of cars that are 'two-tone' in the same respect that this one came stock. The OP definitely made it a full on two tone though by raising the paint line that much..
        Didn't notice the black rockers the first time around on the stock paint job. I hardly consider that 2-tone, I guess the OP does though. Not diggin' the new paint job, but cool build nonetheless. Hardly ever see Bi-Turbos. Maseratis are flat out gangster.
        sigpic

Comment

The OP was talking about this:

when he was talking about the factory two tone on some models.
          84 Maserati Biturbo (broken)
          77 Fiat X1/9 (daily)
          89 MB 190e 2.6 (wife's)

Comment

ah ok right on
            sigpic

Comment

Nice project. I've always liked the design of this car,and you've taken it to a new level. Love the stance. Cant wait to see it all complete.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by m4ff3w View Post
                The OP was talking about this:

when he was talking about the factory two tone on some models.
                Correct. I had a parts car that was identical to this one which was supposed to be the original project car until I stumbled on the Si and god I wanted that fuel injection.

Originally posted by Ziggens96 View Post
                How often does anyone look at a 911 and think, "hmm, you know, this Porsche could really benefit from having a 2-tone paint job."???
                Never. That would look awful. Good thing this isn't nearly as legitimate as a 911.

I know some folks won't love the two-tone nearly as much I do but I feel it really suits the car and more importantly the project overall. My father and I argued about it for months before the paint got put down. I really do appreciate the comments though. It's definitely not everyone's cup of tea.

The 31mm front bar mentioned earlier is made by MIE if I recall correctly. They are a wealth of parts but are way too overpriced.

I just started a new job and am getting married in May so updates from this point may not be swift. The original idea was to have the car done for the wedding but I would rather not rush it and my e30 needs a ton of work. Oddly enough, the fiancee would rather drive away from the ceremony in the e30, so clearly that's where the focus is going to be until after I get back from the honeymoon.

Thanks to all of you for letting me document the process here and keeping me motivated to get this thing done...at some point. As excited as I am to see it finished, I am already on the search for my next project. If anyone has a line on a Renault R5 Turbo II, let a brother know. I'd like to have it in storage by mid-summer so I can start the planning stages for next winter. The plan is to get it done by the time the world ends in 2012. :D

Cheers!

Comment

that looks amazing. congrats.
                  AWD > RWD

Comment

love that stance!
                    sigpic

http://r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=201774

Comment

Sick thread, will be back for updates!
                      Originally posted by Dozyproductions
                      You know why you're drinking that Pabst? No its probably not because it was the first beer you grabbed. It's because you're a winner.

Comment

Originally posted by BoxDriver86 View Post
                        As excited as I am to see it finished, I am already on the search for my next project. If anyone has a line on a Renault R5 Turbo II, let a brother know.
                        I've actually seen one parked in a guy's driveway up here...20 mins. or so from Lime Rock. He had an old 911, a Testarossa, and 1 or 2 other interesting cars as well. I pulled over to get a better look, and the Renault looked like a project car for sure, but seemed like it has fared pretty well overall over the years. I only stayed for a moment because I didn't want to look too suspicious, but next time I go up that way I'll try to talk to the owner.
                        sigpic

Comment

Greenville's not too far away from me, I'd love to come take some shots of this car (plus anything else you might have) some time this summer :)
                          Jason
                          flickr

Comment

The wheels are 4x100 ? and whats the et # on the stock wheels you put on your e30 from the maserati ?
                            Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

garage queen 91 bmw 325is / 1972 Chevy El Camino 355 sbc 450hp

Comment

4x98
                              Jason
                              flickr

Comment

I always liked these maseratis ! Always wanted to get one and re-do it

Comment

Working...
                                X